cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board  

Go Back   cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board > non-Sports > Chit Chat
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

View Poll Results: Do you feel guilty for never having fought in a war?
Yes 10 33.33%
No 19 63.33%
N/A; I did. 1 3.33%
Voters: 30. You may not vote on this poll

Old 09-24-2007, 07:20 PM   #31
MikeWaters
Demiurge

MikeWaters is an unknown quantity at this point

Remembering the dead in general impersonal ways is fine. Remember the dead after the war is over, that is fine also.

It's remembering the dead in the specific, during the war, that gets a few people upset.

Last edited by MikeWaters; 09-24-2007 at 08:31 PM.
MikeWaters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2007, 08:26 PM   #32
Tex

Tex is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeWaters View Post
Remembering the dead in general impersonal ways is fine. Remember the dead after the war is over, that is fine also.

It's remembering the dead in the specific, during the way, that gets a few people upset.
Now that's just plain disingenuous. I don't think any sane American has a problem with remembering the dead in specific ways; they just don't like it being done with a political agenda.

I don't know if they do it anymore, but Fox used to have a regular segment on Brit Hume's show once a week where they interviewed a current-war Iraq vet and showcased his heroism. I only saw a couple of them, so I couldn't tell you if they profiled those KIA, but if tastefully done, I think it can be a wonderful reminder of the ultimate sacrifice these servicemen make for us.

- Cali Coug

"Oh dear, granny, what a long tail our puss has got."

- Brigham Young
Tex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2007, 09:14 PM   #33
SeattleUte

SeattleUte has a little shameless behaviour in the past

The no votes just don't get it, don't get war's vital relation to civilization. You're supposed to feel guilty or you're messed up.

—Paul Auster
SeattleUte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2007, 09:17 PM   #34
MikeWaters
Demiurge

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeattleUte View Post
The no votes just don't get it, don't get war's vital relation to civilization. You're supposed to feel guilty or you're messed up.
and the less guilty one feels, generally the more ready one is willing to support a war.
Old 09-24-2007, 09:23 PM   #35
SeattleUte

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeWaters View Post
and the less guilty one feels, generally the more ready one is willing to support a war.
Here is an article that addresses this truism. Just read the first few paragraphs describing Baruma's experience at a neocon party in Brussels on the eve of our invasion of Iraq.

http://www.nybooks.com/articles/20590

—Paul Auster
Old 09-24-2007, 09:27 PM   #36
BYU71

BYU71 is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Here is an article that addresses this truism. Just read the first few paragraphs describing Baruma's experience at a neocon party in Brussels on the eve of our invasion of Iraq.

http://www.nybooks.com/articles/20590
My Dad spent four years in Europe fighting WWII. He supports Bush and the War in Iraq. Can I use his vote as one who has served and votes the war is OK.

He also thinks the Clintons suck.
BYU71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2007, 09:55 PM   #37
SeattleUte

Quote:
Originally Posted by BYU71 View Post
My Dad spent four years in Europe fighting WWII. He supports Bush and the War in Iraq. Can I use his vote as one who has served and votes the war is OK.

He also thinks the Clintons suck.
If you think I'm an anti-war pacifist you've missed my message. you are lucky to have a father like that.

—Paul Auster
Old 09-24-2007, 11:23 PM   #38
RockyBalboa

RockyBalboa is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via MSN to RockyBalboa

I didn't see this thread just until now, but would like to add my 2 cents.

For awhile back from 1999-2002 I was reading everything I could get my hands in regards to WWII. The fact that 50-60 million people perished in that war is such a mind boggling stat that I have difficulty wrapping my brain around it. 400-500K of those American Casualties.

After reading a lot about it I became convinced that for the sake of plagiarizing Tom Brokaw that it was indeed "The Greatest Generation".

I'm part of Gen X. We didn't really have to do much or sacrifice much. The more I watched kids in this day and age the more I'm convinced they haven't a clue what real sacrifice means and just how much for granted they take their freedoms.

My Dad was drafted for the Korean War and suffered a severe back injury during Boot Camp and never went overseas. I'm grateful for the bad backs he's passed on to his 5 sons. All in his regime, save 7, were slaughtered on PorkChop Hill.

I also take my freedoms way too much for granted.

I have found myself many times regretting that I never served in the military or ever have to go to war helping to fulfill my duty. Part of that guilt admittedly drives me to cherish those even more who sacrificed on my behalf.

I guess that's also part of the reason why I take a great deal of pride in my brothers now 20 year career in the USAF. He's served 2 tours in the middle east during the war and is on the rotation to leave again sometime next Spring.

He's coming home next week, bringing his son to the MTC and all 8 siblings will be in town for what may likely be the final real family picture because of my parents continued downward health.

I've a nephew who also served 12 months in Afghanistan in the Army.

Sorry this is such a long winded explanation to make my point, but there's many things in life I've likely missed and being able to serve my country in that regard is one of them. Am I grateful I never went to war or had to fight? Yes I am,,,but at the same time.....well I'm sure you all get the point.

Last edited by RockyBalboa; 09-24-2007 at 11:32 PM.
RockyBalboa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2007, 12:49 AM   #39
Goatnapper'96
Recruiting Coordinator/Bosom Inspector

Goatnapper'96 is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
I almost signed back up after 9/11. I decided against it, I don't feel guilty. I miss the cameraderie of the service. I miss the NCO corps, so much easier to get things done than the civilian world. I don't miss the political correctness movement facilitating an atmosphere where I spent more time in consideration for others training than I spent actually maneuvering my Scout platoon. I guess I was a bit bitter that there was not the money to ensure that the units were adequately trained for their wartime missions, IMO the American people owe that to those who volunteer to put their lives on the line for ma and apple pie. I am sure there is plenty of money now.

Many of the soldiers were really good kids, often with less than desirable pasts, just trying to improve their lives. Similar to serving a mission it made me grateful for the blessings of my upbringing and solidified my conviction to the temporal blessings of a healthy, wholesome and spiritual life as advocated by LDS doctrine. It made me aware that others with issues have reasons and challenges/baggage that I luckily might never understand. It helped me to not be so egocentrical or judgemental. The NCOs were the best. Most of mine had been complete wasters/high school dropouts/druggies who found some discipline in the service and developed into some of the best pure leaders of men I ever had the pleasure of knowing. They were profane, vile and pretty damn offensive. However, in their own way they had a genuine love of their troopers, very much true charity in my opinion. They would work like mad to make sure their men were trained for whatever contingency would come and I believed most of them would have laid their life on the line for each other. I was proud to have served with them. My professional life has never been as fun or fulfilling since I gave up my platoon in November, 1998.

To those who wonder the reason I got out was this. I wasn't overly attracted to the power. I liked the adrenaline rushes of blowing shit up and maneuvering units. I loved the tactics and the team building. I loved the idealism of genuinely believing what I did mattered. I loved being around the soldiers, doing PT and screaming ridiculous cadences. I didn't get my jollies off being saluted, called "Sir" or everyone standing up when I came around. I think most career officers have to have some attraction to the power or else it is not worth it to put up with the bullshit that you spend 90% of your garrison (day to day on post operations; i.e. not out in the field playing GI Joe) time doing. IMO the Army only looked fun for an officer as a Platoon Leader and a commander. The rest of the jobs are not a great deal different than what one does in the civilian world. It did not look worth it to me to put 20 years in to actually enjoy yourself for 4 of them, two as a PL and two as a Commander. So I got out and moved amongst the rednecks.
Old 09-25-2007, 12:54 AM   #40
MikeWaters
Demiurge

Rocky FWIW they extended the age limit and have liberalized all sorts of qualifications, that it would be shocking if you couldn't enlist, should you so choose.

Of course, like the rest of us, you may not want to do it at this time. But it's not too late, I don't think.

There's a vague chance I might become a VA employee in the next few years, but that's a whole different ball of wax. No commitment there.