cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board  

Go Back   cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board > non-Sports > Chit Chat
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01-23-2009, 06:13 PM   #41
Archaea
Assistant to the Regional Manager

Archaea is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by BarbaraGordon View Post
Exactly. I'm glad I only have boys. All I have to worry about are the annual visits to the ER.
Only annual?

We got real familiar with ours for a while there.
Old 01-23-2009, 06:42 PM   #42
Tex

Tex is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by creekster View Post
Tex, please take this as a sincere quesiton, but do you have children, and specifically do you have a daughter? I would have agreed with what you write here until I had kids and in aprticualr until I had a daughter. When my daughter was born I was suddenly aware unlike I had been before of a world full of subtle but powerful messages telling her what she is supposed to be good at, and what she is supposed to do and how she needs to behave. It suddenly bothered me a lot more than it ever did before.

I would not censor the snow white sotry, as I said before, but I can certainly understand the reasons RHG might think she would want to do it.
Creekster, I don't disagree that messages have to be managed. I'll give you some examples.

I have one friend for whom the A-Team was banned in his home because it was too violent. For another, Dukes of Hazzard was off limits because of Daisy Duke. Another friend who is a huge Star Wars fan wanted to pass that love on to his son, immersing him in the whole franchise when the new films came out. It was great--until he discovered his son was getting TOO much into it. He got a little carried away and his wife helped him realize they need to back it off a little. I have a family member who banned Nickelodeon's old You Can't Do That on Television in her house because she saw a comedy sketch where a mother told her child, "I don't love you at all."

Personally, I hate beauty magazines. I think they are guilty as charged of objectifying women. There are very few positive role models in entertainment today. Most popular stars you can think of today have at some point in their careers either stripped for the camera, or done a sex scene, or both.

I understand some of the risks in raising children today amidst this maelstrom of media, and I agree that caution and good judgment has to be exercised. But I reiterate: the reasons to oppose Snow White are trivial. I'm laughing even now at the very thought.

The idea that Snow White will foster some girl to think her mission in life is to darn socks for little bachelor miners, or that only pure-white skinned, honey-voiced damsels are beautiful, or that they are completely powerless frail little women without a Prince Charming to save them is ridiculous.

Let me tell you: your daughters will be far more influenced simply by how they watch you treat your wife (their mother) than any movie ever could.

If Barbara or RHG wants to ban these tales, fine for them. I don't really care. But don't get on my case for calling it as I see it: silly.

- Cali Coug

"Oh dear, granny, what a long tail our puss has got."

- Brigham Young

Last edited by Tex; 01-23-2009 at 06:45 PM.
Tex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2009, 03:15 AM   #43
il Padrino Ute
Board Pinhead

il Padrino Ute is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Exactly. I'm glad I only have boys. All I have to worry about are the annual visits to the ER.
Only once a year?

My oldest is on a first-name basis with the ER staff.

Oldest boy: "I'll take care of this myself, doc. You ought to take care those folks who really need your help."

"This is now the joke that stupid people laugh at." - Christopher Hitchens on IQ jokes about GWB.
il Padrino Ute is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2009, 03:20 AM   #44
BarbaraGordon

BarbaraGordon is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Archaea View Post
Only annual?

We got real familiar with ours for a while there.
Quote:
Originally Posted by il Padrino Ute View Post
Only once a year?

My oldest is on a first-name basis with the ER staff.
Mine are young yet. Give them a couple years.
BarbaraGordon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2009, 04:33 AM   #45
il Padrino Ute
Board Pinhead

il Padrino Ute is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Mine are young yet. Give them a couple years.
By the time the oldest was 8, he'd had over 100 stitches from having his kind of fun. The other boy has yet to get stitches, but has broken one arm and the other wrist.

Of course, my boys are nuts. Your boy probably isn't.

"This is now the joke that stupid people laugh at." - Christopher Hitchens on IQ jokes about GWB.
il Padrino Ute is offline   Reply With Quote