cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board  

Go Back   cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board > SPORTS! > Football
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-18-2010, 08:15 PM   #1
MikeWaters
Demiurge

MikeWaters is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Holmoe sends signals that BYU may end rivalry with Utah

http://espn.go.com/blog/ncfnation/po...-rivalry-alive

Quote:
“BYU and Utah have over time developed one of the storied rivalries in college athletics,” Holmoe said in a statement released from the school. “Utah’s move to a different conference will certainly have an effect on the rivalry; however, at this point it’s hard to know to what extent. [Utah athletic director] Dr. Chris Hill and I have a very good relationship and will certainly be talking about this in the future. For now, we’re grateful for the long tradition of athletic competition between the two schools.”
Great idea Tom. I would 100% support not playing Utah. Cut the cord. Move on. They have better things to do. So do we.

Let them duke it out with Colorado at the end of November.
MikeWaters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2010, 03:12 AM   #2
MikeWaters
Demiurge

Samuelson's statement is a signal as well to Utah that it is no certainty BYU and Utah will continue to have a relationship.
Quote:
BYU President Cecil O. Samuelson said after Thursday's announcement, "Since January 1909 Brigham Young University and the University of Utah have belonged to the same conference, establishing one of the great rivalries in college athletics. I wish President Young and the University of Utah well in their move to the Pac-10 Conference."
http://www.sltrib.com/D=g/ci_15323317
Old 06-19-2010, 02:53 PM   #3
SeattleUte

SeattleUte has a little shameless behaviour in the past

Reading Kyle's and Chris' quotes between the lines I don't sense a huge eagerness to play BYU. It must be exhausting, all the hate and smack. They can probably do without the stress even if the fans thrive on it. Fans can go back to work on Monday and can just forget about it. It is Chris' and Kyle's lives. Just based on what I'm reading, I woudn't be surprised to see Utah say, "Gosh, we sure tried but..." They're probably secretly relieved that they don't necessarily have to put up with it anymore. Like being the oldest brother and going away to college and getting away from the no. 2 brother after he was in your face your whole life and challenging you to one on one basketball and chess and keeping track of who was dating whom, etc., and you had to whup him every now and then to let him know his place but it was sure getting old and you're glad for a long break from him. A secret relief.

—Paul Auster
SeattleUte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2010, 06:51 PM   #4
MikeWaters
Demiurge

It's not good for the state, it's not good for BYU. It only serves the interests of Mormon-haters.

End it.

You are wrong btw. Utah's statement was much more in favor of continuing the series. Why? Probably in part, Utah has been among the poorest athletic departments in the nation.

BYU is a national team. It need not concern itself with the pettiness that is Utah.
Old 06-20-2010, 05:38 AM   #5
ute4ever
I must not tell lies

ute4ever is an unknown quantity at this point

Take this FWIW:

I know a few people in high places in the Utah AD and Admin. Those media statements are always the vague, read-between-the-lines type. Despite what the public had been told up through Wednesday, Utah and the PAC-10 had been a done deal since March. The "official offer" on June 16 and subsequent board meetings were merely formalities.

My point is, various key personnel in various schools are several steps ahead of what is being reported to the media. In Utah's case, their friends and rivals at BYU and Utah State have also known about the shift ever since March. And the three school's ADs have been discussing what to do with the annual rivalry games. MWC teams play 8 conference and 4 OOC games, while PAC-10 teams play 9 conference and 3 OOC games, and they want to continue that format.

As a result, if Utah were to continue to play both BYU and Utah St every year, it would leave them with only one open game every year. So presently they are discussing halving the two rivalries: playing BYU for two straight years and then Utah State for two, or playing every other year.

Those preliminary, intentionally vague press releases can be read several ways, but it has nothing to do with one school being too proud, or too bitter, or eager to sever ties. But final decisions won't be made until the conference carousel is finished, so don't expect any final announcements for months.

And on a side note, my buddy in the Ole Miss AD office says that Arkansas has zero interest in joining the Big XII.
ute4ever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2010, 12:55 PM   #6
MikeWaters
Demiurge

you mean done deal as a back-up to Big 12 teams?

If what you say is true, and BYU and Utah would not play for two consecutive seasons, that is confirmation of the death of the rivalry.
Old 06-20-2010, 04:34 PM   #7
Archaea
Assistant to the Regional Manager

Archaea is an unknown quantity at this point

The rivalry is no more.

Utahns may continue to enjoy some banter, but the churchwide interest in the rivalry is done.

It was a long rivalry, so I'm sad to see it end, but it's gone and BYU will be hated by somebody else very soon. That's where my focus will be then.
Old 06-20-2010, 06:37 PM   #8
SeattleUte

Quote:
Originally Posted by ute4ever View Post
Take this FWIW:

I know a few people in high places in the Utah AD and Admin. Those media statements are always the vague, read-between-the-lines type. Despite what the public had been told up through Wednesday, Utah and the PAC-10 had been a done deal since March. The "official offer" on June 16 and subsequent board meetings were merely formalities.

My point is, various key personnel in various schools are several steps ahead of what is being reported to the media. In Utah's case, their friends and rivals at BYU and Utah State have also known about the shift ever since March. And the three school's ADs have been discussing what to do with the annual rivalry games. MWC teams play 8 conference and 4 OOC games, while PAC-10 teams play 9 conference and 3 OOC games, and they want to continue that format.

As a result, if Utah were to continue to play both BYU and Utah St every year, it would leave them with only one open game every year. So presently they are discussing halving the two rivalries: playing BYU for two straight years and then Utah State for two, or playing every other year.

Those preliminary, intentionally vague press releases can be read several ways, but it has nothing to do with one school being too proud, or too bitter, or eager to sever ties. But final decisions won't be made until the conference carousel is finished, so don't expect any final announcements for months.

And on a side note, my buddy in the Ole Miss AD office says that Arkansas has zero interest in joining the Big XII.
I have always believed Utah to the Pac 10 was going to happen come what may with Texas, that the deal was effectively done since March.

—Paul Auster
Old 06-20-2010, 06:48 PM   #9
SeattleUte

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeWaters View Post
It's not good for the state, it's not good for BYU. It only serves the interests of Mormon-haters.

End it.

You are wrong btw. Utah's statement was much more in favor of continuing the series. Why? Probably in part, Utah has been among the poorest athletic departments in the nation.

BYU is a national team. It need not concern itself with the pettiness that is Utah.
I'm going to give you some friendly advice. REFLECT A LITTLE. I have never seen a group of people so singularly unable to relect, to see themselves objectivey. This is why you are where you are--you don't reflect, you just run off at the mouth, "WE ARE THE GREATEST, NO ONe UNDERSTANDS US." Now you're not learning from this, you're still yammingering. Blah blah blah.

Yes, I know, it's wrong to generize like this. But just look at the chorus of whine, the widespread bawling. You pathetic, self-pitying babies. Take responsiblility for your own choices. Celebrate who you are, quit whining and get back to work. There's something prfoundly strange and even creepy about the monolithic nature of the self-pity we see in BYU fans. A nation of narcissists.

Get a clue. BYU is not the greatest. In fact, it's an embarrassent, and even more so since last Wednesday.

Here's something that might help you to wise up.

http://www.sltrib.com/collegesports/...273?source=rss

—Paul Auster
Old 06-20-2010, 07:08 PM   #10
ute4ever
I must not tell lies

ute4ever is an unknown quantity at this point

Utah to the PAC-10 has in fact been a done deal since March. The pursuit of Texas et al was an attempt to hit 16, rather than stop at 12.
ute4ever is offline   Reply With Quote