cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board  

Go Back   cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board > non-Sports > Religion
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-06-2008, 03:34 PM   #1
MikeWaters
Demiurge

MikeWaters is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Uchtdorf's talk on calling-slacking

He chastised those that turn down callings because they are too busy.

But one example, that I often hear from Mormons regarding callings, is that they want to spend more time with their spouse and children.

Interestingly, he did not use that as an example of an inappropriate reason to turn down a calling.

I think for a lot of people, this is the fundamental pull--church vs. family. Church vs. community.

For example, my son attends a struggling school, and part of me would like to get really involved with the PTA and the "dad's program". Among other things, they ask for males to volunteer to be father figures for these kids. I suspect 95% of the kids in my son's school are on the meal-assistance program.

It's hard to do this sort of thing when your plate is already stacked high with church assignments. Not impossible. But there are only so many hours in the day.

We get a lot of mixed messages in the church--don't turn down time-consuming families. Spend more time with your family. These are in direct conflict. We ask men in this church to do the jobs that in other churches are full-time paid positions.

Juanita Brooks served as the stake relief society president in St. George. Later, as she became more heavily involved in writing and research, she turned down some callings. While her impact on persons in those callings would probably have been great, her impact with her writing is epic.

We all have to make choices we can live with. And sometimes that choice is to say yes to callings, knowing that many before you said yes, and you were the beneficiary.
MikeWaters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2008, 03:42 PM   #2
Archaea
Assistant to the Regional Manager

Archaea is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeWaters View Post

But one example, that I often hear from Mormons regarding callings, is that they want to spend more time with their spouse and children.

Interestingly, he did not use that as an example of an inappropriate reason to turn down a calling.

I think for a lot of people, this is the fundamental pull--church vs. family. Church vs. community.

For example, my son attends a struggling school, and part of me would like to get really involved with the PTA and the "dad's program". Among other things, they ask for males to volunteer to be father figures for these kids. I suspect 95% of the kids in my son's school are on the meal-assistance program.

It's hard to do this sort of thing when your plate is already stacked high with church assignments. Not impossible. But there are only so many hours in the day.

We get a lot of mixed messages in the church--don't turn down time-consuming families. Spend more time with your family. These are in direct conflict. We ask men in this church to do the jobs that in other churches are full-time paid positions.

Juanita Brooks served as the stake relief society president in St. George. Later, as she became more heavily involved in writing and research, she turned down some callings. While her impact on persons in those callings would probably have been great, her impact with her writing is epic.

We all have to make choices we can live with. And sometimes that choice is to say yes to callings, knowing that many before you said yes, and you were the beneficiary.
If we take these talks as generic words of advice, which the Spirit will advise us if it applies to how we live, perhaps, we'll learn as you or Juanita did, which choices are best for us the individuals.
Old 10-06-2008, 03:44 PM   #3
Tex

Tex is on a distinguished road

Quote:
We get a lot of mixed messages in the church--don't turn down time-consuming families.
Heh. Is that another way to say "multiply and replenish the earth"?

- Cali Coug

"Oh dear, granny, what a long tail our puss has got."

- Brigham Young
Tex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2008, 04:03 PM   #4
exUte

exUte can only hope to improve
Default Perhaps he was talking about this gentleman......

Quote:

Gentleman in our ward couldn't commit to a Sunday calling because he couldn't commit to being there every Sunday. But you could see him at EVERY Jazz game (on the front row) no matter what day of the week.

Or the gentleman who was a young men's leader who just wouldn't show up at times because he went to the Jazz games instead. No substitute, nothing. Just left his Teachers at the ward alone hoping they would find something to do.

Both brothers from well recognized surnames in the community. That's probably who he was referring to.
Old 10-06-2008, 04:06 PM   #5
MikeWaters
Demiurge

MikeWaters is an unknown quantity at this point

I thought the Jazz almost never have a home game on Sunday.
MikeWaters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2008, 04:08 PM   #6
exUte

exUte can only hope to improve
Default Point was that he couldn't commit

Quote:
I thought the Jazz almost never have a home game on Sunday.
to a regularly scheduled commitment on the same day of every week but he could arrange his schedule around any random day of the week for a Jazz game. Perfect example of commitment. One to sports and one to church.
Old 10-06-2008, 07:36 PM   #7
cougarobgon

cougarobgon is on a distinguished road

Quote:

The message to me was very simple stop whining, suck it up, and get to work...we are all busy, we all have obligations, but, we all have to take our turn. Sometimes the callings will take many hours away from our families, while others will require minimal prep work and can be carried out on Sundays. Long gone are the days when an individual would serve as a bishop for 25 years. As long as everyone is willing to take their turn.
cougarobgon is offline   Reply With Quote