cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board  

Go Back   cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board > non-Sports > Finances
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-25-2007, 06:45 PM   #11
Cali Coug

Cali Coug has a little shameless behaviour in the past

Quote:
Originally Posted by FMCoug View Post
Which should I regret more?

The GOOG calls I'm in and up 280% or the QQQQ credit spread I'm in that was a 55/45 risk/reward (i.e. for every $55 I put at risk, I get $45)?
Imagine a scenario where you took 1 million monkeys and asked them to throw a dart at the stocks listed in the Wall Street Journal. At the end of the process, some darts would have hit good stocks, and some bad. Repeat that process 50 times. At the end you would have some monkeys who hit good stocks 50 times (the smart monkeys) and some who hit bad stocks all 50 times (the dumb monkeys).

I think this is pretty close to how it works for publicly traded securities (unless you have insider information, which would be illegal to use, or if you have so much cache in the market that the market tends to follow what you do, thereby ratifying every decision you make, like Buffet).
Cali Coug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2007, 11:34 PM   #12
NorCal Cat

NorCal Cat

Quote:
Although I learned on CG that it's "impossible" to beat the market so I guess it's all an exercise in futility.
Right, what are we thinking?
NorCal Cat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2007, 11:34 PM   #13
NorCal Cat

NorCal Cat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Indy Coug View Post
In the long run, it is impossible to beat the market. Anyone can make out like bandits in the short run.
Nonsense. It is not impossible.
Old 11-01-2007, 02:00 PM   #14
venomous viper

venomous viper is on a distinguished road
Smile best options

best options I've been in over and over again are,,,,,real estate options and hold for long term!!!!
venomous viper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2007, 04:26 AM   #15
Parrot Head

Parrot Head is an unknown quantity at this point

Which brokerage do you use? I've been looking at Zecco lately, but haven't yet committed anything to an account there. Has anyone gone through them?

- Bronco, when asked how to describe PH
Parrot Head is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2007, 04:31 AM   #16
FMCoug

FMCoug

Quote:
Originally Posted by Parrot Head View Post
Which brokerage do you use? I've been looking at Zecco lately, but haven't yet committed anything to an account there. Has anyone gone through them?
Never heard of them. For small accounts, I think OptionsExpress is good. For serious traders, it's hard to beat TradeStation. Lots of people like ThinkOrSwim as well. The latter 2 are both direct access brokers. If you don't know what that is, you don't need it.
FMCoug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2007, 01:38 PM   #17
BYU71

BYU71 is an unknown quantity at this point

OK, maybe a couple of you are great option traders. So let's have a little game here. For the next two months let us know what option trades you make, in advance. I will keep my money in cash.

I will bet a really nice dinner for you and your significant other that my cash beats your option trades. If I win you don't have to give me a thing, that is how sure I am you lose.
BYU71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2007, 07:03 PM   #18
NorCal Cat

NorCal Cat

Quote:
Originally Posted by BYU71 View Post
OK, maybe a couple of you are great option traders. So let's have a little game here. For the next two months let us know what option trades you make, in advance. I will keep my money in cash.

I will bet a really nice dinner for you and your significant other that my cash beats your option trades. If I win you don't have to give me a thing, that is how sure I am you lose.
OK, I just sold my RIMM call options for 50% gain in ten days.
Old 11-02-2007, 07:41 PM   #19
FMCoug

FMCoug

Quote:
Originally Posted by BYU71 View Post

You're on. Currently open positions:

AAPL Jan 200 Call. Bought at 10.45
AAPL Jan 190 Call. Bought at 13.30
GOOG Jan 650 Call. Bought at 53.00

I have about a half a dozen credit spreads as well. Are you interested in those or just long/short positions as above.
FMCoug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2007, 02:57 PM   #20
hammer

hammer is on a distinguished road

Quote:
You're on. Currently open positions:

AAPL Jan 200 Call. Bought at 10.45
AAPL Jan 190 Call. Bought at 13.30
GOOG Jan 650 Call. Bought at 53.00

I have about a half a dozen credit spreads as well. Are you interested in those or just long/short positions as above.
Are those Jan '09 or '10 calls? I'm assuming '09, but either way, nice work.
hammer is offline   Reply With Quote