cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board  

Go Back   cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board > non-Sports > Religious Studies
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12-22-2007, 05:48 PM   #11
Archaea
Assistant to the Regional Manager

Archaea is an unknown quantity at this point

Why is Marx not considered existentialistic at all?

It seems some of his stuff though not post-modernistic could be aligned with such.
Old 12-22-2007, 06:01 PM   #12
Sleeping in EQ

Sleeping in EQ is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Archaea View Post
Why is Marx not considered existentialistic at all?

It seems some of his stuff though not post-modernistic could be aligned with such.
Sartre tried to put existentialism and Marxism together. There are some fundamental contradictions, though: Existentialism would have us responsible for our choices while Marxism chalks up quite a bit to inherited economic circumstances.

More than a few versions of post-modernism have been put forward by disenchanted Marxists. Typically (and I'm being way too fast and loose here), postmodernists of this sort have rejected all grand narratives, including Marx's grand narrative (historical materialism culminating in communism). One might argue that their grand narrative is that there are no grand narratives. They've forgone discussions of "dominant ideology" for "discourse" and "micropower." Enter the Focaultians (and others).
"Do not despise the words of prophets, but test everything; hold fast to what is good; " 1 Thess. 5:21 (NRSV)

We all trust our own unorthodoxies.

Last edited by Sleeping in EQ; 12-22-2007 at 06:06 PM.
Sleeping in EQ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2007, 07:40 PM   #13
tooblue

tooblue is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sleeping in EQ View Post
The truth of the state is inseperable from historic material conditions.

I can think of one branch of Marxism that might have you voting for Romney, though. The social scientists think that all of the attempts to reform and make capitalism friendlier are just prolonging its reign. They think we should let the Romney's of the world run things without encumberance because they'll bring on revolution, or the collapse of the private property system, or something.

Needless to say, most Marxists find them suspect.
But what if those historic material conditions are a fabrication or an elaborate ruse?

It is quite schizophrenic but my Marxist sensitivities do not prohibit me from wanting to vote for Romney … maybe that’s just a condition of my up bringing?
tooblue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2007, 07:41 PM   #14
tooblue

Quote:
Originally Posted by creekster View Post
Marx was not a relativist. If you ever met his mother in law you would know why.
I don't care who you are, now that's funny right there! lol

Last edited by tooblue; 12-22-2007 at 08:18 PM.
Old 12-22-2007, 07:44 PM   #15
tooblue

Quote:
Let me try to justify this thread's presence in the religious studies forum.
Sorry, I really didn't know where else to put this thread? I enjoyed your post.
Old 12-22-2007, 08:04 PM   #16
tooblue

Quote:
Originally Posted by tooblue View Post
But what if those historic material conditions are a fabrication or an elaborate ruse?

It is quite schizophrenic but my Marxist sensitivities do not prohibit me from wanting to vote for Romney … maybe that’s just a condition of my up bringing?
Is not my middle class wealth remarkable relative to the middle class wealth of a South American citizen? Certainly I am worth more, own more, have access to more via my buying power; yet he/she relative to his/her ecomomy is worth as much, owns as much and has access to as much via his/her buying power ... in otherwords we both have access to what we need, yet one of us may be more easily convinced that more of our wants are in fact additional needs?

Last edited by tooblue; 12-22-2007 at 08:10 PM.
Old 12-22-2007, 08:10 PM   #17
woot

woot is on a distinguished road

I always thought that Marx's "opiate of the people" remark was a positive thing. Wasn't he referring to religion as a good way for people to be able to deal with life, rather than as a pejorative "religion is for stupid sheep" type of thing? I could be totally wrong on that.
woot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2007, 08:11 PM   #18
tooblue

Quote:
Originally Posted by tooblue View Post
yet one of us may be more easily convinced that more of our wants are in fact additional needs?
And is this not the aim of marketing -the greatest lie ever told?
Old 12-22-2007, 08:14 PM   #19
tooblue

Quote:
Originally Posted by woot View Post
I always thought that Marx's "opiate of the people" remark was a positive thing. Wasn't he referring to religion as a good way for people to be able to deal with life, rather than as a pejorative "religion is for stupid sheep" type of thing? I could be totally wrong on that.
I believe it is an equally possitive remark as it a negative one. For me there is an inherant optimism in Marxism that is intoxicating.
Old 12-22-2007, 08:28 PM   #20
tooblue

Quote:
4 ... To be brief, Marx was mistaken in thinking that human labor would be more profitable than machine labor and that the connection between labor and value was more important than the subjective judgment of purchasers ...
And here's where the artist in me get's all riled up ... in fact I believe this is what so often fuels the hate for an artist like Robert Batement and the comercial success of the sale of his 'prints'. (if I am reading this part of your point correctly)

It is beyond absurd that the subjective judgement of purchasers values a machine reproduction of a (paint by numbers) painting by one man over the original art of many artists. Such gross ignorance is infuriating and incredibly depressing.

And who or what is responsible for this ruse ... and is it relative?

Last edited by tooblue; 12-23-2007 at 03:53 AM.