cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board  

Go Back   cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board > non-Sports > Chit Chat
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

View Poll Results: How many times have you rooted for your school's rival to win?
0 8 38.10%
1 1 4.76%
2-5 4 19.05%
5-10 1 4.76%
More than 10 3 14.29%
Countless times 3 14.29%
I always root for my team's rival except when playing my school's team 1 4.76%
Voters: 21. You may not vote on this poll

Old 11-29-2007, 03:48 AM   #21
il Padrino Ute
Board Pinhead

il Padrino Ute is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by myboynoah View Post
Perhaps you are correct. Or maybe I'm just so damned saintly that I can't imagine hating anything. OK, one exception; Celine Dion.
I think I heard once that even God cries tears of pain when Dion sings, so she doesn't count.

"This is now the joke that stupid people laugh at." - Christopher Hitchens on IQ jokes about GWB.
il Padrino Ute is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2007, 04:03 AM   #22
fuegote

fuegote

Quote:
Originally Posted by RockyBalboa View Post
I'll admit during the U's improbable Final Four run back in 98' that I was firmly on their side and was happy to see they were dispatching the likes of Arizona and North Carolina en route.

That year, combined with the Jazz back to back Finals visits was a great year for hoops in the state of Utah.
<sigh>
I missed all of this during the mission.
Old 11-29-2007, 04:05 AM   #23
YOhio
AKA SeattleNewt

YOhio is an unknown quantity at this point

The Runnin' Utes captured my attention as a youngster. Until I was about ten or eleven I was mainly a football and baseball fan, I had no real interest in basketball until I saw the team with Josh Grant, Jimmy Soto, Walt Watts, McKay McGrath, Paul Afeaki, and Craig Rydalch. They were a very fun team to watch. After that I began to be much more interested in hoops, even though my interest in the Runnin' Utes eventually died down. It's scary to look back at how close I was to apostacy.
YOhio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2007, 04:09 AM   #24
il Padrino Ute
Board Pinhead

il Padrino Ute is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by YOhio View Post
The Runnin' Utes captured my attention as a youngster. Until I was about ten or eleven I was mainly a football and baseball fan, I had no real interest in basketball until I saw the team with Josh Grant, Jimmy Soto, Walt Watts, McKay McGrath, Paul Afeaki, and Craig Rydalch. They were a very fun team to watch. After that I began to be much more interested in hoops, even though my interest in the Runnin' Utes eventually died down. It's scary to look back at how close I was to apostacy.
If only I had known.

I could have introduced you to McKay and Larry Cain and they could have supplied you with all the Ute gear you could ever imagine.

"This is now the joke that stupid people laugh at." - Christopher Hitchens on IQ jokes about GWB.
il Padrino Ute is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2007, 08:02 AM   #25
RockyBalboa

RockyBalboa is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via MSN to RockyBalboa

Quote:
Originally Posted by mpfunk View Post
I take exception with calling the Utes final four run improbable. The Utes got that far because they were simply damn good. There was a ton of talent on that team.

Don't forget that team won its first 15 or so games that year, before getting screwed in New Mexico.
I don't give a shit if you take exception to it or not.

A University who makes the Final Four once every 50 years or so...so when they actually do....calling it improbable is obviously far from a stretch.

Man are you always a sensitive pussbag about everything or are your panties just still in a wad about losing to the better team over the weekend and your rivals basketball program being in better condition than yours?

Last edited by RockyBalboa; 11-29-2007 at 08:05 AM.
RockyBalboa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2007, 01:07 PM   #26
Mormon Red Death

Mormon Red Death is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by YOhio View Post
Even though you are byu fan at least your not a

Byu fan in football
Utah fan in basketball

Those people are the biggest wusses around.

Close second are those that go to utah and root for byu.
Old 11-29-2007, 02:29 PM   #27
myboynoah

myboynoah is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mormon Red Death View Post
Even though you are byu fan at least your not a

Byu fan in football
Utah fan in basketball

Those people are the biggest wusses around.
I was once one of those wusses, until Saint Danny Ainge came along and my conversion became complete.

Religion rises inevitably from our apprehension of our own death. To give meaning to meaninglessness is the endless quest of all religion. When death becomes the center of our consciousness, then religion authentically begins. Of all religions that I know, the one that most vehemently and persuasively defies and denies the reality of death is the original Mormonism of the Prophet, Seer and Revelator, Joseph Smith.

Last edited by myboynoah; 11-29-2007 at 04:41 PM.
myboynoah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2007, 04:35 PM   #28
BigFatMeanie

BigFatMeanie is on a distinguished road

Rooted for them against Pitt in the Fiest Bowl and against Kentucky in the BB championship game. Those are the only two times in my life that I can remember. I'm sure there have been a few times where having the Utes win would have been advantageous for BYU in some way - i just can't remember any of them.
BigFatMeanie is offline   Reply With Quote