cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board  

Go Back   cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board > non-Sports > Politics
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-13-2008, 03:54 PM   #11
Tex

Tex is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cali Coug View Post
What are the great Republican ideas? Status quo? That isn't the work of a great mind. Republicans are running on the platform of "Look at me! I am not Obama." That failed them in Louisiana, Illinois and, it appears, in Mississippi as well. The Democrats tried that avenue (in reverse) in 2004. Best of luck with it. Keep that glass close to you. You will need to fill it and empty it with regularity come November.
Obama was running against Republicans in Louisiana, Illinois, and Mississippi? Hmm, I don't remember seeing his name on the ballot ...

Republicans are missing conservative leadership right now, no question. I, for one, am not happy about it. But they do have ideas, and some of them are quite good. Certainly current polls indicate the country isn't having a love affair with any of your candidates either (latest Rasmussen: Obama 47 McCain 46).

Why don't you focus on convincing the remaining 270 of your superdelegates to actually nominate the Obamessiah? If Obama is truly the 2nd Coming of Great Ideas, it's a wonder he can't wrap up his own party's nomination.

- Cali Coug

"Oh dear, granny, what a long tail our puss has got."

- Brigham Young
Tex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2008, 03:58 PM   #12
Cali Coug

Cali Coug has a little shameless behaviour in the past

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tex View Post
Obama was running against Republicans in Louisiana, Illinois, and Mississippi? Hmm, I don't remember seeing his name on the ballot ...

Republicans are missing conservative leadership right now, no question. I, for one, am not happy about it. But they do have ideas, and some of them are quite good. Certainly current polls indicate the country isn't having a love affair with any of your candidates either (latest Rasmussen: Obama 47 McCain 46).

Why don't you focus on convincing the remaining 270 of your superdelegates to actually nominate the Obamessiah? If Obama is truly the 2nd Coming of Great Ideas, it's a wonder he can't wrap up his own party's nomination.
Lol! In other words, you know they don't have any ideas (except the gas tax- THAT one really makes sense) and you hope the Dems screw up because your guys won't get the job done otherwise. Welcome aboard.

And the reference to Louisiana, Illinois and Mississippi was to the special congressional elections there where the RNCC and the Republican candidate's ads all focused on how they were not Obama (didn't work so well for them). Not that I would expect you to keep up, though.
Cali Coug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2008, 04:04 PM   #13
Tex

Quote:
Lol! n other words, you know they don't have any ideas (except the gas tax- THAT one really makes sense) and you hope the Dems screw up because your guys won't get the job done otherwise. Welcome aboard.

And the reference to Louisiana, Illinois and Mississippi was to the special congressional elections there where the RNCC and the Republican candidate's ads all focused on how they were not Obama (didn't work so well for them). Not that I would expect you to keep up, though.
I knew what you were referring to. Obama wasn't on the ballot.

- Cali Coug

- Brigham Young
Old 05-13-2008, 04:06 PM   #14
Cali Coug

Quote:
I knew what you were referring to. Obama wasn't on the ballot.
Yeah, sure you did. Which is why you chimed in with your pointless comment of "he wasn't on the ballot." Nobody said he was. In fact, him not being on the ballot was kind of the point.
Old 05-13-2008, 10:59 PM   #15
Cali Coug

Quote:
Originally Posted by Archaea View Post
Look Dems have it easy right now. You could run a dead person and still win; it's not because you have any ideas, it's the unfortunate mess that Bush has helped create. Don't pat yourself on the back for any ideas.

Reps' ideas. We need to monitor money supplies, keep capital markets stable, not increase tax loads, but decrease spending, find modest ways of modulating overseas activities so that foreign governments can meet their own needs.

We need to find market reforms in insurance to avoid massive government programs, strengthen borders, give amnesty for illegals, establish a meaningful immigration policy, streamline process, deregulate certain industries, and find tax incentives for stagnant markets.

There are plenty of Republican ideas, but it might just be a button down the hatch period.
Those aren't ideas, they are concepts. And they are the same concepts they have had forever (except when they actually put their ideas in place, their ideas oddly didn't correlate to any of their articulated concepts).
Old 05-13-2008, 11:33 PM   #16
Archaea
Assistant to the Regional Manager

Archaea is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Those aren't ideas, they are concepts. And they are the same concepts they have had forever (except when they actually put their ideas in place, their ideas oddly didn't correlate to any of their articulated concepts).
I have lots of idea which are good ideas when implemented.

But you don't want to see successful economies because that would thwart your need for government control. You'd prefer to be coddled than for people to act for themselves independently.
Old 05-14-2008, 02:12 AM   #17
il Padrino Ute
Board Pinhead

il Padrino Ute is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Oh brother.

If you listen, you'd recognize that Obama is the black Jimmy Carter.

Neither side has anything original. How can you not recognize that?

"This is now the joke that stupid people laugh at." - Christopher Hitchens on IQ jokes about GWB.
il Padrino Ute is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2008, 04:51 AM   #18
Cali Coug

Quote:

By the way, here is an ad run by the Republican who just lost today in Mississippi in a R+12 district:

Looks like the ad didn't help much. He just lost by 8: a 20 point swing from the last election.

Keep that drinking glass close by, Tex.
Old 05-14-2008, 04:19 PM   #19
Tex

Quote:
By the way, here is an ad run by the Republican who just lost today in Mississippi in a R+12 district:

Looks like the ad didn't help much. He just lost by 8: a 20 point swing from the last election.

Keep that drinking glass close by, Tex.
As I understand the race, Childers ran as a conservative, which would increase his appeal to Republican voters in a traditional Republican district. Obama will not be mimicking that strategy.

Thus, the choice to conflate the two was probably a bad campaign strategy.

Parenthetically, I should add that I don't necessarily think it bodes well for the R's this year. I just don't think it represents the catastrophe that you seem to think it does.

- Cali Coug

- Brigham Young

Last edited by Tex; 05-14-2008 at 06:37 PM.
Old 05-16-2008, 12:44 AM   #20
NorCal Cat

NorCal Cat

Quote:
Like 1968. Virginia, North Carolina, South Carolina Texas and Georgia are all in play. Louisiana may be in play. Colorado and New Mexico look to go blue. Missouri is leaning left. Nebraska and Kansas, of all states, are polling much better for Democrats. And Republicans just keep complaining about 57 states and being "bitter." No wonder they are going to lose huge. They don't have a single idea.
Did you copy this verbatim from the DNC talking points, or is this just a summary?
NorCal Cat is offline   Reply With Quote