cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board  

Go Back   cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board > non-Sports > Politics
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 02-16-2008, 11:22 PM   #1
UtahDan

UtahDan is on a distinguished road
Default To those who would withdraw from Iraq.

"If the President was to say, addressing the anti-war liberal left, if you think the Iraqi insurgency are the Viet Cong you're making the biggest mistake of your life, you see, if they're anything, they're the Khmer Rouge. Now how do you like your argument?"

http://www.hoover.org/multimedia/uk/9456506.html

This is a fascinating point. This interview has some very good, honest discussion about what a pullout would look like and the merits of simply dividing between Kurdistan, a Sunni state and a Shiite state.

Hitchens seems to say that he would be okay with that blood bath (the one that follows withdrawal) IF Al Queda has been humiliated not just on the battlefield, but in the eyes of the region, having been rejected by Iraqis

I think it is a point very, very well taken when we ask the question "what does victory look like" that at a minimum, we cannot allow Wahabist thugs to replace Saddam Hussein
because they are the Khmer Rouge. For those not familiar with what that means, look it up on wiki. We can't have that on our heads.. If we can get to that point, then I think there is an argument, which has a great deal of force, that civil war may inevitably follow a pullout and that we don't much care about the result EXCEPT that Al Queda doesn't control any part of Iraq, and Kurdistan remains intact.

Well worth a listen.

Oh, and he ends by saying Clinton is the only candidate who has, at least at one time, recognized what needs to happen. He hates Clinton.

Last edited by UtahDan; 02-16-2008 at 11:39 PM.
UtahDan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2008, 12:06 AM   #2
woot

woot is on a distinguished road

Hitchens came right out and said that he supports the war because he wants to kill all Muslims. They are a danger to the world, and therefore must be slaughtered. Quoting someone who supports genocide in order to justify a war doesn't strike me as a great idea.
woot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2008, 12:13 AM   #3
UtahDan

Quote:
Originally Posted by woot View Post
Hitchens came right out and said that he supports the war because he wants to kill all Muslims. They are a danger to the world, and therefore must be slaughtered. Quoting someone who supports genocide in order to justify a war doesn't strike me as a great idea.
Leaving aside your ad hominem dodge, its not actually a point in support of the war. It is a point which attempts to define the proper conditions of withdrawal and which actually concedes that the worst fears of the right about the civil war which would follow may not be justified. Not that it would not occur, but rather than it may inevitably occur and that our goal should not be prevent such, but only to prevent Al Queda from winning and to prevent the Kurds from losing.

Also, doesn't Hitchens atheism bolster his credibility in your eyes? Why not just address the argument, hmm?
Old 02-17-2008, 12:21 AM   #4
woot

Quote:
Originally Posted by UtahDan View Post
Leaving aside your ad hominem dodge, its not actually a point in support of the war. It is a point which attempts to define the proper conditions of withdrawal and which actually concedes that the worst fears of the right about the civil war which would follow may not be justified. Not that it would not occur, but rather than it may inevitably occur and that our goal should not be prevent such, but only to prevent Al Queda from winning and to prevent the Kurds from losing.

Also, doesn't Hitchens atheism bolster his credibility in your eyes? Why not just address the argument, hmm?
Hitchens is right about most things, and often has good arguments. He also represents a side of atheism that isn't terribly healthy and I'm not a fan of his position as such a prominent face. I have no opinion on the topic at hand, so I took the opportunity to point out what should be a giant red flag. It was not intended to be anything other than ad hominem, but I think you'll agree that genocidal folk tend not to have as much credibility.
Old 02-17-2008, 12:27 AM   #5
UtahDan

Quote:
Originally Posted by woot View Post
Hitchens is right about most things, and often has good arguments. He also represents a side of atheism that isn't terribly healthy and I'm not a fan of his position as such a prominent face. I have no opinion on the topic at hand, so I took the opportunity to point out what should be a giant red flag. It was not intended to be anything other than ad hominem, but I think you'll agree that genocidal folk tend not to have as much credibility.
I understand what you are saying, but I think you are ill informed and mischaracterizing what he said. Here is a good statement from him of his atheism.

http://www.hoover.org/multimedia/uk/9692512.html

I can intellectually respect his position though I disagree with the conclusions he draws.
Old 02-17-2008, 12:34 AM   #6
woot

Quote:
I understand what you are saying, but I think you are ill informed and mischaracterizing what he said. Here is a good statement from him of his atheism.

http://www.hoover.org/multimedia/uk/9692512.html

I can intellectually respect his position though I disagree with the conclusions he draws.
Please tell me what I'm ill informed about without requiring that I view a 20 minute video that I've probably already seen.
Old 02-17-2008, 01:18 AM   #7
SeattleUte

SeattleUte has a little shameless behaviour in the past

Quote:
"If the President was to say, addressing the anti-war liberal left, if you think the Iraqi insurgency are the Viet Cong you're making the biggest mistake of your life, you see, if they're anything, they're the Khmer Rouge. Now how do you like your argument?"
Remember I'm the one who said Cali should see the Killing Fields. But nobody ever gives me credit for anything.

—Paul Auster
SeattleUte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2008, 01:24 AM   #8
myboynoah

myboynoah is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeattleUte View Post
Remember I'm the one who said Cali should see the Killing Fields. But nobody ever gives me credit for anything.
Good call.

Religion rises inevitably from our apprehension of our own death. To give meaning to meaninglessness is the endless quest of all religion. When death becomes the center of our consciousness, then religion authentically begins. Of all religions that I know, the one that most vehemently and persuasively defies and denies the reality of death is the original Mormonism of the Prophet, Seer and Revelator, Joseph Smith.
myboynoah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2008, 01:55 AM   #9
UtahDan

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeattleUte View Post
You're so damn needy SU. Fine, you get credit.
Old 02-17-2008, 03:38 AM   #10
il Padrino Ute
Board Pinhead

il Padrino Ute is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
You're so damn needy SU. Fine, you get credit.

I saw The Killing Fields when it was released and found it very upsetting and disturbing. I was but a junior high school lad when Saigon fell and didn't quite understand just how bad of a situation we left behind by giving in to the anti-war wusses and quitting.

For the record, I want to state that there is a difference between wanting peace and being a pussy.

"This is now the joke that stupid people laugh at." - Christopher Hitchens on IQ jokes about GWB.
il Padrino Ute is offline   Reply With Quote