cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board  

Go Back   cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board > non-Sports > Religion
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-29-2020, 07:52 PM   #1
MikeWaters
Demiurge

MikeWaters is an unknown quantity at this point
Default What is the Mormon Community?

As I get older, I have the sense of the Mormon Community coming apart. I don't know if it is just my personal lived experience, or whether it is a more universal thing that is occurring.

I grew up in college town, and there was a strong sense of religious community among the LDS. We had our traditions and activities, and were in each others lives. And you faced a bit of persecution here and there, that made you feel like you were part of a different tribe.

Here we are in 2020, in COVID-land, and not even going to church. Not even in my case even getting any communication from my ward or stake. And really caring that I'm not getting any communication. But even before then, the movement to 2 hour church. Before then, the end of Boy Scouts. Before then, the end of ward budgets that allowed the sorts of activities that were the "fun stuff" I experienced as a kid. Sort of the austerity program that the church put on itself.

This used to bother me. Now I don't really care. And I can tell myself, God is leading this, it's God's job to care. It's the appointed leaders' job to handle this, not my job. Don't steady the Ark. Not your job. Don't worry about things you can't control.

I think part of the goal of this website, whether spoken or not, was to try and find a community of persons who were somewhat like-minded. Where it felt good. Where one belonged. Maybe it was that for a while. Mistakes here and there were the equivalent of cuts that eventually led to a bleeding out.

What does it mean to be Mormon in 2020? I don't know anymore.

Kind of ironic--I've never been connected to any kind of church leadership. Except now. One of the apostles was good friends with my parents. One of the current Seventy was a friend while I was at BYU. The church ought to feel smaller for me. But it doesn't.

I have the sense that the church is drifting into something different. Something that unsettles me and worries me while at the same time I care less and less. But it might just be me. Yes, I know many people who have left the church. Some of the events over the past several years have felt like body blows to me. But I'm still here.
MikeWaters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2020, 09:19 PM   #2
MikeWaters
Demiurge

My recent experience on cougarboard...it's different now. Back in the day, it was smaller. There were many posters that I knew. Had some idea about their lives, or what they thought. For me it's not like that at all now. It's a whole bunch of people I don't recognize or have any connection to, handles I don't recognize. The small-town feel is completely gone.

Back in the day I used to get boardmails quite often. Now I never do. It seems like most of the old hands are gone. I am now a relic. And should join those that are gone, it feels like.

Let the young bury the young. Us old men will bury our own.
Old 06-02-2020, 01:25 AM   #3
ChinoCoug

ChinoCoug is an unknown quantity at this point

It seems like the more apostate members are against more spontaneous sociability.

I expressed similar sentiments on CB. When I was a freshman in the dorms, the people on your floor were instant friends.

Now, it feels like a lot on Cougarboard are scoffing at members for asking for a free place to stay for the Boston marathon.
Old 06-02-2020, 04:58 PM   #4
MikeWaters
Demiurge

It's not a thing I celebrate. I don't like it. And am wondering how we got to this place.