cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board  

Go Back   cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board > SPORTS! > Football
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-15-2009, 01:25 AM   #1
MikeWaters
Demiurge

MikeWaters is an unknown quantity at this point
Default On the future of conferences

I went over to the A&M board, and for whatever reason, they are talking about Conference expansion. Just one of the usual topics that gets recycled from time to time. For example, if the Big 12 picked up 2 more teams, which two teams should it be?

The usual B.S. answers are offered.

But for the first time, I am now wondering if BYU really needs to leave for greener pastures. If the Pac-10 or Big 12 came calling right now, it would be a no-brainer in my opinion. You go. You increase the exposure of the school by getting into bigger markets. You take Mormonism into the big-time.

However, with the MWC at its high-water mark for football right now, you can almost imagine a future where the MWC is a major conference. Esp. as demographics change and the West continues to grow. Now we may be talking in terms of decades, who knows. And yes, BYU has far out-classed the other schools in athletics (although Utah has really come on strong for a commuter school).

If I sense it, maybe bigwigs sense it as well. If you are going to pluck the ripe fruit, better pluck it now.

Having said that, I don't think it will happen. People are happy enough with what they've got.

One school I am kind of down on is TCU. I love the coach. I love the football program. But I don't love their lack of support and facilities. It will be very easy for them to descend to the level of their basketball program. Here they are with successful teams, a great coach, and they can't put butts in the stands. I think Utah is building something longlasting and legit. TCU, I'm not convinced.
MikeWaters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2009, 02:20 PM   #2
Archaea
Assistant to the Regional Manager

Archaea is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeWaters View Post
I went over to the A&M board, and for whatever reason, they are talking about Conference expansion. Just one of the usual topics that gets recycled from time to time. For example, if the Big 12 picked up 2 more teams, which two teams should it be?

The usual B.S. answers are offered.

But for the first time, I am now wondering if BYU really needs to leave for greener pastures. If the Pac-10 or Big 12 came calling right now, it would be a no-brainer in my opinion. You go. You increase the exposure of the school by getting into bigger markets. You take Mormonism into the big-time.

However, with the MWC at its high-water mark for football right now, you can almost imagine a future where the MWC is a major conference. Esp. as demographics change and the West continues to grow. Now we may be talking in terms of decades, who knows. And yes, BYU has far out-classed the other schools in athletics (although Utah has really come on strong for a commuter school).

If I sense it, maybe bigwigs sense it as well. If you are going to pluck the ripe fruit, better pluck it now.

Having said that, I don't think it will happen. People are happy enough with what they've got.

One school I am kind of down on is TCU. I love the coach. I love the football program. But I don't love their lack of support and facilities. It will be very easy for them to descend to the level of their basketball program. Here they are with successful teams, a great coach, and they can't put butts in the stands. I think Utah is building something longlasting and legit. TCU, I'm not convinced.
I've never fully understood the lack of support for TCU, but it could be that it's too small of a student body, too close to Dallas, and just doesn't capture the locals' imagination. If Patterson goes, I wonder how strong the program stays.