cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board  

Go Back   cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board > non-Sports > Art/Movies/Media/Music/Books
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-08-2007, 03:45 PM   #1
YOhio
AKA SeattleNewt

YOhio is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Good review of Harline's book

Jonny Harline's* father wrote a book entitled "Sunday: A history of the first day from Babylonia to the Super Bowl." The reviewer is a BYU Prof. from Belgium and his review is interesting. The book addresses the origins of the Sabbath within the Christian tradition and it's influence on today's practice. The LDS practice of the sabbath only merit's tangential mention by Harline, but it does appear that it would give a nice historical perspective on LDS observance. When things slow down for me this summer I will definitely check it out.

http://www.timesandseasons.org/?p=3854

(If you read the review, make sure to read the comments where Harline responds.)

*Jonny Harline is the BYU tight end who caught John Beck's pass on the last play of the most recent BYU-Utah game. As I recall, this game ended in a BYU victory.
YOhio is offline   Reply With Quote