cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board  

Go Back   cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board > SPORTS! > Football
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01-05-2007, 06:32 PM   #1
Goatnapper'96
Recruiting Coordinator/Bosom Inspector

Goatnapper'96 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default I took some time to go back and read some

of the earliest threads on this site.

It was kind of fun.

I think Bronco has exceeded most of our expectations. I once again would like to praise his holy name. He restored a great deal of my faith in BYU football and its potential. It can be fun and good.

I also noticed an interesting trend. fusnik posted more frequently when BYU was losing. One of his posts about inside information on John Beck being recruited to be a back up looks amazingly comical right now. I miss being able to needle him right now, fusnik come home!

Next year is going to be a fun one. Lowered expectations but yet a great deal of potential.

I said it after BC and I will say it again, this program has finally regained the level of collective natural athletic ability going through the ranks of starters and backups on offense, defense and special teams that it had in the mid 90's. While the Y had some good players over the past 10 years it has collectively lacked the depth and ability for the past decade when compared to what it had in the early and mid 90's and to what it has today. BYU is faster, stronger, meaner and more confident than it has been in a long time. Kudos to Gary Crowton and to Bronco for attracting this many good athletes. Most of you know I am a lower expectation kind of fan and I think expecting more than 8 wins next year is lunacy, but I really believe BYU will compete in every game it plays next year. Due to innexperience it will lose a few, but the squad will not lack for natual talent and football players on both sides of the ball and special teams. I also believe it will only lose games to good teams.

This program is so far ahead of where it was after the 2001 season that it is hard to believe it is the same team, IMO. Perhaps I am a homer, but I think not.
Old 01-05-2007, 06:43 PM   #2
mpfunk

mpfunk is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via MSN to mpfunk

Goatnapper is gay
mpfunk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2007, 06:46 PM   #3
Goatnapper'96

Quote:
Originally Posted by mpfunk View Post
Goatnapper is gay
If lovin' a man who slip and slides nekkid, but can also win double digit games with a quarterback who was recruited to be a back up and a mlb who is worse than aTm's 2nd string mlb, makes me gay...I don't wanna be straight!
Old 01-05-2007, 06:52 PM   #4
jay santos

jay santos is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goatnapper'96 View Post
of the earliest threads on this site.

It was kind of fun.

I think Bronco has exceeded most of our expectations. I once again would like to praise his holy name. He restored a great deal of my faith in BYU football and its potential. It can be fun and good.

I also noticed an interesting trend. fusnik posted more frequently when BYU was losing. One of his posts about inside information on John Beck being recruited to be a back up looks amazingly comical right now. I miss being able to needle him right now, fusnik come home!

Next year is going to be a fun one. Lowered expectations but yet a great deal of potential.

I said it after BC and I will say it again, this program has finally regained the level of collective natural athletic ability going through the ranks of starters and backups on offense, defense and special teams that it had in the mid 90's. While the Y had some good players over the past 10 years it has collectively lacked the depth and ability for the past decade when compared to what it had in the early and mid 90's and to what it has today. BYU is faster, stronger, meaner and more confident than it has been in a long time. Kudos to Gary Crowton and to Bronco for attracting this many good athletes. Most of you know I am a lower expectation kind of fan and I think expecting more than 8 wins next year is lunacy, but I really believe BYU will compete in every game it plays next year. Due to innexperience it will lose a few, but the squad will not lack for natual talent and football players on both sides of the ball and special teams. I also believe it will only lose games to good teams.

This program is so far ahead of where it was after the 2001 season that it is hard to believe it is the same team, IMO. Perhaps I am a homer, but I think not.
I agree on almost every count, except I have higher expectations for the program.

Also, I had caution to the over-ecstatic, straight-line forecasting fans that thing it's just going to get better from here.

After the 2001 season, most fans were doing the same thing. I fell into the same trap. A lot of the OL was back, D was expected to be improved. Home run waiting to happen off his mission. Wilk was fastest WR in BYU history ready to explode. Whalen was ready to bust loose. Engemann has a true drop back BYU type QB that Crowton could train to run his offense, not this hybrid west-coast option crazy stuff we got away with in 2001. etc, etc.

A lot of the warm fuzzies about the program right now are based on expectation and potential development, such as Vakapuna becoming the #1 back and a great QB stepping up.

I do feel good about the future, though.
jay santos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2007, 07:05 PM   #5
Goatnapper'96

Quote:
Originally Posted by jay santos View Post
I agree on almost every count, except I have higher expectations for the program.

Also, I had caution to the over-ecstatic, straight-line forecasting fans that thing it's just going to get better from here.

After the 2001 season, most fans were doing the same thing. I fell into the same trap. A lot of the OL was back, D was expected to be improved. Home run waiting to happen off his mission. Wilk was fastest WR in BYU history ready to explode. Whalen was ready to bust loose. Engemann has a true drop back BYU type QB that Crowton could train to run his offense, not this hybrid west-coast option crazy stuff we got away with in 2001. etc, etc.

A lot of the warm fuzzies about the program right now are based on expectation and potential development, such as Vakapuna becoming the #1 back and a great QB stepping up.

I do feel good about the future, though.
We never know what will happen. I think that there are very few similarities from 2001 and 2006. I like the '96 and 2006 comparisons better.

2001 included some amazing luck. This year was not luck, in fact looking back BYU was probably a wee bit unlucky - save the lack of injuries and especially the lack of injuries to the defensive backfield.

I believe there is a focus on consistency that Crowton never had. There are systems in place that align with the program's historical strengths and recruiting base. There is a conscious effort to link the past to the present. There is a foundation in place that has been missing for a long time. I don't expect BYU to win more than 8 games next year, but I am convinced they will win at least 7, compete for the conference championship into November, compete physically in every game with every opponent they play, only lose to good college football teams and beat the teams they should beat.

I also believe they will improve more over the year than any other MWC team. They have, save that 1st half against the U in 2005, in both years Bronco has been the HC.

I think it boils down to this...I just think the kids are playing harder than they have for years. Even when BYU has lost under Bronco, save the SDSU debacle, the team is intense, fully invested and committed. With that type of effort, BYU is going to do very well in MWC play and compete well with
its slate of OOC foes next year. Perhaps we will learn that the effort is the result of great peer leadership. I just believe that the kids believe in the staff totally. I look at where the program was after SDSU and somehow Bronco and the staff kept the kids believing. I thought that was an indicator of good things then, we shall see.

He had me at New Mexico....he had me at New Mexico.

While that was the time I became a Bronco supporter it was not until this year that he assuaged my personal concerns that BYU itself could be good in college football. This year I became a true homer.
Old 01-05-2007, 07:06 PM   #6
ute4ever
I must not tell lies

ute4ever is an unknown quantity at this point

goatnapper is retarded
ute4ever is offline   Reply With Quote