cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board  

Go Back   cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board > non-Sports > Religion
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-11-2008, 12:34 PM   #1
MikeWaters
Demiurge

MikeWaters is an unknown quantity at this point
Default The church is willing to sacrifice original Mormonism

in order to please men.
http://www.cnn.com/2008/US/11/11/bap....ap/index.html

There is no court order here. There is no threat to marriage or any other institution.

Does anyone think Joseph Smith would have tucked his tail between his legs and cried that he was misunderstood? I think he would have boldly declared the truth, that the best way he could serve these people was not to "erase" them, but to do the work for them.
MikeWaters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2008, 12:43 PM   #2
MikeWaters
Demiurge

MikeWaters is an unknown quantity at this point

btw, this article is the most viewed article on CNN right now.
MikeWaters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2008, 01:44 PM   #3
Tex

Tex is on a distinguished road

I don't know what you're babbling about with Joseph Smith and "original Mormonism." Heh.

As for the Jews, Catholics, and others up in arms about this practice, I've always felt they are overreacting a little. I'm happy to see the church accommodate in order to temper tender feelings, but truly this procedure of proxy baptism is entirely irrelevant to anyone of any other faith.

Based on what I read in the article, it does seem like the church has made a good-faith effort, and this Jewish group is being unreasonable.

- Cali Coug

"Oh dear, granny, what a long tail our puss has got."

- Brigham Young
Tex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2008, 06:25 PM   #4
BlueHair

BlueHair is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tex View Post
I don't know what you're babbling about with Joseph Smith and "original Mormonism." Heh.

As for the Jews, Catholics, and others up in arms about this practice, I've always felt they are overreacting a little. I'm happy to see the church accommodate in order to temper tender feelings, but truly this procedure of proxy baptism is entirely irrelevant to anyone of any other faith.

Based on what I read in the article, it does seem like the church has made a good-faith effort, and this Jewish group is being unreasonable.
I think the church is doing the right thing. I've never understood the urgency some people feel about temple work. If everyone is going to get the chance, why does it matter if the work is done today or 500 years from now?
BlueHair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2008, 06:33 PM   #5
ute4ever
I must not tell lies

ute4ever is an unknown quantity at this point

Ernest Michel, honorary chairman of the American Gathering of Holocaust Survivors: "We ask you to leave our six million Jews, all victims of the Holocaust, alone, they suffered enough."

Elder Lance B. Wickman: "We don't think any faith group has the right to ask another to change its doctrines."
ute4ever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2008, 07:10 PM   #6
CardiacCoug

CardiacCoug is on a distinguished road

It seems to me that the solution is not to allow the general public or any non-LDS people to know what work is being done. Why is it the business of anybody outside the Church to be keeping track of this stuff? They shouldn't be able to monitor this in any way. It's none of their business and if they don't believe in it anyway, why does it matter? I don't get it.

As a Church, we should be leaving gay people alone. And other religions shouldn't be hassling us about stuff like this. What is it with people meddling in the business of other groups who want nothing to do with you?
CardiacCoug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2008, 07:54 PM   #7
BlueHair

BlueHair is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by CardiacCoug View Post
It seems to me that the solution is not to allow the general public or any non-LDS people to know what work is being done. Why is it the business of anybody outside the Church to be keeping track of this stuff? They shouldn't be able to monitor this in any way. It's none of their business and if they don't believe in it anyway, why does it matter? I don't get it.

As a Church, we should be leaving gay people alone. And other religions shouldn't be hassling us about stuff like this. What is it with people meddling in the business of other groups who want nothing to do with you?
I don't think they should lie about it. Either do it and tell the other faiths to "suck it" or don't do it right now. If you believe that every person will get a chance to have their ordinances performed and are concerned what other people think, there is no harm in delaying. Just keep the names and do them sometime in the future.
BlueHair is offline   Reply With Quote