cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board  

Go Back   cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board > non-Sports > Chit Chat
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-13-2007, 04:46 PM   #1
Clark Addison

Clark Addison is on a distinguished road
Default Job / Ethics Question

I have an ethical dilemma, and I feel that the best solution is probably to get anonymous advice from people I do not know.

For a couple of months, I have been looking for a new job, for reasons not relevant to this discussion. A while back, I interviewed with an external company. We will call this Job A. I was very interested in this job, as it is a good fit for my background, and would likely mean a good salary bump.

Shortly after I started talking to them, one of my old bosses at my current company talked to me about a job with him (Job B). He really wanted me in this position, so he sent out an offer a couple of days after we talked. At the time, Job A was looking real good, so I turned down Job B, thinking that I wouldn't want to change positions and then quit shortly thereafter (queue foreshadowing music).

A couple of weeks later, I heard from some people I know at Job A's company that, due to some restructuring, they probably weren't going to be filling the position I was looking at anytime soon. A day or two after that, my old boss contacted me again and asked if I wouldn't be willing to reconsider. Armed with new information, I did reconsider and accepted Job B last week (remember, this is a job at my current company).

So then, a couple of days after I accepted, I heard back from Job A. It turns out that they are very interested in me, and are probably not going to wait for any restructuring to make me a very good offer. On the one hand, I am happy to hear this, on the other hand, I would feel very bad telling my friend that I was quitting before I even began.

I’ve talked to a couple of people about this, and they all tend to say something along the lines of “You need to do what’s best for yourself and you career”. Do you agree? Should I continue to pursue Job B? Or am I being a selfish SOB?
Clark Addison is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2007, 04:50 PM   #2
BYU71

BYU71 is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clark Addison View Post
I have an ethical dilemma, and I feel that the best solution is probably to get anonymous advice from people I do not know.

For a couple of months, I have been looking for a new job, for reasons not relevant to this discussion. A while back, I interviewed with an external company. We will call this Job A. I was very interested in this job, as it is a good fit for my background, and would likely mean a good salary bump.

Shortly after I started talking to them, one of my old bosses at my current company talked to me about a job with him (Job B). He really wanted me in this position, so he sent out an offer a couple of days after we talked. At the time, Job A was looking real good, so I turned down Job B, thinking that I wouldn't want to change positions and then quit shortly thereafter (queue foreshadowing music).

A couple of weeks later, I heard from some people I know at Job A's company that, due to some restructuring, they probably weren't going to be filling the position I was looking at anytime soon. A day or two after that, my old boss contacted me again and asked if I wouldn't be willing to reconsider. Armed with new information, I did reconsider and accepted Job B last week (remember, this is a job at my current company).

So then, a couple of days after I accepted, I heard back from Job A. It turns out that they are very interested in me, and are probably not going to wait for any restructuring to make me a very good offer. On the one hand, I am happy to hear this, on the other hand, I would feel very bad telling my friend that I was quitting before I even began.

I’ve talked to a couple of people about this, and they all tend to say something along the lines of “You need to do what’s best for yourself and you career”. Do you agree? Should I continue to pursue Job B? Or am I being a selfish SOB?

You might want to look at what happened to Kyle. He did what he thought was best for him and the world has labled him classless and an idiot.

Personally, I would do what is best for you. If your company had to do lay offs in two weeks they wouldn't think a second about laying you off if they had too.

There will those who will call you unethical and classless, if that bothers you then maybe you should stay.
BYU71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2007, 04:52 PM   #3
creekster

creekster is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:

Woudl your boss at Job B fire your butt if he needed to due to economic problems? Or would he keep paying you becasue he didn't want to tbe selfish? It is a job, not a family.
Old 11-13-2007, 04:58 PM   #4
jay santos

jay santos is on a distinguished road

Quote:

The only mistake you made was turning down Job B and not stringing him along until you knew for sure on Job A.

The minute you become unprofitable for your company to keep you, they will lay you off. They are already trying to figure out how to replace you with someone in India or China. They have no loyalty to you and you have no loyalty to them.

Only consider not taking Job A if you think in the long run it will be bad for your career.
jay santos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2007, 05:09 PM   #5
hyrum

hyrum is on a distinguished road

Quote:

I guess you haven't given enough information. To me it sounds like Job A is in a company that still has some kind of overhanging restructuring risk. To me that is the biggest question. Person hiring you for Job B already knew you were on the fence. It WILL look bad if you quit after you already accepted his offer. This will probably burn the bridge back to your current employer if things go bad with the company offering Job A. You will be the last person hired so you could be in danger of being restructured out of job., and then its unlikely Job B will be there for you. So is the "bump in pay" worth all that risk? Only you know the numbers and your own financial situation.
hyrum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2007, 04:38 AM   #6
Parrot Head

Parrot Head is an unknown quantity at this point

I'll offer to be your replacement at B.

- Bronco, when asked how to describe PH
Parrot Head is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2007, 12:59 PM   #7
Clark Addison

Clark Addison is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Parrot Head View Post
I'll offer to be your replacement at B.
I'll send you the posting if I leave.
Clark Addison is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2007, 03:52 PM   #8
UteStar

UteStar is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
I'll send you the posting if I leave.
I can vouch for Parrot Head's sense of humor. Parrot, if you need me as a recommendation, let me know. I will write you a killer Letter of Rec.
UteStar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2007, 03:56 PM   #9
jxncoog

jxncoog is on a distinguished road

just don't burn any bridges...I left a company shortly after a promotion (albeit in title only). I didn't burn any bridges, and could walk in today and get a job with that company.
jxncoog is offline   Reply With Quote