cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board  

Go Back   cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board > SPORTS! > Cycling

Old 09-17-2010, 12:57 AM   #31
Archaea
Assistant to the Regional Manager

Archaea is an unknown quantity at this point

I am impressed by the complete waste of time a federal prosecutor is engaging in. Why the heck is he doing looking at eleven year old B samples on a matter for which Armstrong was cleared.

This really is a witch hunt. You may be impressed, but if dozens of prosecutors are so bored why don't they pursue the banks which helped create our financial crisis. Oh wait, that might be too hard and worthwhile. F.. Novitzsky.
Old 09-17-2010, 02:44 AM   #32
MikeWaters
Demiurge

MikeWaters is an unknown quantity at this point

It's not a witch hunt. It's a hunt for the possibly the biggest fraud in American sports history.

Someday they'll make a movie about Armstrong's life, and this prosecutor will be a central character.

Quiz Show comes to mind. Very good movie.
MikeWaters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2010, 03:05 PM   #33
Archaea

No fraud.

He won seven Tours under the rules in existence.

A federal prosecutor should be prosecuting recent material crimes which affect the commerce of the US or victimize individuals. If he used enhancers, how was the commerce of the US affected or what persons were victimized? What persons were placed in harm's way? None.

This is a path of self-aggrandizement where nothing is gained but the fame of one self-absorbed individual.
Old 09-17-2010, 06:01 PM   #34
Levin

Levin is on a distinguished road

It's about protecting the values society holds dear. In other words, it's about honesty. Honesty in sport; and honesty in communication. You act like it's only about "the rules of the game." It's not. It's about Armstrong being a liar. As always, the coverup is worse than the crime.
"Now I say that I know the meaning of my life: 'To live for God, for my soul.' And this meaning, in spite of its clearness, is mysterious and marvelous. Such is the meaning of all existence." Levin, Anna Karenina, Part 8, Chapter 12
Levin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2010, 06:18 PM   #35
MikeWaters
Demiurge

Quote:
Originally Posted by Archaea View Post
No fraud.

He won seven Tours under the rules in existence.

A federal prosecutor should be prosecuting recent material crimes which affect the commerce of the US or victimize individuals. If he used enhancers, how was the commerce of the US affected or what persons were victimized? What persons were placed in harm's way? None.

This is a path of self-aggrandizement where nothing is gained but the fame of one self-absorbed individual.
you should watch the movie "Quiz Show." Same argument made there as well. Who got hurt?
Old 09-17-2010, 06:40 PM   #36
Archaea

I don't find it analogous at all.

Quiz Show was boring.

In these cases, they usually convict for "perjury".

Did Clinton get convicted for a known perjury? I don't believe in wasting assets to create a perjury case.

It's really just a prosecutor trying to promote himself.
Old 09-17-2010, 07:08 PM   #37
MikeWaters
Demiurge

Quote:
Originally Posted by Archaea View Post

It's really just a prosecutor trying to promote himself.
This issue was part of Quiz Show as well.

Great movie. The tormented childhood growing up poor in the burbs with a deadbeat dad. The early success. Then the cancer. Then the miraculous comeback. And the epic battles and wins.

The beautiful All-American wife, and children, followed by the rockstar girlfriend, and philandering and partying. The making and loss of friends. The money, the cancer foundation, the endorsements. All in the setting of European media suspicions and aspersions.

Then the American prosecutor.

We are watching the movie as it is made.

I have the popcorn in the microwave as we speak.
Old 09-17-2010, 08:02 PM   #38
Archaea

This system is not rigged unlike the Game Show. Cycling is a system of pushing man's limits beyond nature and then trying to cheat nature.

BTW, a client of mine is related to the discoverer of Human Growth Hormone. The client informed me that said discoverer believes anybody taking it is crazy. The discoverer noted it was discovered in a cancer.
Old 09-17-2010, 08:47 PM   #39
MikeWaters
Demiurge

what would be the best ending for this hollywood movie?

The first one that comes to mind, is that Lance gets cancer again, but this time it looks terminal. It's unknown whether this cancer is the result of doping, bad luck, or the effects of his prior cancer treatment.

The prosecutor then has to make a choice about how far he pushes this. Which is more important? The truth? Or should he let the man die on his own terms?

I can see the scene where the prosecutor sits by Lance's bedside in the hospital. Withered gaunt dying Lance. Does Lance finally stop fighting the truth? Does the prosecutor drop his pursuit? Is there an understanding between them?

And then the realization that they are much the same man. Each haunted by his demons, from the past. Relentless in their pursuit of a goal, no matter the cost. And now this collision course between the two.

Stay tuned....
Old 09-18-2010, 12:53 AM   #40
creekster

creekster is an unknown quantity at this point

I think that a perjury claim against Armstrong is an ancillary issue in this investigation. I think they are after Armstrong and others for fraud for using US funds when he was riding with the posties. Whether or not he is liable for a perjury claim will depend on what he says to the grand jury. But if he doped and they can prove it, they can prove fraud even if he never talks to the grand jury.