cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board  

Go Back   cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board > non-Sports > Politics

Old 05-12-2009, 03:17 PM   #21
Tex

Tex is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueK View Post
Those schools who want to remain exclusive will just raise prices to the point where existing students will get a little bit of a deal but the price will still be too high for anyone who can't afford to go there now. So they'll be stuck in the public schools, few will actually change schools. The main difference will be government money subsidizing private education. Vouchers seem like a good idea on the surface to a free market proponent, but they aren't really because it's really just an expansion of government money into private or religious education, and with that will come mandates and other stuff tied into the funds. Conservatives are supposed to be against that stuff.
I recognize the value of vouchers is hotly debated, but it's hard to deny that they've worked in DC.

- Cali Coug

"Oh dear, granny, what a long tail our puss has got."

- Brigham Young
Tex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2009, 03:23 PM   #22
Tex

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChinoCoug View Post
You ask what Dems have done for blacks when they've just elevated a black person to the presidency?
We are talking about confusingly loyal constituencies, right?

So Obama got elected. So what? If Mitt Romney had gotten the nomination and won the election, would that change the nutty anti-Mormonism among thousands of evangelicals?

Blacks are the Great Abused Constituency of America. They are cringingly loyal to a party whose philosophies and policies have helped destroy the black family and kept thousands of blacks in poverty. They vote in higher percentages for a single party than any other demographic of any reasonable size, save that of party affiliation. Punching the card of some elitist liberal--though he happens to also be black--doesn't change all that.

And if blacks really are voting in droves for Obama (and the Dems) on that basis alone, then that's just good ol' fashioned race-based politics. Not something to be proud of, either.

- Cali Coug

- Brigham Young
Old 05-12-2009, 03:39 PM   #23
Cali Coug

Cali Coug has a little shameless behaviour in the past

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tex View Post
We are talking about confusingly loyal constituencies, right?

So Obama got elected. So what? If Mitt Romney had gotten the nomination and won the election, would that change the nutty anti-Mormonism among thousands of evangelicals?

Blacks are the Great Abused Constituency of America. They are cringingly loyal to a party whose philosophies and policies have helped destroy the black family and kept thousands of blacks in poverty. They vote in higher percentages for a single party than any other demographic of any reasonable size, save that of party affiliation. Punching the card of some elitist liberal--though he happens to also be black--doesn't change all that.

And if blacks really are voting in droves for Obama (and the Dems) on that basis alone, then that's just good ol' fashioned race-based politics. Not something to be proud of, either.
But that is precisely the point, Tex. Many Republican insiders, including now Michael Steele, have said that Mitt lost because he was Mormon. Many evangelical leaders (i.e., the base) said they would never vote for Mitt because he was Mormon. Mitt didn't win, and a great argument can be made that it was largely due to his religious beliefs. That represents a very real ceiling your party has erected for Mormons, despite the fact that Mormons are overwhelmingly Republican (in the US).

You say that blacks are mistreated by Democrats. Setting aside whether or not that is true, even if it is, it is true on an entirely different level for blacks and the Democratic Party. Democrats elected a black man to be president of the United States. While you may think Democrats mistreat blacks, they most certainly aren't constructing barriers to party and national leadership like Republicans are with Mormons. And, by the way, the guy Democrats elected in the Senate to be Majority Leader is also Mormon. Who was the last Mormon Republican Majority or Minority Leader?
Cali Coug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2009, 03:43 PM   #24
BlueK

BlueK is on a distinguished road

Quote:
I recognize the value of vouchers is hotly debated, but it's hard to deny that they've worked in DC.
I'm sure there are probably some positive results that can come. But I think traditional, small government conservatives should be concerned about the government giving money to private schools because of the influence and control that will always come tied to the money. Now they can insist on having some control over the curriculum or demand other things. Mike Huckabee-style religious right conservatives won't care so much because they like a mix of church and state.
Old 05-12-2009, 03:52 PM   #25
MikeWaters
Demiurge

MikeWaters is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
I've not followed this in the news. Do you have information supporting this?

Evaluating such a thing is non-trivial, because vouchers are a self-selected population.
MikeWaters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2009, 03:55 PM   #26
Tex

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cali Coug View Post
But that is precisely the point, Tex. Many Republican insiders, including now Michael Steele, have said that Mitt lost because he was Mormon. Many evangelical leaders (i.e., the base) said they would never vote for Mitt because he was Mormon. Mitt didn't win, and a great argument can be made that it was largely due to his religious beliefs. That represents a very real ceiling your party has erected for Mormons, despite the fact that Mormons are overwhelmingly Republican (in the US).

You say that blacks are mistreated by Democrats. Setting aside whether or not that is true, even if it is, it is true on an entirely different level for blacks and the Democratic Party. Democrats elected a black man to be president of the United States. While you may think Democrats mistreat blacks, they most certainly aren't constructing barriers to party and national leadership like Republicans are with Mormons. And, by the way, the guy Democrats elected in the Senate to be Majority Leader is also Mormon. Who was the last Mormon Republican Majority or Minority Leader?
What you're saying is: because one guy won the lottery, the lottery must be a great thing for everyone who plays.

You're right, it's more "hip" to be anti-Mormon than racially prejudiced. And that would be a great point, if it actually dealt with what I'm getting at. It doesn't. I got in this thread when someone wondered why Mormons stay loyal to a party whose leadership (allegedly) is keeping them down.

There is no party where that is more evident than the Democrat party and blacks. The election of one black president (who barely secured his nomination) does not erase decades of abuse.

- Cali Coug

- Brigham Young
Old 05-12-2009, 03:59 PM   #27
MikeWaters
Demiurge

Quote:
What you're saying is: because one guy won the lottery, the lottery must be a great thing for everyone who plays.

You're right, it's more "hip" to be anti-Mormon than racially prejudiced. And that would be a great point, if it actually dealt with what I'm getting at. It doesn't. I got in this thread when someone wondered why Mormons stay loyal to a party whose leadership (allegedly) is keeping them down.

There is no party where that is more evident than the Democrat party and blacks. The election of one black president (who barely secured his nomination) does not erase decades of abuse.
Tex, did you know that there is a prominent country club in Dallas that does not allow blacks to join? Even really rich, corporately-connected ones.

If you want to know the pull of minorities in the GOP, all you had to do was look at the GOP convention. Which looked like the Mormon Tabernacle Choir. The dem convention looked like a mass of humanity, of all stripes. You tell me which group is more welcoming to minorities.
Old 05-12-2009, 04:16 PM   #28
il Padrino Ute
Board Pinhead

il Padrino Ute is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeWaters View Post
Tex, did you know that there is a prominent country club in Dallas that does not allow blacks to join? Even really rich, corporately-connected ones.

If you want to know the pull of minorities in the GOP, all you had to do was look at the GOP convention. Which looked like the Mormon Tabernacle Choir. The dem convention looked like a mass of humanity, of all stripes. You tell me which group is more welcoming to minorities.
You're correct that there is a greater variety of race that is in the Dem party; however, Tex is asking why do blacks continue to be a part of a political party, the politics of which continuously keep the blacks in poverty? Sure, Mormons aren't liked by the religious right, but what does the religious right in the GOP do politically to Mormons that prevents them from making their lives better?

"This is now the joke that stupid people laugh at." - Christopher Hitchens on IQ jokes about GWB.
il Padrino Ute is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2009, 04:17 PM   #29
MikeWaters
Demiurge

Quote:
Originally Posted by il Padrino Ute View Post
You're correct that there is a greater variety of race that is in the Dem party; however, Tex is asking why do blacks continue to be a part of a political party, the politics of which continuously keep the blacks in poverty? Sure, Mormons aren't liked by the religious right, but what does the religious right in the GOP do politically to Mormons that prevents them from making their lives better?
They keep Mormons from assuming the reigns of power, in order to improve their lives.

Remember, the GOP is the party of Lincoln, who was among the greatest anti-Mormon bigots of all-time.`
Old 05-12-2009, 04:37 PM   #30
il Padrino Ute
Board Pinhead

il Padrino Ute is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeWaters View Post
They keep Mormons from assuming the reigns of power, in order to improve their lives.
Ummm...ok.

Quote:
Remember, the GOP is the party of Lincoln, who was among the greatest anti-Mormon bigots of all-time.`
He also sold poison milk to school children.

"This is now the joke that stupid people laugh at." - Christopher Hitchens on IQ jokes about GWB.
il Padrino Ute is offline   Reply With Quote