cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board  

Go Back   cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board > non-Sports > Religious Studies

Old 01-18-2011, 08:47 PM   #1
MikeWaters
Demiurge

MikeWaters is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Richard Turley

I heard him speak the other night. The subject was on the Book of Mormon and its origins.

Was not really all that fascinating to be honest. I did learn about the relationship between the various published editions of the Book of Mormon, and how there was a branching off point in about 1839, where a prior version was used to create the European edition, whereas JS had made a corrected version based on the original Cowdery dictation. But these changes were not used in subsequent editions until 1981.

Anti-Mormon idiots like to make hay about all the changes to the Book of Mormon. Boring idiots.

I also didn't know that the original dictation was placed in the cornerstone of a building in Kirtland or Nauvoo, forget which one. Joseph got tired of hauling that thing around. Church has most of it. He showed a slide with one of the pages.

Of course, he didn't get into any particulars, like seer stones and hats, and whether the church has the Sword of Laban in its vault.

He talked at length about the lost 116 pages. About Martin Harris. About how the plates looked, how big they were, how they turned from right to left.

I don't usually go to these kinds of things, but this I did.
MikeWaters is offline   Reply With Quote