cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board  

Go Back   cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board > non-Sports > Finances

Old 09-25-2008, 05:47 PM   #1
Indy Coug

Indy Coug is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Actuaries Scrambling to Respond to Sub-Prime Crisis

Here is a snippet from an email I just got

Quote:
The Society of Actuaries' Committee on Finance Research and Risk Management Research Team are seeking researchers to evaluate and gauge the impact of the subprime mortgage crisis on insurers and what can be learned from it for future financial and risk management. Among the topics of interest include the extent of the exposure, how it can be measured, and the expected duration.

To view a complete description of the request for proposals, please click on the link below:

http://www.soa.org/research/other-re...ime-mortg.aspx
Indy Coug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2008, 05:53 PM   #2
TripletDaddy

TripletDaddy can only hope to improve

Here is a SWAG, without consulting any actuaries:

In the future, banks should not lend money to people who do not have the income to support the payments.

Hey, that's just me, though. I'm no professional. It will be really interesting to see what the actuaries come up with after months of analysis.

"Everyone is against me. Everyone is fawning for 3D's attention and defending him." -- SeattleUte
TripletDaddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2008, 06:07 PM   #3
Indy Coug

Indy Coug is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by TripletDaddy View Post
Here is a SWAG, without consulting any actuaries:

In the future, banks should not lend money to people who do not have the income to support the payments.

Hey, that's just me, though. I'm no professional. It will be really interesting to see what the actuaries come up with after months of analysis.
That's not the source of their concern. What is of interest is when insurance companies buy mortgage-backed securities are they able to properly assess the quality of the asset and appropriately model and manage its associated risk.

Insurance companies don't hold much in the way of equities; their portfolios are pretty conservative. Mortgage-backed securities are an attractive investment option for insurance companies given their alleged low risk, rate of return and relative predictibility of the timing of the cashflows.

Since MBS represent a sizeable portion of an insurance company's portfolio, it leaves them very exposed if they end up being significantly less secure an investment than originally believed. This going to cause a significant shakeup in the industry in terms of investment strategy, ERM and cashflow testing.
Indy Coug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2008, 06:42 PM   #4
TripletDaddy

TripletDaddy can only hope to improve

Quote:
Originally Posted by Indy Coug View Post
That's not the source of their concern. What is of interest is when insurance companies buy mortgage-backed securities are they able to properly assess the quality of the asset and appropriately model and manage its associated risk.

Insurance companies don't hold much in the way of equities; their portfolios are pretty conservative. Mortgage-backed securities are an attractive investment option for insurance companies given their alleged low risk, rate of return and relative predictibility of the timing of the cashflows.

Since MBS represent a sizeable portion of an insurance company's portfolio, it leaves them very exposed if they end up being significantly less secure an investment than originally believed. This going to cause a significant shakeup in the industry in terms of investment strategy, ERM and cashflow testing.
on a serious note, i assumed that most purchasers of mortgage-backed securities were hedge and mutual funds, as opposed to insurance companies.

"Everyone is against me. Everyone is fawning for 3D's attention and defending him." -- SeattleUte
TripletDaddy is offline   Reply With Quote