cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board  

Go Back   cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board > SPORTS! > Basketball

Old 01-30-2018, 03:26 AM   #1
MikeWaters
Demiurge

MikeWaters is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Fans' love affair with Dastrup is curious

I Posted this on CB:

Quote:
Dalton Nixon has made more 2-pt FGs (23) than Dastrup (17).

If Childs makes 2 more 3-pt FGs, he will be tied with Dastrup (9).

Dastrup leads the team in turnovers per 40 minutes (3.0). Next worse is Childs (2.8).

Dalton Nixon is the 3rd best on the team in assists per 40 min (3.5). Dastrup is 7th best (2.8).

Worthington (.63) and Nixon (.62) both surpass Dastrup (.39) in free throw attempt rate by a large margin. How many times have you seen Dastrup execute a back-to-the-basket move in the post? Never happens.

Nixon (0.5 and Worthington (0.4) both exceed Dastrup (0.4) in offensive win shares. Dastrup is also last among these 3 in defensive win shares.

Nixon (2.0) tops out over Dastrup (1.9) in offensive box plus/minus (adjusted for per 100 possession).

Dastrup is 3rd on the team in win shares per 40 minutes, bested only by Bryant and Childs. However if you look at the same statistic in conference games only, Dastrup is last on the team. 12th place (a miserable .064).

Remember the guys telling you how awesome Dastrup's true shooting % is? He is second only to Bergersen (who doesn't really count, having played 1 minute total). In conference play, he is 10th best on the team.

The only two players with a lower efficiency rating in conference play than Dastrup are Bergersen and Shaw, who have played a combined 32 minutes.
MikeWaters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2018, 01:51 PM   #2
BlueK

BlueK is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeWaters View Post
I Posted this on CB:
Too many turnovers is probably why Rose doesn't play him more, along with his defense usually being pretty bad. And he has too many mental lapses. And he doesn't rebound all that well because he's not usually in a great position for it. He shows flashes of having some talent, like that drive down the lane and slam dunk a couple of games ago. Rose seems to want to play him more but can't because he is still not there mentally. But I hope he can come around. It's not unusual for a college player to not be a big contributor until his junior year.
Old 01-31-2018, 02:08 PM   #3
BlueK

BlueK is on a distinguished road

Also, the fans' love for Dastrup has a lot to do with how he got offers from Ohio State, Virginia, Florida, etc. If his other offers had been Weber State, Cal-St. Northridge and Northern Arizona, I think the reaction from the fans would be completely different. Personally I'm not ready to give up on him either, but he's got to step up a little better on his decision making.
Old 01-31-2018, 02:35 PM   #4
MikeWaters
Demiurge

MikeWaters is an unknown quantity at this point

He has potential for sure. I'm not sure he actually has the will and desire to excel. Which is disappointing. He has some limitations, for example, he will never have great foot speed.

But man, get yourself in the best shape possible. Put the effort in. And dedicate yourself to the role that the coaches ask of you.
MikeWaters is offline   Reply With Quote