cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board  

Go Back   cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board > non-Sports > Religion
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-09-2008, 07:31 PM   #21
MikeWaters
Demiurge

MikeWaters is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by il Padrino Ute View Post
Facilities - Facilities cost money when not in use too. The church doesn't disconnect from the power grid when nobody is there.

Strong arming members - link? Perhaps your definition of strong arming is a bit more weak than mine. I doubt anyone has been extorted or threatened physical harm by the church if they don't participate.

Claimed imprimatur with God - I agree.
your post is also bankrupt.
MikeWaters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2008, 07:31 PM   #22
il Padrino Ute
Board Pinhead

il Padrino Ute is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeWaters View Post
your post is also bankrupt.
Perhaps in your opinion.

"This is now the joke that stupid people laugh at." - Christopher Hitchens on IQ jokes about GWB.
il Padrino Ute is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2008, 07:32 PM   #23
ERCougar

ERCougar is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tex View Post
I probably didn't read it, since I don't have that strong feelings about Prop 8.

But I have read the church's release, and it doesn't strike me as bankrupt. I'm gonna guess your "rebuttal" was bunk.
I have a vague recollection of the rebuttal, and as there was nothing interesting or new that he was saying, and some of his arguments were just plain stupid nit-picking, the "apologists" were likely just ignoring him. And I actually agree with Mike on the issue.
ERCougar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2008, 07:32 PM   #24
MikeWaters
Demiurge

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flystripper View Post
I have news for your MIL. Three of my son's friends in his 2nd grade class have gay parents. The quarterback on his pee wee football team has two mommies. Reading a story in school isn't going to shape his opinion of gay marriage or families with gay parents. His interaction everyday with normal kids who have gay parents is what is shaping his opinion. Now when he sees that some of his friends have 2 mommies or 2 daddies he shrugs his shoulders and says "big deal".

Families with gay parents are not going away and are going to be more and more common. Reading a story in school is nothing. Once again the prop 8 campaign resorts to fear-mongering.
I venture to say that most people on this board and on CG have no gay friends or acquaintances.

Gays are still "the other."

How many here have invited an openly gay man into their home for a meal?
Old 10-09-2008, 07:35 PM   #25
ERCougar

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flystripper View Post
I have news for your MIL. Three of my son's friends in his 2nd grade class have gay parents. The quarterback on his pee wee football team has two mommies. Reading a story in school isn't going to shape his opinion of gay marriage or families with gay parents. His interaction everyday with normal kids who have gay parents is what is shaping his opinion. Now when he sees that some of his friends have 2 mommies or 2 daddies he shrugs his shoulders and says "big deal".

Families with gay parents are not going away and are going to be more and more common. Reading a story in school is nothing. Once again the prop 8 campaign resorts to fear-mongering.
The funny thing about it is that her sister is a lesbian, and she had no problem with her children (my wife) spending plenty of time at her house. She's not a hateful or fearful person, although it seems like she's becoming stranger as she ages.

I really think she's just listening to Hannity too much and wants to toe the Republican line.
Old 10-09-2008, 07:38 PM   #26
BlueHair

BlueHair is on a distinguished road

Quote:
I venture to say that most people on this board and on CG have no gay friends or acquaintances.

It depends on what you mean by "meal".

I have been out to dinner with a gay couple, but it was my friend's friends. I don't know them well enough to invite them over. To be fair, I don't really like entertaining in the first place. I wouldn't have a problem with it.
BlueHair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2008, 07:39 PM   #27
ERCougar

Quote:

Yes, Mike, we're all just a bunch of uncultured isolated hicks. If only we could attain the sophistication of Dallas, TX.

I would venture to say most people DO have gay acquaintances. I've had a gay roommate, several friends (at BYU and med school) who were gay, several gay coworkers, and my closest aunt is gay.
Old 10-09-2008, 07:40 PM   #28
MikeWaters
Demiurge

Quote:
Originally Posted by ERCougar View Post
Yes, Mike, we're all just a bunch of uncultured isolated hicks. If only we could attain the sophistication of Dallas, TX.

I would venture to say most people DO have gay acquaintances. I've had a gay roommate, several friends (at BYU and med school) who were gay, several gay coworkers, and my closest aunt is gay.
you think that describes a majority of people on CB and CG? I don't.
Old 10-09-2008, 07:43 PM   #29
ERCougar

Quote:
you think that describes a majority of people on CB and CG? I don't.
Not CB, but that's a freakshow.

CG? Yes. I think it's fairly hard to exist without having at least casual encounters with gay people, whether you know it or not.
Old 10-09-2008, 07:47 PM   #30
Sleeping in EQ

Sleeping in EQ is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by il Padrino Ute View Post
Perhaps in your opinion.
Church leaders are using official channels to martial support for Prop 8, including press releases. They've issued instructions to ward and stake leaders in CA, they've devoted time during the Sunday block to the issue in CA, they're asking for service and donations and are pouring in money. Not to mention that the Church considers itself part of the pro-Prop 8 coalition.

This is not simply the activities of individual members, and you know it.
"Do not despise the words of prophets, but test everything; hold fast to what is good; " 1 Thess. 5:21 (NRSV)

We all trust our own unorthodoxies.
Sleeping in EQ is offline   Reply With Quote