cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board  

Go Back   cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board > non-Sports > Religion
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-30-2007, 11:31 PM   #131
FMCoug

FMCoug

Quote:
Originally Posted by Archaea View Post
The music standard imposed by the Church seems to have originated when loud, disruptive rock type Christian music was being written and played. I don't have immediate proof that my supposition was its origin, but that's how it was explained to me.

And I can appreciate the concept of reverence, but not how it is currently interpreted. I also take hope from the efforts of Sister Knight and her counsel which she received from President Hinckley. When queried about the Church, she commented about how she loved the Church but that its music needed a certain spicing up. To which President Hinckley responded, "what are you going to do about that?"
They should call Sister Knight as a GA (the sister kind of course) whose job it is to evangelize appropriate music throughout the church. Have her speak in general conference ever. That would cause some serious angst among mullahs.
FMCoug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2007, 11:34 PM   #132
Requiem

Requiem is on a distinguished road

Quote:
And I can appreciate the concept of reverence, but not how it is currently interpreted. I also take hope from the efforts of Sister Knight and her counsel which she received from President Hinckley. When queried about the Church, she commented about how she loved the Church but that its music needed a certain spicing up. To which President Hinckley responded, "what are you going to do about that?"
What a great quote from President Hinckley. May I take you up on your offer to provide contact information? Thank you.
Requiem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2007, 11:37 PM   #133
Archaea
Assistant to the Regional Manager

Archaea is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Requiem View Post
What a great quote from President Hinckley. May I take you up on your offer to provide contact information? Thank you.
I will contact my stake president to see how he's addressed and sorta clear the path. I only have his cell phone and wish to see how he would discuss matters.

I will present it as other stakes are looking at options in regards to expanding musical options for Church functions, to see what he has done in regard to Sister Knight. Perhaps it was done above him, I'm really not certain, but he has been very supportive of her efforts.
Old 07-30-2007, 11:52 PM   #134
Surfah
Master

Surfah is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via AIM to Surfah Send a message via MSN to Surfah

In our mission, Amazing Grace was not allowed to be apart of the baptismal service.

Charles Barkley: "20 pts and 10 rebounds will get you through also!"
Surfah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2007, 12:06 AM   #135
Archaea

Quote:
Originally Posted by surfah33 View Post
In our mission, Amazing Grace was not allowed to be apart of the baptismal service.
But you didn't belong to the real church, you belonged to the statist Mormon church.
Old 07-31-2007, 12:21 AM   #136
Tex

Tex is on a distinguished road

Quote:
I am genuinely interested in why you don't think Amazing Grace would be appropriate for a choir number at a Sacrament Meeting? It does not espouse false doctrine, adds to the spiritual atmosphere and is not in conflict with any explicit Church guidelines.
Did I say that? I don't believe I've expressed a view on the appropriateness of any specific piece in any specific setting. I just thought it pertinent to point out that not all church meetings are created equal when it comes to the types of music selected.

Quote:
I believe we (myself included) can get far too hung up on the perceived letter of the law at the expense of seeking those things that enhance the spirit. One of the positive thoughts expressed in this thread is the notion that local congregations/wards should be allowed to use music that, within reasonable limits, meets the musical preferences of the members.
I think that notion already exists, at least in the wards I've been a part of. And not to sound preachy, but the overriding concern of a sacrament meeting is the focus on Christ, the sacrament, and the invitation of the spirit. Preferences of the members are subordinate to those concerns, and the person who makes the decisions as to what is and what isn't is the presiding authority.

Your bishop handled that authority without much grace, but the decision is still his to make.

Quote:
We don't need to be commanded in all things. Free agency is part of the Lord's plan.
I don't think this has anything to do with it.

Quote:
But you didn't belong to the real church, you belonged to the statist Mormon church.
"Statist" seems to be a convenient hobby epithet you are now using to avoid having to formulate legitimate thoughts.

- Cali Coug

"Oh dear, granny, what a long tail our puss has got."

- Brigham Young
Tex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2007, 12:26 AM   #137
Archaea

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tex View Post
Your bishop handled that authority without much grace, but the decision is still his to make.
An authoritarian to the end. Who dispute the authority of the bishop? I don't think you'll find one poster disputing the bishop had the authority to make the call, we just dispute the call he made.

Quote:
"Statist" seems to be a convenient hobby epithet you are now using to avoid having to formulate legitimate thoughts.
Humor. You might try some on for size, as it might actually become you. But we couldn't have an authoritarian with a sense humor, could we?
Old 07-31-2007, 12:29 AM   #138
Tex

Tex is on a distinguished road

Quote:
An authoritarian to the end. Who dispute the authority of the bishop? I don't think you'll find one poster disputing the bishop had the authority to make the call, we just dispute the call he made.
You're kidding, right? This entire thread has evolved into how uninspiring Church music is, even hinting at elements of racism in the selection of hymns.

This goes way beyond challenging the authority of a mere bishop.

Quote:
Humor. You might try some on for size, as it might actually become you. But we couldn't have an authoritarian with a sense humor, could we?
Ha. .... Ha. .... Ha.

- Cali Coug

"Oh dear, granny, what a long tail our puss has got."

- Brigham Young
Tex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2007, 12:41 AM   #139
Archaea

Quote:
... hinting at elements of racism in the selection of hymns.
It was the deselection of music of African American in origin. That signal should been loud and clear to a bishop in the DC area. It's not like he was some country hick in Northern Arizona.

Quote:
This goes way beyond challenging the authority of a mere bishop.
Challenge authority? Question a decision is not challenging authority. We're examining the thought process or lack thereof.

Challenge it, is to state openly, "Hey Bishop you have no authority to do that."[/quote]
Old 07-31-2007, 02:04 AM   #140
ChinoCoug

ChinoCoug is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
One could argue there's Calvinism in Amazing Grace

"Twas grace that taught my heart to fear and grace my fears relieved /
How precious did the grace appear the hour I first believed"

No personal responsibility?

But one could also say the same about Rock of Ages

"all for sin could not atone /
thou must save, and thou alone. "