cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board  

Go Back   cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board > SPORTS! > Cycling
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 02-29-2008, 09:47 PM   #1
bYuPride

bYuPride is an unknown quantity at this point
Default cycling sunglasses question..

i know i promised to stop asking dumb questions, but i would rather hear the advice from people that i "know" rather than just throwing a question out to random people.. anyway, i've seen people wearing the clear lens, the yellow and the dark lens. my question is when do you wear each lens?

obviously the dark lenses are for during the middle of the day during the sun, i'm guessing the clear lenses are for early early morning and super late into the evening, and then they yellow lenses are for the inbetween time?

is it that big of a deal to have the yellow? i would think the clear and dark lenses would be the most important..
Get your BYU license plates http://dmv.utah.gov/licensecollegiate.html#byu You do not have to wait for your current registration to expire. Get your freakin' plates on your vehicle and be TRUE BLUE!!!!!!

"I'm on my beater bike"

Translation: I had this baby custom-made in Tuscany using titanium blessed by the Pope. I took it to a wind tunnel and it disappeared. It weighs less than a fart and costs more than a divorce.
bYuPride is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-29-2008, 10:02 PM   #2
Coach McGuirk

Coach McGuirk is on a distinguished road

My Rudy Projects came with Red and Smoke lenses. The Red are for low light situation and I would assume your yellow are for the same. I know the Red tend to gather more light than clear. That is the extent of my knowledge on this subject.
"Hey! It's all ball bearings nowadays. Now you prepare that Fetzer valve with some 3-in-1 oil and some gauze pads. And I'm gonna need 'bout ten quarts of anti-freeze, preferably Prestone. No, no make that Quaker State. "
Coach McGuirk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-29-2008, 10:18 PM   #3
hyrum

hyrum is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coach McGuirk View Post
My Rudy Projects came with Red and Smoke lenses. The Red are for low light situation and I would assume your yellow are for the same. I know the Red tend to gather more light than clear. That is the extent of my knowledge on this subject.
Blue are for hanging out on coogerbored, red for Utefans.net

Seriously, red would block all colors but red so I don't know how they could gather more light. Only reason for different colors would be for contrast such as yellow, maybe. Personally I like polarized sunglasses -- reduces glare -- but that is just me.
hyrum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-29-2008, 10:25 PM   #4
bluegoose

bluegoose is on a distinguished road

I've never really seen red lenses, but I've got dark, clear and yellow lenses. Yellow actually provide good contrast in low light times. I've appreciated having them while mountain biking in the past when we were using lights.

But for all practical purposes, you don't really need anything more than clear and dark.

A friend of mine found some prescription sport transition sunglasses online which go from totally clear to full-blown sunglasses in different light. He paid a pretty penny for them, but he loves them.
bluegoose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-29-2008, 10:34 PM   #5
creekster

creekster is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by bYuPride View Post
i know i promised to stop asking dumb questions, but i would rather hear the advice from people that i "know" rather than just throwing a question out to random people.. anyway, i've seen people wearing the clear lens, the yellow and the dark lens. my question is when do you wear each lens?

obviously the dark lenses are for during the middle of the day during the sun, i'm guessing the clear lenses are for early early morning and super late into the evening, and then they yellow lenses are for the inbetween time?

is it that big of a deal to have the yellow? i would think the clear and dark lenses would be the most important..

I wear dark in light. Yellow in dusk or on heavily overcast days. Clear at night or in dark. I don't like the yellow at night.
Old 02-29-2008, 10:34 PM   #6
Coach McGuirk

This is from the Rudy Project website.

RACING RED
High optical quality lenses in high definition Polycarbonate treated with multi layered coating to enhance visual depth and eliminate eye fatigue.

Medium Sunlight Intermittent Sunlight Cloudy or Snowy Conditions
"Hey! It's all ball bearings nowadays. Now you prepare that Fetzer valve with some 3-in-1 oil and some gauze pads. And I'm gonna need 'bout ten quarts of anti-freeze, preferably Prestone. No, no make that Quaker State. "
Old 02-29-2008, 10:35 PM   #7
creekster

creekster is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by hyrum View Post

Seriously, red would block all colors but red so I don't know how they could gather more light. Only reason for different colors would be for contrast such as yellow, maybe. Personally I like polarized sunglasses -- reduces glare -- but that is just me.

Some nice polarized aviators would go well with a bent.

Sorry. I will try to stop that.
Old 02-29-2008, 10:36 PM   #8
Coach McGuirk

Quote:
Originally Posted by hyrum View Post

You are right. Not gather more light but they define the images better or that is the theory.
Old 02-29-2008, 10:59 PM   #9
hyrum

hyrum is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by creekster View Post
Some nice polarized aviators would go well with a bent.

Sorry. I will try to stop that.
indeed
hyrum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2008, 07:00 PM   #10
bYuPride

bYuPride is an unknown quantity at this point

sounds like all i'll need for now is a pair of clear and dark lenses.. thank you for your help!
Get your BYU license plates http://dmv.utah.gov/licensecollegiate.html#byu You do not have to wait for your current registration to expire. Get your freakin' plates on your vehicle and be TRUE BLUE!!!!!!

"I'm on my beater bike"

Translation: I had this baby custom-made in Tuscany using titanium blessed by the Pope. I took it to a wind tunnel and it disappeared. It weighs less than a fart and costs more than a divorce.
bYuPride is offline   Reply With Quote