cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board  

Go Back   cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board > non-Sports > Outdoor / Scouting / Survival
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-09-2006, 03:59 PM   #31
Robin

Robin is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeWaters
I really don't have a lot of sympathy for those high-minded people who have excuses for not getting involved, or disparage good organizations for this reason or that.

"I abandoned my responsibility to help young men in the church grow and develop because of [insert bullshit reason here]."

"I loved scouts, but I find it so morally reprehensible that scouts don't [insert bullshit reason here] that I cannot be involved."

Fact is the church and scouts don't need dope-smoking riff-raff as leaders anyway.

So, I guess it is a WIN-WIN.

One of my friends, who is estranged from the church, whom I approached about being involved in my troop....I expected him to possibly say 'I don't agree with scouting policy on...therefore I cannot in good conscience..."

Nothing of the sort. Due to time/work he is not involved, but I hope to pull him in eventually.
Wow Mike. This was supposed to be a nice thread, as Homeboy pointed out, and I even apologized for bringing up the gay thing, then I voiced appreciation for what you are doing personally, and then I dropped it.

If we both agree that it was probably a WIN-WIN that I give up my calling as Young Men's president when I left the church then why the hostility?
Robin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2006, 04:09 PM   #32
MikeWaters
Demiurge

MikeWaters is an unknown quantity at this point

who said I was referring to you? You think that you're the only riff-raff in the world?

People who walk away are a dime a dozen.
MikeWaters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2006, 04:10 PM   #33
Robin

Quote:
who said I was referring to you? You think that you're the only riff-raff in the world?

People who walk away are a dime a dozen.
The dope-smoking part, which imo is an unfair characterization, gave it away.

Last edited by Robin; 06-09-2006 at 04:21 PM.
Old 06-09-2006, 08:42 PM   #34
SeattleUte

SeattleUte has a little shameless behaviour in the past

Quote:
I really don't have a lot of sympathy for those high-minded people who have excuses for not getting involved, or disparage good organizations for this reason or that.

"I abandoned my responsibility to help young men in the church grow and develop because of [insert bullshit reason here]."

"I loved scouts, but I find it so morally reprehensible that scouts don't [insert bullshit reason here] that I cannot be involved."

Fact is the church and scouts don't need dope-smoking riff-raff as leaders anyway.

So, I guess it is a WIN-WIN.

One of my friends, who is estranged from the church, whom I approached about being involved in my troop....I expected him to possibly say 'I don't agree with scouting policy on...therefore I cannot in good conscience..."

Nothing of the sort. Due to time/work he is not involved, but I hope to pull him in eventually.
I know what you mean. Just the other day I heard some old geezer who lived as a young man in Germany in the '30's and early '40's say: "I loved the Hitler youth, it taught so many things about discipline, self-reliance, and pride in one's community and nation, but I it found it so morally reprehensible that the HY [insert bullshit reason here] that I could not remain involved."

—Paul Auster

Last edited by SeattleUte; 06-09-2006 at 08:44 PM.
SeattleUte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2006, 10:48 PM   #35
creekster

creekster is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeattleUte
I know what you mean. Just the other day I heard some old geezer who lived as a young man in Germany in the '30's and early '40's say: "I loved the Hitler youth, it taught so many things about discipline, self-reliance, and pride in one's community and nation, but I it found it so morally reprehensible that the HY [insert bullshit reason here] that I could not remain involved."
Someone remind me the name of the web axiom that says something like once you invoke a comparison to hitler/nazis you have lost the argument.

This seems a little weak for you, SU.
Old 06-09-2006, 11:00 PM   #36
Archaea
Assistant to the Regional Manager

Archaea is an unknown quantity at this point

Mike nice report.

If Robin doesn't like not hanging around gay people, that's his choice.

You're warming me up to scouting. My sons love scouting. I support them because I love my sons to death, even if I'm not that sold on scouting, not having been a scout myself.

I really don't like camping that much, and I am not that sold on some of the snot-nosed kids. However, anything my boys love, who are dear to my heart, I will support my boys.

We have an impressive troop. Our scoutleaders are devoted, and knowledgeable. Most of our boys will earn Eagles and mine for example is on track for his Eagle shortly after his thirteenth birthday. Most of the other boys are.

Thanks Mike.
Old 06-10-2006, 12:46 AM   #37
SeattleUte

SeattleUte has a little shameless behaviour in the past

Quote:
Originally Posted by creekster
Someone remind me the name of the web axiom that says something like once you invoke a comparison to hitler/nazis you have lost the argument.

I'm not saying the Hitler Yuouth and Boy Scouts are alike. Just poking fun at Mike's logic. I do understand why someone would choose not to participate in the BSA (someone who was straight) because of its discrimination against gays and wouldn't necessarily question their motives. I also repect those such as Mike who do choose to participate and serve.

—Paul Auster
SeattleUte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2006, 03:14 AM   #38
Robin

Quote:
Originally Posted by creekster

The logic is correct, even if you don't like the comparison.

Some people just have a higher threshold for contradiction in life.

As Camus once said, "But what is happiness except the simple harmony between a man and the life he leads."
Old 06-10-2006, 07:48 AM   #39
realtall

realtall is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via AIM to realtall

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mormon Red Death
personally I think the church should install a gong. That way whenever someone gets longwinded you could run up the front and bang the gong and they would have to stop

Oh yeah, the gong is always a good way to go. Here are some others.
Old 06-10-2006, 08:29 AM   #40
il Padrino Ute
Board Pinhead

il Padrino Ute is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by realtall
Oh yeah, the gong is always a good way to go. Here are some others.
Excellent ideas, each and every one.

I would suggest the "this movie is so bad that I am going to leave" method. Just get up, gather the family and walk out of the chapel and go home.

Then there is the not so subtle method of my 7 year old - I'd give him a microphone and he'd state his opinion of whoever is at the pulpit: "This guy is the most boring person in the world."

Or how about the "throw tomatoes at the speaker" method? Rather messy, but effective.

"This is now the joke that stupid people laugh at." - Christopher Hitchens on IQ jokes about GWB.
il Padrino Ute is offline   Reply With Quote