cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board  

Go Back   cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board > non-Sports > Outdoor / Scouting / Survival
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-12-2006, 09:16 AM   #11
myboynoah

myboynoah is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by homeboy
Out of business.

Then the rest. that replaced them is out of business.

Now there is a teppanyaki rest. there.
Yeah, just what the world needs, another teppanyaki restaurant.

Religion rises inevitably from our apprehension of our own death. To give meaning to meaninglessness is the endless quest of all religion. When death becomes the center of our consciousness, then religion authentically begins. Of all religions that I know, the one that most vehemently and persuasively defies and denies the reality of death is the original Mormonism of the Prophet, Seer and Revelator, Joseph Smith.
myboynoah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2006, 06:24 PM   #12
Cali Coug

Cali Coug has a little shameless behaviour in the past

Here are links to recipes:

http://www.idos.com/Default.aspx?tabid=130
Cali Coug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2006, 03:23 PM   #13
YardTime

YardTime

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeWaters
I want to try making pizza. Wow the scouts as they fumble with their foil dinners..
hmmmm....pizza......when I do pies I elevate the pie tin off the bottom of the dutch oven so the crust doesn't burn. You may want to try the same thing. Do you have a pizza pan small enough (or a dutch oven big enough) to fit inside one of your durch ovens? I'd put the pizza on that and then elevate the pizza pan off the bottom of the dutch oven with 2 or 3 of those rings they use on canning jars.

I see no reason why it wouldn't turn out great.
YardTime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2006, 08:44 PM   #14
Bernard

Bernard is on a distinguished road
Default I don't use dutch oven recipes.

I love cooking with dutch ovens and have competed in some competitions (when I can't get out out it; they get a little goofy and overboard, imo). That said, I don't like traditional dutch oven recipes--too much bacon grease/butter/fat, generally speaking.

Once you get the temp/timing down, you can easily do anything in a dutch oven that you can do at home on your stove or in the oven.

I have a good pizza recipe that I mix everything in a gallon ziplock bag (except for the water and yeast). At camp, I proof the yeast in water and add it to the bag and knead it right in the bag. For pizza, put more than the normal 2/3's coals on top and the bottom crust should be fine--just ensure that the oven is perfectly flat. I found out the hard way about being perfectly flat.

Get the temp thing down first. The +3 -3 thing seems to work well for me. For a 350 degree fire in a 12-inch oven, take the diameter of the oven and add three coals (12 + 3 = 15) for the top. Take the diameter of the oven and subtract 3 for the bottom (12 - 3 = 9). For every 10 degrees add/take away a coal. For the timing, just check often.

Once you get the temp/timing down, you can cook anything. Find a recipe that you like and have tried at home and try it in a dutch oven. Most recipes that contain some liquid are quite forgiving. Bread and sweet rolls give me the most trouble.
Bernard is offline   Reply With Quote