cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board  

Go Back   cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board > SPORTS! > Football
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12-05-2006, 10:40 PM   #1
All-American

All-American is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via MSN to All-American
Default BYU's 1984 Championship

I'm enrolled in a class on Utah history this semester, and we're supposed to be writing a paper about any event in Utah's history that is particularly impactful. I asked the teacher, and he gave permission to write about BYU's 1984 championship-- if I can find three "scholarly sources" about the event.

I'm not likely to be writing on this topic, of course, but I figure it's worth a shot. Are there three "scholarly sources" that could be consulted on such a paper? Lee Benson's "And They Came to Pass" may count as one, for example. Are there two other similar works on BYU football, especially dealing with the 84 season, that you CG guys know of?

Thanks.
Old 12-05-2006, 10:45 PM   #2
SeattleUte

SeattleUte has a little shameless behaviour in the past

Quote:
Originally Posted by All-American View Post
I'm enrolled in a class on Utah history this semester, and we're supposed to be writing a paper about any event in Utah's history that is particularly impactful. I asked the teacher, and he gave permission to write about BYU's 1984 championship-- if I can find three "scholarly sources" about the event.

I'm not likely to be writing on this topic, of course, but I figure it's worth a shot. Are there three "scholarly sources" that could be consulted on such a paper? Lee Benson's "And They Came to Pass" may count as one, for example. Are there two other similar works on BYU football, especially dealing with the 84 season, that you CG guys know of?

Thanks.
http://www.cougarboard.com/noframes/...tml?id=2326797

—Paul Auster
SeattleUte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2006, 11:56 PM   #3
BarbaraGordon

BarbaraGordon is on a distinguished road

Yay!! A librarian question! I'm gonna look at some databases and see if I can find anything.

You want books or journal articles, or it doesn't matter?
BarbaraGordon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2006, 12:43 AM   #4
BarbaraGordon

How come nobody at my library asks fun questions like this?

Okay. Here's what I got for you.

I think this would make an AWESOME paper topic, BTW.

You'd want to use the books to cover your "scholarly" bases, but the Sports Illustrated articles would be great as primary sources.

Anything your university doesn't have they could order through interlibrary loan, probably free of charge to students.

---------------------

Dissertation:
FOOTBALL RECRUITING: A COMPARISON OF THE BRIGHAM YOUNG UNIVERSITY RECRUITING PROGRAM WITH A STANDARD ESTABLISHED FROM SCHOOLS OF THE COLLEGE FOOTBALL ASSOCIATION
by EDWARDS, R. LAVELL, Educat.D., Brigham Young University, 1978, 100 pages; AAT 7821256

Books:
Religion and sport: the meeting of sacred and profane, Westport, Connecticut, Greenwood Press, c1993. (This book has a chapter on BYU football)

BYU, national champions: an account of the 1984 run to the pinnacle. [Monograph] News Books International Indianapolis, Ind., 1985, 111 p. : ill.
Looney, D.S.

Lavell Edwards: Building a Winning Football Tradition at Brigham Young University. Edwards, Lee Nelson. Council Press. 1980.

Magazines:
Clean, sober and insufferable: Brigham Young is loathed for its holier-than-thou attitude as well as for its relentless success. [Article] Sports illustrated (Los Angeles) 77(9), 31 Aug 1992, 66-70

Chamberlain, D. Praise the lord, pass the ball: at BYU, they don't smoke or drink and they don't like sex. So how come they win so many damn football games? [Article] Sport (New York) 75(12), Dec 1984, 55-58;64

Phillips, B. The man behind B.Y.U's passing fancy: coach of the year LaVell Edwards tells us the way it was and the way it is at B.Y.U. [Article] Scholastic coach (New York) 54(10), May/June 1985, 42-44;92-93

Smith, G. A season for spreading the faith. While BYU was winning its first national championship, future stars like Scott Peterson, shown below performing a baptism in Bolivia, were scattered about the earth winning converts to Mormonism. [Article] Sports illustrated (Los Angeles) 63(11), 4 Sept 1985, 84-88;90-92;94;98-101
Old 12-06-2006, 02:04 AM   #5
All-American

PERFECT. I may just give this thing a shot after all.

Thanks!
Old 12-06-2006, 02:04 AM   #6
All-American

By the way, that reply was to Lisa. Just in case anybody was wondering.
Old 12-06-2006, 02:07 AM   #7
cougjunkie

cougjunkie is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by All-American View Post
By the way, that reply was to Lisa. Just in case anybody was wondering.
Lisa where were you when i was in school?
Old 12-06-2006, 02:12 AM   #8
il Padrino Ute
Board Pinhead

il Padrino Ute is an unknown quantity at this point

I'm sure Dick Harmon has something stashed away to help you after his years of rifling through dumpsters and garbage cans near anything related to BYU football.

"This is now the joke that stupid people laugh at." - Christopher Hitchens on IQ jokes about GWB.
il Padrino Ute is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2006, 02:18 AM   #9
BarbaraGordon

Quote:
Originally Posted by cougjunkie View Post
Lisa where were you when i was in school?
Um, I'm guessing your school had librarians, too. Although it IS hard to find librarians that watch football.

I love those titles to the BYU articles...I was wondering what I'd get if I researched Oklahoma football from the same time period...I'm thinking the words "baptism," "sober," and "sacred" would be noticably absent.

BTW, Oklahoma won the title the next year. Just thought I should point that out.
Old 12-06-2006, 02:25 AM   #10
RockyBalboa

RockyBalboa is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via MSN to RockyBalboa

Dick Harmon, Paul James, Mark Lyons,