cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board  

Go Back   cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board > SPORTS! > Football
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-17-2008, 01:44 AM   #1
8ballrollin

8ballrollin is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Play calling question

With TCU getting in the backfield so quickly, I'm surprised BYU hasn't run any screens or mixed in play action. Does BYU shy away from the screen?
8ballrollin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2008, 03:05 AM   #2
tooblue

tooblue is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by 8ballrollin View Post
With TCU getting in the backfield so quickly, I'm surprised BYU hasn't run any screens or mixed in play action. Does BYU shy away from the screen?
Anae does not have a screen in his play book ... and he refuses to run the football!
tooblue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2008, 03:38 AM   #3
Mormon Red Death

Mormon Red Death is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by 8ballrollin View Post
That's funny because utah has thrown exactly one traditional screen play since 2002. I am being completely honest. it happened last year.
Old 10-17-2008, 04:06 AM   #4
exUte

exUte can only hope to improve
Default Anae

Quote:
Originally Posted by tooblue View Post
Anae does not have a screen in his play book ... and he refuses to run the football!
panicks.
Old 10-17-2008, 04:22 AM   #5
Hot Lunch

Hot Lunch is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mormon Red Death View Post
That's funny because utah has thrown exactly one traditional screen play since 2002. I am being completely honest. it happened last year.
I am calling bullshit on that one.
Hot Lunch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2008, 04:38 AM   #6
Mormon Red Death

Mormon Red Death is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hot Lunch View Post
I am calling bullshit on that one.
Can you remember one? I know for certain the 2003 and 2004 teams did not call a traditional screen pass. I don't remember one in 2005, 2006. (granted I am in Michigan and missed some games those year even though I certainly listened). Utah has run the laser screen a lot but not the traditional screen pass.
Old 10-17-2008, 04:46 AM   #7
Cali Coug

Cali Coug has a little shameless behaviour in the past

It was clear early on that Hall was really struggling. Who knows what happened to him tonight. He was more locked onto his first read than I have ever seen him. Of course, as the game progressed he didn't have much time to check down to anyone else given the pressure, but he was bad all night long. He threw behind recievers, forced passes into double coverage with no realistic chance for anything good to happen, and looked completely uninspiring on the field. Unga was getting some good yards early on in the game (3-4 yards on each carry, which is all you need to win), but BYU pretty quickly gave up on the run. Who knows why. The passing game sure wasn't going to win it for BYU tonight. Pitta was almost a non-factor.

On defense, BYU's biggest problem is at the middle linebacker spot. The MLBs don't have the speed they need to cover the middle of the field effectively, so if they drop into coverage, they have a hard time making up any lost ground for a delayed draw or a QB run. That, and the D line didn't get any pressure on TCU all night.

I really thought BYU would switch to a no huddle and snap the ball really quickly. It did wonders for OU and really screwed with TCU's rotations. They never really did it, and when they went with the no huddle, it was still taking 30 seconds to snap the ball. Unreal. On defense, they ran very few stunts.

What a depressing game.
Cali Coug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2008, 07:32 AM   #8
8ballrollin

8ballrollin is an unknown quantity at this point

Follow-up question/comment...

Against UW I thought BYU used the TE as a kind of hot read. Hall would hit him on quick slants. It seemed effective against pressure, but I didn't see that tonight. Not having an EZ camera angle I have no idea if this was because of the play calling or coverage - I couldn't see how the LBs were playing Pitta.
8ballrollin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2008, 07:54 AM   #9
ute4ever
I must not tell lies

ute4ever is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cali Coug View Post
It was clear early on that Hall was really struggling. Who knows what happened to him tonight.
He wasn't playing the Payson 27th ward tonight. Instead of having four seconds to make a decision, the Frogs gave him less than two.

ute4ever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2008, 12:24 PM   #10
DrumNFeather
Active LDS Ute Fan

DrumNFeather is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by ute4ever View Post
He wasn't playing the Payson 27th ward tonight. Instead of having four seconds to make a decision, the Frogs gave him less than two.

That's a good point. Max Has been upright most of his career as the starting QB, which is a credit to him, the line, and the offensive weapons, but TCU did a good job of mixing up their defenses and rattling him early, setting the tone for an unsettled Hall all game.

Never thought I'd be giving Dick Bubbus that much credit.
DrumNFeather is offline   Reply With Quote