cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board  

Go Back   cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board > SPORTS! > Football
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-12-2008, 06:07 PM   #11
8ballrollin

8ballrollin is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheSizzle36 View Post
I agree to a point. 2006 they were close, finishing at 7-9 and looking like they'd turned things around. However, they probably won some games they shouldn't have and their record was a bit inflated. And Smith has had a rough go of it, with a new offensive system every year making it tough to get into a rhythm. But there have been times he's looked flat out awful.
In 2005 the Niners were a very bad team. They never should have started AS that year. It would have been better to keep Tim Rattay - a serviceable QB for a crappy team - and have AS just watch for the year. At the end of the year, Mike McCarthy leaves for GB and takes the WCO with him. It has yet to return to its birthplace.

In 2006 Turner really helped Smith a lot. He installs a new O and fits plays for Smith's strengths. Gore was a monster that season too. The defense was still very bad. Turner leaves for SD in the offseason.

2007 AS is 2-1 after three games. Has his shoulder blown out in game four vs. Seattle. His line was a joke. Comes back too early and then leaves for season ending surgery. Hostler is a horrible OC (he was the QB coach previously – even though he played CB in college). The defense is much better – Nolan's specialty (he knows nothing about offense). AS and Nolan fight publicly via the press.

Now in 2008 Mike Martz comes to town with the fourth offense in as many years. He brings his backup QB from Detroit with him. JTO will start W1. AS is due + $9M next year. If he's not starting by week 3, my guess is he'll be in SD (Turner is a fan), Tampa (Gruden likes him), or Minn by the end of the year.

The Yorks suck. Nolan sucks. We need to get someone back from the Family Tree – someone who once worked for The Great Man.
8ballrollin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2008, 08:42 PM   #12
TheSizzle36

TheSizzle36 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by 8ballrollin View Post
The Yorks suck. Nolan sucks. We need to get someone back from the Family Tree – someone who once worked for The Great Man.
I'd settle for Eddie DeBartalo. I thouroughly enjoying watching Fred Dean's induction ceremony and listening to Eddie D speak. I loved that guy, and I can see why players loved playing for him.

With him it was true, there was nothing finer, than to be a 49er.
TheSizzle36 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2008, 04:07 AM   #13
UtahDan

UtahDan is on a distinguished road

Quote:
The Yorks suck.
It just so happens that I root for a team owned by a man named Daniel Snyder. Consider the follow scene from Hitchcock's Stranger on a Train. Just think about it.

Guy: Let's change subject, Bruno, can't we?
Bruno
: Okay, Guy. Want me to tell you one of my ideas for murdering my father?
Guy
: [indicating the detective novels] You've been reading too many of these.
Bruno
: You want to hear about the busted light socket in the bathroom, or the carbon monoxide in the garage?
Guy
: No. I may be old fashioned, but I thought murder was against the law.
Bruno: But not against the law of nature. My theory is that everybody is a potential murderer. Didn't you ever want to kill somebody? Say one of those useless fellows Miriam was running around with?
Guy
: You can't go around killing people just because you think they're useless.
Bruno
: Oh, what's a life or two? Some people are better off dead, Guy. Take your -- wife and my father, for instance. It reminds me of a wonderful idea had once. I used to put myself to sleep at night -- figuring it out. Now, let's say you want to get rid of your wife.
Guy
: Why?
Bruno: Let's say she refuses to give you a divorce -- [raises a finger and stops Guy's protest] Let's say. You'd be afraid to kill her because you'd get caught. And what would trip you up? Motive. Now here's the plan...
Guy
: I'm afraid I haven't time to listen.
Bruno
: It's so simple, too. A couple of fellows meet accidentally, like you and me. No connection between them at all. Never saw each other before. Each of them has somebody he'd like to get rid of, but he can't murder the person he wants to get rid of. He'll get caught. So they swap murders.
Guy
: Swap murders?
Bruno: Each fellow does the other fellow's murder. Then there is nothing to connect them. The one who had the motive isn't there. Each fellow murders a total stranger. Like you do my murder and I do yours.
Guy
: We're coming into my station.
Bruno
: For example, your wife, my father. Criss-cross.
Old 08-22-2008, 09:17 PM   #14
8ballrollin

Last night sealed it. AS will not be the Niners starter W1. He will be the most expensive clipboard holder in the NFL this year.

If Nolan returns, AS will not be back with the club next year. He'll move to journeyman status with TB or SD - in a backup role.

The one thing AS has going in his favor (besides $30MM in the bank) is he's still young (24) and can still grow into a serviceable, but not great, QB.
Old 08-22-2008, 10:47 PM   #15
UtahDan

UtahDan is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Last night sealed it. AS will not be the Niners starter W1. He will be the most expensive clipboard holder in the NFL this year.

If Nolan returns, AS will not be back with the club next year. He'll move to journeyman status with TB or SD - in a backup role.

The one thing AS has going in his favor (besides $30MM in the bank) is he's still young (24) and can still grow into a serviceable, but not great, QB.
Agree with all of that.
Old 08-23-2008, 12:30 AM   #16
DrumNFeather
Active LDS Ute Fan

DrumNFeather is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:

Yep. He needs to go to a team where he can learn from a quality veteran like Seattle or even St. Louis.

Unless O'Sullivan gets hurt, he's taken his last snap as a 49er.
DrumNFeather is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2008, 04:02 PM   #17
smokymountainrain

smokymountainrain is on a distinguished road

It's always fun to read ute excuses such as "Smith hasn't done himself any favors, but he doesn't play D, block for himself or catch passes for himself, etc..." and then watch a journeyman like JT O'Sullivan go out and complete 7-8 passes for 150 yards in the same game Smith complets 6-17 for 83 yards.

Combined, the other two QBs were 13-15 passing while Smith was 6-17. Those two QBs must be great blockers and pass catchers.
smokymountainrain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2008, 04:33 PM   #18
8ballrollin

Quote:
Originally Posted by smokymountainrain View Post
It's always fun to read ute excuses such as "Smith hasn't done himself any favors, but he doesn't play D, block for himself or catch passes for himself, etc..." and then watch a journeyman like JT O'Sullivan go out and complete 7-8 passes for 150 yards in the same game Smith complets 6-17 for 83 yards.

Combined, the other two QBs were 13-15 passing while Smith was 6-17. Those two QBs must be great blockers and pass catchers.
JTO is a better QB in Martz' system at this point, no question. And he played great on Thursday. But Smith is a better QB than Hill - he even had a higher rating on Thursday, despite the stats you site.

Smith isn't starting because of Smith and for no other reason. On Thursday he finally stopped locking his front knee – which was causing his ball to sail high. But he still does a poor job at leading his receivers and invariably throws behind them.

I haven't seen any AS supporters make the excuses you reference this preseason, but if you're saying those are excuses from previous years, I agree with some of them.
Old 08-24-2008, 06:04 AM   #19
Mars

Mars is on a distinguished road
Cool

San Fran should pick up Beck so they'll have a 2nd string QB.
Old 08-24-2008, 07:47 AM   #20
8ballrollin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mars View Post

San Fran should pick up Beck so they'll have a 2nd string QB.
Yes, I'm sure they'll do that next week.