cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board  

Go Back   cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board > SPORTS! > Football
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12-06-2007, 06:24 AM   #11
il Padrino Ute
Board Pinhead

il Padrino Ute is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnnyLingo View Post
Fair enough. Like I said, I know little to nothing about the kid.

Hope he sucks at Utah.
That made me chuckle. Well done.

KW is a very good recruiter, but to be honest, it didn't hurt KW at all that Shakerin and Bo Nagahi are cousins.

That said, landing Kruger and apparently Shak along with Tuimauga is very solid work by KW and the other coaches.

"This is now the joke that stupid people laugh at." - Christopher Hitchens on IQ jokes about GWB.
il Padrino Ute is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2007, 07:01 AM   #12
Detroitdad
Resident Jackass

Detroitdad is an unknown quantity at this point

Another good get for the Yewts. I guess we'll have to see if they start coming our way after we beat them three years in a row. Congrats to the Utes.
Detroitdad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2007, 02:10 PM   #13
BYU71

BYU71 is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by il Padrino Ute View Post
The competition for playing time at BYU was never an issue. Shakirin was never going to BYU. It was only wishful thinking by the zoobs who thought he would ever consider going there.

Wishful thinking by some zoobs, unless zoob is a subset of BYU fans. We were recruiting him, we wanted him and the Utes got him. Kudo's to the Utes. It honestly doesn't bother me a bit. I personally doubt he would have seen the field at LES much as a running back. That isn't sower grapes and just my opinion. If he turns out awesome, then I will wish he had gone to BYU.
BYU71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2007, 02:23 PM   #14
RockyBalboa

RockyBalboa is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via MSN to RockyBalboa

Quote:
Originally Posted by il Padrino Ute View Post
That made me chuckle. Well done.

KW is a very good recruiter, but to be honest, it didn't hurt KW at all that Shakerin and Bo Nagahi are cousins.

That said, landing Kruger and apparently Shak along with Tuimauga is very solid work by KW and the other coaches.
and Sealver Siliaga.

I'd like to have Kruger, Shak and Siliaga. I think all 3 have very bright D-I careers ahead of them.

Tuimauga won't do anything at the next level. Kid can barely run, weighs in excess of 365+ pounds and is like the super mega fat O-lineman that BYU used to recruit, hoping they'd pan out and then they wouldn't.
Old 12-06-2007, 02:38 PM   #15
myboynoah

myboynoah is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by BYU71 View Post
Wishful thinking by some zoobs, unless zoob is a subset of BYU fans. We were recruiting him, we wanted him and the Utes got him. Kudo's to the Utes. It honestly doesn't bother me a bit. I personally doubt he would have seen the field at LES much as a running back. That isn't sower grapes and just my opinion. If he turns out awesome, then I will wish he had gone to BYU.
Is it sour grapes to point out these issues:

- the BYU RB situation appears fairly well set for the next 3-4 years
- Shakerin is not LDS
- Shakerin is by all accounts a Ute fan and has ties to the program
- the Ute program is solid

He seemed like he was Utah's to lose, and I wonder if the greater competition didn't/won't come from out of state. Good job by KWhit and staff to bring him in, especially given that he got a lot of out-of-state attention. BYU had to go after him by virtue of him being local.

I'm not surprised at all.

Religion rises inevitably from our apprehension of our own death. To give meaning to meaninglessness is the endless quest of all religion. When death becomes the center of our consciousness, then religion authentically begins. Of all religions that I know, the one that most vehemently and persuasively defies and denies the reality of death is the original Mormonism of the Prophet, Seer and Revelator, Joseph Smith.
myboynoah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2007, 02:57 PM   #16
BYU71

BYU71 is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by myboynoah View Post
Is it sour grapes to point out these issues:

- the BYU RB situation appears fairly well set for the next 3-4 years
- Shakerin is not LDS
- Shakerin is by all accounts a Ute fan and has ties to the program
- the Ute program is solid

He seemed like he was Utah's to lose, and I wonder if the greater competition didn't/won't come from out of state. Good job by KWhit and staff to bring him in, especially given that he got a lot of out-of-state attention. BYU had to go after him by virtue of him being local.

I'm not surprised at all.
I don't think it is sour grapes at all. Sour grapes comes from those who say, we didn't want him anyway. He wouldn't have fit in at BYU. He probably couldn't have qualified. Bronco stopped recruiting him and that is why he went to Utah.

Utah is going to win some recruiting battles. It isn't the end of the world when they do.
BYU71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2007, 03:03 PM   #17
Hot Lunch

Hot Lunch is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by RockyBalboa View Post
and Sealver Siliaga.

I'd like to have Kruger, Shak and Siliaga. I think all 3 have very bright D-I careers ahead of them.

Tuimauga won't do anything at the next level. Kid can barely run, weighs in excess of 365+ pounds and is like the super mega fat O-lineman that BYU used to recruit, hoping they'd pan out and then they wouldn't.
Rocky a really good friend of mine has a son that played next to Siliaga out at Copper Hills, he has told me a number of times that he will be amazed if Siliaga qualifies.
Hot Lunch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2007, 03:05 PM   #18
RockyBalboa

RockyBalboa is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via MSN to RockyBalboa

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hot Lunch View Post
Rocky a really good friend of mine has a son that played next to Siliaga out at Copper Hills, he has told me a number of times that he will be amazed if Siliaga qualifies.
I've heard that as well.

I didn't mention it because Yewt "fans" start freaking out when that line is addressed. His buddy and teammate Kendric Moeai....a 6'4 WR that also verballed to utah is struggling academically as well.

BYU has a verbal from a RB near Oakland,,,Seta Pouhaha that is also a long shot to qualify academically.

Last edited by RockyBalboa; 12-06-2007 at 03:09 PM.
RockyBalboa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2007, 03:30 PM   #19
Goatnapper'96
Recruiting Coordinator/Bosom Inspector

Goatnapper'96 is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by BYU71 View Post
I don't think it is sour grapes at all. Sour grapes comes from those who say, we didn't want him anyway. He wouldn't have fit in at BYU. He probably couldn't have qualified. Bronco stopped recruiting him and that is why he went to Utah.

Utah is going to win some recruiting battles. It isn't the end of the world when they do.
Shakerin is a nonLDS Utahn. I don't think any kid is a must get, but IMO Utah must get about 60% of the Sausaun Shakerins that come through Utah. I never really felt that BYU had any shot with him and if he would have committed to BYU it would have been more of an indictment on the status of Utah's program than the fact that BYU had a far superior year in Bronco's first rebuilding year at BYU than Kyle's best year at Utah. But I only say more because it is the February Championship that means something to me...these November and December ones are getting very old and making this conference look like BYU as an 800 lb gorilla and the rest of the foes as a small group of monkeys.

I also find it funny that some call it rationalizing to think the fact that BYU has a superior runningback to anything on Utah's roster and that Harvey is a freshman might have had any influence on the Shaks decision.

Regardless what we really learn is there is still much to do. While BYU emasculated Utenation this past year, Kyle is not going down without a fight. I will not be satisfied in Zoob dominance until even the Devil worshippers who are good football players are knocking on Saint Mendenhall's door begging to be BYU Cougars.

So buck up folks, pick up your bootstraps and get to work!
Old 12-06-2007, 03:30 PM   #20
DrumNFeather
Active LDS Ute Fan

DrumNFeather is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by RockyBalboa View Post
I've heard that as well.

I didn't mention it because Yewt "fans" start freaking out when that line is addressed. His buddy and teammate Kendric Moeai....a 6'4 WR that also verballed to utah is struggling academically as well.

BYU has a verbal from a RB near Oakland,,,Seta Pouhaha that is also a long shot to qualify academically.
This seems to be one of the calculated risks that Utah takes in terms of recruiting...which is great if it works out, but sucks when it doesn't.

As I understand it, Boo Williams is in the same boat as far as qualifying academically.