cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board  

Go Back   cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board > non-Sports > Current Events
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01-26-2009, 07:05 PM   #1
MikeWaters
Demiurge

MikeWaters is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Is a nuclear Iran in the USA's interest?

At first blush, the answer is "hell no."

But if you look at it more closely, I think the question becomes more complex.

Was it ever in the USA's interest for Israel to be nuclear?

Does Iran going nuclear force a new kind of diplomacy and thinking about the use of force in the Middle East? Certainly it would.

Would war between Israel and Iran be increasingly unthinkable? Yes it would. Does that engender a conversation that might lead to a more sustainable peace?

While it might be disastrous, I'm not sure all roads here lead to disaster. And certainly war RIGHT NOW with Iran WOULD be disaster. Hence even Bush denied Israel permission to launch an attack against Iran.

What I've said here is not ever anything a US politician could admit to, because of the power of Israel's lobby. But certainly, at the highest levels, I am sure there are people analyzing this.
MikeWaters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2009, 07:26 PM   #2
tooblue

tooblue is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeWaters View Post

Does Iran going nuclear force a new kind of diplomacy and thinking about the use of force in the Middle East? Certainly it would.

Would war between Israel and Iran be increasingly unthinkable? Yes it would. Does that engender a conversation that might lead to a more sustainable peace?

While it might be disastrous, I'm not sure all roads here lead to disaster. And certainly war RIGHT NOW with Iran WOULD be disaster. Hence even Bush denied Israel permission to launch an attack against Iran.

What I've said here is not ever anything a US politician could admit to, because of the power of Israel's lobby. But certainly, at the highest levels, I am sure there are people analyzing this.
Is a nuclear Iran any better or worse than a nuclear Pakistan? There seems to be as many radical Muslims in Pakistan as in Iran, although Pakistan as a state certainly isn't as radical as Iran is as a state. It is a complex question. Ultimately, I do not believe it is in the US or the Middle East's best interest for Iran to have nuclear weapons. In fact I do not believe it is in the worlds best interested for a state that openly espouses the destruction of one nation from off the face of the earth and religious subjugation of ALL human kind to have nuclear weapons.

Last edited by tooblue; 01-26-2009 at 07:42 PM.
tooblue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2009, 07:39 PM   #3
tooblue

tooblue is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeWaters View Post

If you are looking for a deterrent -- a new avenue for peace -- why not equip Egypt with nuclear weapons as opposed to Iran?

Last edited by tooblue; 01-26-2009 at 07:42 PM.
tooblue is offline   Reply With Quote