cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board  

Go Back   cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board > non-Sports > Religion
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-08-2008, 06:23 PM   #41
MikeWaters
Demiurge

MikeWaters is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeattleUte View Post
Waters, why can't you accept that the LDS Church hurts a lot of people? Actually, I think you know that. Brodie reacted to Mormonism much like Solzhenytsyn reacted to the Soviet Union. Did people discount the credibility of historical aspects of his work because he was a refugee from the big red machine? Brodie was the same.
Brodie was as much the product of her upbringing as Juanita Brooks was.

For Brodie, that complex world of spiritual manifestations did not exist (same as you). No doubt, heavily influenced by her unbelieving mother. For Brooks, belief in manifestations, in blessings, and the like were very much real.

Brodie forms the expression of her mother.

I wonder if it is accurate to say that Brodie punished every single person she encountered. She must have really, really hated her father.
MikeWaters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2008, 06:51 PM   #42
SeattleUte

SeattleUte has a little shameless behaviour in the past

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeWaters View Post
Brodie was as much the product of her upbringing as Juanita Brooks was.

For Brodie, that complex world of spiritual manifestations did not exist (same as you). No doubt, heavily influenced by her unbelieving mother. For Brooks, belief in manifestations, in blessings, and the like were very much real.

Brodie forms the expression of her mother.

I wonder if it is accurate to say that Brodie punished every single person she encountered. She must have really, really hated her father.
That may be what it generally boils down to in the end. But you are a very judgmental person. Scary. Kindly keep to yourself any psychoanalysis of me, including subtexts.

—Paul Auster
SeattleUte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2008, 06:58 PM   #43
MikeWaters
Demiurge

Quote:
That may be what it generally boils down to in the end. But you are a very judgmental person. Scary. Kindly keep to yourself any psychoanalysis of me, including subtexts.
It's funny the praises you heap on Brodie, who spent a lifetime delving into scandalously speculative psychoanalytic conclusions, and then the disdain for my sentence or two.

Very funny.
Old 09-11-2008, 04:58 PM   #44
SeattleUte

Quote:
She must have really, really hated her father.
I've thought more about this. She probably hated him because he couldn't take pleasure in his daughter's momentous artistic and intellectual achievement, instead obsessing over how it was an offront to him. It was all about him. Typical. He reaped what he sowed.

—Paul Auster
Old 09-11-2008, 07:06 PM   #45
MikeWaters
Demiurge

Quote:
I've thought more about this. She probably hated him because he couldn't take pleasure in his daughter's momentous artistic and intellectual achievement, instead obsessing over how it was an offront to him. It was all about him. Typical. He reaped what he sowed.
The father's mistake was marrying his wife.
Old 09-11-2008, 07:08 PM   #46
SeattleUte

Quote:
The father's mistake was marrying his wife.
Bad for him, maybe. Good for humankind. It sounds like Brodie's smarts came from her mother.

—Paul Auster
Old 09-11-2008, 07:12 PM   #47
MikeWaters
Demiurge

Quote:
Bad for him, maybe. Good for humankind. It sounds like Brodie's smarts came from her mother.
As well as her happiness.

(Fawn's mother died of self-immolation during her 3rd suicide attempt).
Old 09-11-2008, 07:24 PM   #48
SeattleUte

Quote:
As well as her happiness.

(Fawn's mother died of self-immolation during her 3rd suicide attempt).
Sounds like she was clinically depressed, which, as you know better than I, can arise from a mixture of environmental and physiological factors. I wonder if her repressive, anti-intellectual and guilt mongering religious surroundings and self-absorbed husband had anything to do with it.

—Paul Auster
Old 09-11-2008, 07:44 PM   #49
MikeWaters
Demiurge

Quote:
Sounds like she was clinically depressed, which, as you know better than I, can arise from a mixture of environmental and physiological factors. I wonder if her repressive, anti-intellectual and guilt mongering religious surroundings and self-absorbed husband had anything to do with it.
When you kill yourself through self-immolation because of having served a mission, I will tip my hat to you.
Old 09-11-2008, 08:17 PM   #50
Archaea
Assistant to the Regional Manager

Archaea is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Gee did you know your aunt's friend who had some depressive disorder to jump to that conclusion or speculation?

Leae psychoanalysis to Freud please.