cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board  

Go Back   cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board > non-Sports > Politics
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01-09-2008, 07:39 PM   #1
MikeWaters
Demiurge

MikeWaters is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Romney's problem

He is trying to run as anti-establishment, but on an entirely establishment platform.

You can't be the cool guy and the nerd at the same time.

It's like he is saying "My vision is not unique, but gosh, my process is better. I'll get the work from the inbox to the outbox more efficiently than the other guys."

If you were the cigars in the backroom, picking a platform, it would almost entirely look like Romney's platform. And the voters know this.

To add to the irony, Romney wants to the good ol' boy. But what he didn't realize is that you can't be a good ol' boy and a Mormon at the same time. Tough lesson.
MikeWaters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2008, 07:44 PM   #2
tooblue

tooblue is an unknown quantity at this point

He's a Mormon.
tooblue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2008, 07:47 PM   #3
Archaea
Assistant to the Regional Manager

Archaea is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by tooblue View Post
He's a Mormon.
How many cool, practicing Mormons are there? Besides me that is.
Old 01-09-2008, 07:52 PM   #4
YOhio
AKA SeattleNewt

YOhio is an unknown quantity at this point

Mike's thoughts on Romney are about as useful as DJRoss's.
YOhio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2008, 07:53 PM   #5
MikeWaters
Demiurge

Quote:
Originally Posted by YOhio View Post
Mike's thoughts on Romney are about as useful as DJRoss's.
Portraying himself as the rebel outsider is foolhardy. He doesn't have a rebel bone in his body.
Old 01-09-2008, 07:56 PM   #6
myboynoah

myboynoah is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeWaters View Post
He is trying to run as anti-establishment, but on an entirely establishment platform.
Mike, you've been a real pain in the ass lately, but you are still very perceptive. I was talking with a political appointee out of Washington Monday. This person was probably stuffing envelopes for the Bush campaign, or making sure the flags were in the right place for events before moving into the halls of power.

Anyway, she noted that most politicos in government are pulling for Romney since Mitt is the Bushies' man. Naturally they want to stay on in government, or move up if possible.

Funny to hear Romney talk of change and being the best person for the difficult task of cleaning house in Washington when he is the candidate of the currently entrenched political appointees.

Even then, since he's a fellow tribe member, I'm pulling for Mitt to make a good showing. I think the same of you.

Religion rises inevitably from our apprehension of our own death. To give meaning to meaninglessness is the endless quest of all religion. When death becomes the center of our consciousness, then religion authentically begins. Of all religions that I know, the one that most vehemently and persuasively defies and denies the reality of death is the original Mormonism of the Prophet, Seer and Revelator, Joseph Smith.
myboynoah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2008, 08:01 PM   #7
MikeWaters
Demiurge

Quote:
Originally Posted by myboynoah View Post
Mike, you've been a real pain in the ass lately, but you are still very perceptive. I was talking with a political appointee out of Washington Monday. This person was probably stuffing envelopes for the Bush campaign, or making sure the flags were in the right place for events before moving into the halls of power.

Anyway, she noted that most politicos in government are pulling for Romney since Mitt is the Bushies' man. Naturally they want to stay on in government, or move up if possible.

Funny to hear Romney talk of change and being the best person for the difficult task of cleaning house in Washington when he is the candidate of the currently entrenched political appointees.

Even then, since he's a fellow tribe member, I'm pulling for Mitt to make a good showing. I think the same of you.
Perhaps YOhio prefers the analysis on CB, where tooblue would be a prophet.

They hate Mormons!

I just don't get it!

I don't understand!

It's the media's fault!

I'm good enough at this that I ought to get paid for it.
Old 01-09-2008, 08:03 PM   #8
Tex

Tex is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by myboynoah View Post

We can assume, then, that in your mind, no one can be an outsider to Washington and simultaneously share the same political values of those in power?

- Cali Coug

"Oh dear, granny, what a long tail our puss has got."

- Brigham Young
Tex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2008, 08:05 PM   #9
MikeWaters
Demiurge

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tex View Post
We can assume, then, that in your mind, no one can be an outsider to Washington and simultaneously share the same political values of those in power?
Mitt Romney: the retro candidate of 'no-change'.

Let's take it back to 1980!!!! Without all the Mexicans this time around!!!

When your vision statement is something akin to: "I am the Reagan candidate", you have serious problems motivating the electorate.
Old 01-09-2008, 08:06 PM   #10
YOhio
AKA SeattleNewt

YOhio is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeWaters View Post
I'm good enough at this that I ought to get paid for it.
Nice going myboynoah. You've empowered him.
YOhio is offline   Reply With Quote