cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board  

Go Back   cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board > non-Sports > Religion
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 11-07-2008, 01:02 AM   #15
TripletDaddy

TripletDaddy can only hope to improve

Quote:
Originally Posted by FMCoug View Post
I agree with you, but I think it points to issues within our culture bigger than just gays. The 40 year old divorcee feels pretty darn uncomfortable at church too (especially if they are childless). I realize it's not the same but you get my point ...
Not the same at all, but at the same time, culturally, almost exactly the same. I definitely get your point.

One time in PEC, Bishop said something that was really moving. We were going through the membership rolls and giving updates about people. One guy chimed in and said something to the effect of, "that person is not in our ward boundaries so let's forward that one to so and so in the Corona del Mar ward."

Bishop stopped the meeting, paused for a long time, and asked simply, "what are we doing here? why are we even here?"

He wasn't angry, but really moved by the Spirit to point out that within the Gospel, the letter of the law has a very great and important place. Yes, this person was not within our ward boundaries. But the Spirit of the law also has its place. The Bishop went on to lament the loss of several YSA that were in limbo because we do not do a great job of articulating their roles. We focus so much on the ideal (man/woman/temple marriage) that we often overlook the less than ideal (single parent/YSA/divorced). The only time they get a nod is when the Ensign article is saying, "hey, dont be sad, life aint so bad."

I have no answer for this, just agreeing with you. I really learned a lot from that Bishop. He was really big on asking tough rhetorical questions.....it has shaped a lot of my current views....I have a totally inactive FIL, my family is all non-LDS, my wife's mom is divorced and re-married.....all less than ideal circumstances. And all wonderful people.

"Everyone is against me. Everyone is fawning for 3D's attention and defending him." -- SeattleUte
TripletDaddy is offline   Reply With Quote