cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board  

Go Back   cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board > non-Sports > Religion
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-16-2007, 02:27 PM   #61
Archaea
Assistant to the Regional Manager

Archaea is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Indy Coug View Post
Arch, you have shown time and time again that if someone has the temerity to disagree with you, you fall back to the lazy tactic of extrapolating whatever position they've taken and grossly mischaracterizing both the stance and the person that took that stance.

It's both painfully transparent and intellectually insulting.

It's the "I'm on the side of angels approach" that you three mullahs employ that is venomous.

A mullah approach is to find an austere, inflexible quote by a leader declare it supports the mullah's approach. The psychology of the rhetoric is that the speaker is better than those who disagree with the argument on the side of angels. It's not a gross mischaracterization of the stance. What is transparent is your belief that mullahs are better than everybody else, when in fact, they're just people like the rest of us schmucks, slogging away. None of us are on the side of angels, we're all devils.
Old 05-16-2007, 02:31 PM   #62
Indy Coug

Indy Coug is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Archaea View Post
It's the "I'm on the side of angels approach" that you three mullahs employ that is venomous.

A mullah approach is to find an austere, inflexible quote by a leader declare it supports the mullah's approach. The psychology of the rhetoric is that the speaker is better than those who disagree with the argument on the side of angels. It's not a gross mischaracterization of the stance. What is transparent is your belief that mullahs are better than everybody else, when in fact, they're just people like the rest of us schmucks, slogging away. None of us are on the side of angels, we're all devils.
After what I just said, you calling me a "mullah" just reinforces my point.

After what I just said, you stating that "your belief that mullahs are better than everybody else" just reinforces my point.
Indy Coug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2008, 10:16 PM   #63
Tex

Tex is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Archaea View Post
Do you really believe SWK never attended a boring Sacrament Meeting, or was he just using it as an object lesson? I believe the latter.
As I was nodding off during Sunday School today, this discussion came to mind, and a thought occurred to me: if Sunday meetings are (supposedly) so vanilla as to bore you to tears, try thinking outside yourself. Undertake the personal assignment of making a meeting meaningful for someone else around you. Make your church attendance a service.

Not exactly a unique or brilliant observation, but one I hadn't considered before from the perspective of a congregation member.

- Cali Coug

"Oh dear, granny, what a long tail our puss has got."

- Brigham Young
Tex is offline   Reply With Quote