cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board  

Go Back   cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board > SPORTS! > Football
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-20-2006, 03:06 PM   #1
jay santos

jay santos is on a distinguished road
Default John and Jason Beck

People think I'm a John Beck basher, but I'm not. I believe he's one of the 20 best QB's in the nation. That's almost top 15 percentile. That's a very good college QB. I think he's about as good as Kevin Feterik, who I also thought was a pretty good college QB.

I think Beck was ridiculously overhyped from the beginning, I think his family member BYU-13 on CB is an obnoxious Beck fan that doesn't care about BYU, I think Beck's family has a very cozy relationship with some journalists and high profile internet posters that has created an environment where Beck for a long time has been overpraised and undercriticized. I think Beck benefited from a relationship with Crowton that was undeserved from the beginning--he had no business battling Berry for the starting job as a frosh off his mission. Beck represents the most awful period BYU has had since I was born. I don't think Beck is very accurate on the middle to long range ball--I think his pass completion stat is drastically padded by all the short balls he throws, and if you took them out you'd see his completion rate go down and show his accuracy problem. I haven't liked it a few times when Beck has slid on third down just short of the first down marker, most notably a key point in the game last year against Utah. It is very irritating to me that Beck is compared with the greats at BYU due to his total yardage stat, which is the ONLY stat he ranks anywhere close to the top 10 in among BYU QB's, and it's only due to his longevity and his coach's propensity to throw the ball 50 times a game.

OK, but that said, I still say Beck has developed into a very good college QB. Though his window is closing, I still think he'll lead us to a successful season and maybe make something happen in his remaining high profile games: TCU, Utah, and bowl game. If he does that, it's possible he could move ahead of Feterik on my list of BYU QB's and maybe match Walsh at #8. And you younger Cougar fans or cranky old timers should know that Feterik had some great games and had us ranked #15 in 1999, and Walsh had some freakish games and led us to a top 10 finish, road win over Notre Dame, and trouncing of Oklahoma in a bowl game (not to mention a near upset of top 10 Ohio State in bowl game).

So I have faith in John and wouldn't call for his backup and wouldn't hope his injury keeps him out of the lineup.

But I also have a lot of faith in Jason Beck. I was very impressed with Jason Beck in fall camp. In my opinion, the difference between John and Jason in fall camp was negligible. Jason has come a long ways. He doesn't have a great deep ball, but he's extremely accurate in the short and medium stuff, and is very good at scrambling and creating. We've seen awful backups like Beck in 2003, Peterson in 2000, Shoemaker/Miller in 1997. But we've also seen great backups like Hancock in 1992, Walsh in 1993, Doman in 2000, and Peterson in 2001. I fully expect JaBeck to be more like the latter group.

My prediction: watch for JaBeck to put up ungodly efficiency numbers (they probably won't be throwing too much since they'll get up early), and though it's unjustified, there will be a mini QB controversy. No matter what JaBeck does against USU, though, JoBeck has earned his right to run this team.
jay santos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2006, 03:26 PM   #2
jay santos

Case in point.

http://www.cougarboard.com/noframes/...tml?id=2116215

fyi, Harmon yesterday blamed Anae for Beck's poor play. This is what the Beck family is doing now. Harmon is the personal spokesperson for the Beck family ever since he started golfing with Wendell and hyping an unrecruited QB from AZ, giving us weekly updates of how Beck's mission was going.
Old 09-20-2006, 04:13 PM   #3
MikeWaters
Demiurge

MikeWaters is an unknown quantity at this point

i got a boardmail telling me that Wendell Beck and Dick Harmon are cousins.

Has Dick every mentioned this?

Dick is among the least impressive journalists I have ever read.
MikeWaters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2006, 04:28 PM   #4
jay santos

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeWaters
i got a boardmail telling me that Wendell Beck and Dick Harmon are cousins.

Has Dick every mentioned this?

Dick is among the least impressive journalists I have ever read.
Interesting. Kind of like hearing your spouse is cheating on you, and you knew it all along but didn't have evidence.
Old 09-25-2006, 01:41 AM   #5
jay santos

Quote:
Originally Posted by jay santos View Post
But I also have a lot of faith in Jason Beck. I was very impressed with Jason Beck in fall camp. In my opinion, the difference between John and Jason in fall camp was negligible. Jason has come a long ways. He doesn't have a great deep ball, but he's extremely accurate in the short and medium stuff, and is very good at scrambling and creating. We've seen awful backups like Beck in 2003, Peterson in 2000, Shoemaker/Miller in 1997. But we've also seen great backups like Hancock in 1992, Walsh in 1993, Doman in 2000, and Peterson in 2001. I fully expect JaBeck to be more like the latter group.

My prediction: watch for JaBeck to put up ungodly efficiency numbers (they probably won't be throwing too much since they'll get up early), and though it's unjustified, there will be a mini QB controversy. No matter what JaBeck does against USU, though, JoBeck has earned his right to run this team.
This wasn't too bad of a prediction either, eh?
Old 09-25-2006, 09:25 PM   #6
Indy Coug

Indy Coug is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by jay santos View Post
This wasn't too bad of a prediction either, eh?
Shooting fish in a barrel.
Indy Coug is offline   Reply With Quote