cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board  

Go Back   cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board > non-Sports > Politics
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-04-2008, 10:51 PM   #11
Tex

Tex is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cali Coug View Post
Unless this is a debate about whether life begins at conception, birth or some other phase, I am confused by your question.
"How can a man be born when he is old? can he enter the second time into his mother’s womb, and be born?"

Being black isn't just a race, Nicodemus. It's a "culture." It's a "community." This is why Harry Belafonte can accuse Colin Powell of actually being white.

- Cali Coug

"Oh dear, granny, what a long tail our puss has got."

- Brigham Young
Tex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2008, 10:54 PM   #12
woot

woot is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tex View Post
"How can a man be born when he is old? can he enter the second time into his mother’s womb, and be born?"

Being black isn't just a race, Nicodemus. It's a "culture." It's a "community." This is why Harry Belafonte can accuse Colin Powell of actually being white.
Actually, being black is neither a race nor a culture. If you'd like to comment about some aspect of culture commonly associated with blacks, then feel free to do so, but let's not confuse ourselves with obvious falsehoods.
woot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2008, 01:45 AM   #13
il Padrino Ute
Board Pinhead

il Padrino Ute is an unknown quantity at this point

Sheesh. Sarcasm rarely is recognized on a message board, but my post wasn't even on the radar.

Why are we as a country still so hypersensitive about one's race?

"This is now the joke that stupid people laugh at." - Christopher Hitchens on IQ jokes about GWB.
il Padrino Ute is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2008, 03:47 AM   #14
ChinoCoug

ChinoCoug is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by myboynoah View Post
I seem to recall Mike might have raised this, so if so, I apologize.

I was watching a show last week that reviewed Obama's life. He was born in Hawaii to a white mother and Kenyan father. When Obama was two the father split and played a limited role in Obama's life from that time. Obama's mom then marries a guy from Indonesia and they move there. From school photos it is apparent that Obama attended expat schools. He is one of few blacks among a sea of white and Asian faces. He then moves back to Hawaii where he attends the exclusive Punahou High School, being one of the few blacks in a fairly multi-ethnic environment.

In essence, he was raised by a white mother and grandparents and had limited exposure to black culture. Yet as an adult he identifies as black, punctuating that identification by attending an african-centric (some would say radically so) church, considering its chief pastor as a mentor.

I wonder why that is.
All part-black kids consider themselves black, regardless.
Old 03-05-2008, 04:13 AM   #15
JohnnyLingo

JohnnyLingo has a little shameless behaviour in the past

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tex View Post

Don't forget Michael Jordan and Tiger Woods.

And I'm pretty sure Bill Cosby has been accused of such, as well.
JohnnyLingo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2008, 04:19 AM   #16
SeattleUte

SeattleUte has a little shameless behaviour in the past

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChinoCoug View Post
I think society has done that all along. For one thing, all the injustices dealt to blacks by whites have been visited on part-blacks to the fullest extent.

—Paul Auster
SeattleUte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2008, 04:29 AM   #17
Archaea
Assistant to the Regional Manager

Archaea is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChinoCoug View Post
That's an interesting statement.

If it is true, then it's society that causes part black kids to think that way because why would children choose one parentage over another?
Old 03-05-2008, 04:32 AM   #18
woot

woot is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Archaea View Post

If it is true, then it's society that causes part black kids to think that way because why would children choose one parentage over another?
Because part-black kids have black skin. This isn't rocket science.
woot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2008, 05:27 AM   #19
Detroitdad
Resident Jackass

Detroitdad is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Archaea View Post

Society looks at a child with black blood and says black. You are what other people say you are as much as what you think you are. You get treated as though you are black even if you know very little of what black culture is about. Certainly I think it could be argued that some of this stems from the old "one drop" blood laws of the old days.

For instance, I am a mormon, therefore I am a bike riding white shirt wearing missionary who hates gay people and engages in polygamy in the eyes of most of the people I meet. Even close friends and relatives still assume this. Society wants us to fit into neat little boxes and it attempts to force us into these constructs. I can escape that Mormon construct because you can not tell someone is a Mormon by looking at them.
Detroitdad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2008, 02:19 PM   #20
myboynoah

myboynoah is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Detroitdad View Post
For instance, I am a mormon, therefore I am a bike riding white shirt wearing missionary who hates gay people and engages in polygamy in the eyes of most of the people I meet. Even close friends and relatives still assume this. Society wants us to fit into neat little boxes and it attempts to force us into these constructs.
So what keeps you from hating gay people and becoming a polygamist?

Obama had about as multi-ethnic an upbringing as possible. He was raised by his white mother and grandparents. He doesn't carry the heritage of American blacks. Yet when he becomes an adult he chooses a religious belief system that is so Afro-centric that it could be construed as bigoted. His self-professed spiritual mentor is controversial when it comes to race relations. His tortured denial/disavowal/rejection of Farrakhan's support during the debate was odd. It seems that he's gone the extra mile in embracing his African-American-ness.

This isn't a value judgement, I'm just curious if anyone has any insights. Does he explore this in his book? Surely some of the Obamaniacs here could shed some light.

Religion rises inevitably from our apprehension of our own death. To give meaning to meaninglessness is the endless quest of all religion. When death becomes the center of our consciousness, then religion authentically begins. Of all religions that I know, the one that most vehemently and persuasively defies and denies the reality of death is the original Mormonism of the Prophet, Seer and Revelator, Joseph Smith.
myboynoah is offline   Reply With Quote