cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board  

Go Back   cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board > non-Sports > Art/Movies/Media/Music/Books
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-05-2008, 07:17 PM   #1
UteStar

UteStar is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Why are the three best shows on tv all...

The 3 best shows on tv are all on cable channels. Yes, you could make an argument for 'Lost' but Dexter, Weeds and Battlestar Galactica are as good as it gets. Cable takes chances where network stations shy away from it for the most part--probably with good reason as the american public struggles to embrace anything good and fall back on the crappy Jim Belushi type crap.

Goatnapper: "UteStar is the only one who is not scum."
UteStar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2008, 07:41 PM   #2
cougjunkie

cougjunkie is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by UteStar View Post
The 3 best shows on tv are all on cable channels. Yes, you could make an argument for 'Lost' but Dexter, Weeds and Battlestar Galactica are as good as it gets. Cable takes chances where network stations shy away from it for the most part--probably with good reason as the american public struggles to embrace anything good and fall back on the crappy Jim Belushi type crap.
I prefer Entourage, the L Word, and Flight of the Conchords. But point taken.
Old 06-05-2008, 08:07 PM   #3
YOhio
AKA SeattleNewt

YOhio is an unknown quantity at this point

I prefer Tell Me You Love Me, The L Word and Californication. But point well taken.
YOhio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2008, 08:46 PM   #4
Archaea
Assistant to the Regional Manager

Archaea is an unknown quantity at this point

I can't name three shows I watch routinely. In fact, I know I don't. My body is present while my kids or wife watch some meaningless show, but usually I'm zoning at that time.

I can't even name one, unless BYU football counts as one.
Old 06-05-2008, 08:57 PM   #5
MikeWaters
Demiurge

MikeWaters is an unknown quantity at this point

Lost is tops.
MikeWaters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2008, 09:09 PM   #6
TheSizzle36

TheSizzle36 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by UteStar View Post
A lot of it has to do with the niche programming that cable allows for that the network stations don't. It isn't like the networks are stupid, they are interested in putting shows out on the market that will draw the most viewers. So while the quality of programming may not be as 'risky' or 'cutting edge' they will try and put programs out there that will appeal to the broadest population segment that they can. Because Cable stations are more geared towards specific demographic segments, they are able to 'push the envelope' a bit more if you will with what they show.

I'm not overly familiar with Weeds or Dexter (having never seen an episode) but a quick look at their plots they seem to deal with material that while it probably makes for entertaining material it isn't material that is generally accepted across the general population (having the main characters be a serial killer and a drug dealer probably would cause some pushback from the general population... "Won't somebody PLEASE think of the Children?!?").

Battlestar Galactica is one that would probably work nationally, however it does have a pretty good spot on the SciFi Network.

Also, the format distribution of media has changed over the last 10-15 years. If you wanted to watch new releases, you went to a Blockbuster or subscribed to an HBO or Showtime to rent the VHS. Now, you can download the content via the computer, xBox or cable box, or pick up a DVD for $1 from RedBox. Channels like Showtime and HBO have been forced to pump more money into developing original content to keep their subscriber numbers up.

This isn't always the case (Lost, for example, does a good job of reaching across demographic segments without content that may 'offend' the masses), but it is a pretty good rule of thumb.

Puff Daddy summed it up best when he said "It's all about the Benjamin's baby!"
TheSizzle36 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2008, 11:56 PM   #7
Runner Coug

Runner Coug is an unknown quantity at this point

Sadly, because my wife watches it every morning, I know more about The Young and the Restless than I do any other show on TV. I can't think of even one that I watch consistently.
Runner Coug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2008, 11:57 PM   #8
UteStar

UteStar is an unknown quantity at this point

Sizzle--you are correct in your observations. And fwiw, there have been some very good shows on regular television over the past couple of years--Arrested Development, Veronica Mars, Lost, etc. but it is too bad that the american public is stuck in their crappy sitcom mode as well as liking so many formulaic type shows. It is hard to blame the networks when they are just giving 'us' what 'we' want.

Also fwiw, I would include Entourage and Flight of the Conchords in with the others as being some good programming.

Goatnapper: "UteStar is the only one who is not scum."
UteStar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2008, 04:30 PM   #9
Spaz

Spaz is on a distinguished road

The only shows I really watch now are Battlestar and 'Monk' & 'Psych' on USA.

I did enjoy that show "Chuck", but mostly for the eye-candy.

My wife gets into shows and occasionally pulls me in, but outside of Battlestar, I don't think there's a show on that I consider "must-see TV". I'd be perfectly happy skipping the others when the mood doesn't strike me.

"It doesn't mean that if we lose a game or when we lose a game people won't then jump on and say the quest is over. Because they will. But they've missed the point." -Bronco Mendenhall on "The Quest"
Spaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2008, 05:29 PM   #10
NorCal Cat

NorCal Cat

The Shield. Sadly this Fall is the last season.
NorCal Cat is offline   Reply With Quote