cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board  

Go Back   cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board > non-Sports > Politics
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-29-2012, 05:34 PM   #241
Tex

Tex is on a distinguished road

This is what stupid looks like. Robert Gibbs on Face the Nation:

Quote:
... what Bain Capital never did was focus on job creation. That's not what Bain Capital does. It loads up companies with debt. It takes money out of those companies and pays those investors.
I don't mean that Gibbs is stupid--likely he's quite smart--but that he thinks the American electorate is stupid to buy this line.

No business sets out to create jobs. All businesses set out to make profit. They may have some little mission statement about helping kids, or saving whales, or whatever social good they want to do, but it is always about the bottom line in the end.

And no investment firm survives, much less prospers, by buying companies, loading them with debt, and then "taking out" the profit. This is so stupid it's amazing anyone says it with a straight face.

If Obama continues with this line throughout the election, he's punching Romney's ticket. The majority of voters are not this dumb.

- Cali Coug

"Oh dear, granny, what a long tail our puss has got."

- Brigham Young
Tex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2012, 07:07 PM   #242
MikeWaters
Demiurge

MikeWaters is an unknown quantity at this point

the stupid ones are voting for Obama anyway.
MikeWaters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2012, 07:51 PM   #243
ute4ever
I must not tell lies

ute4ever is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeWaters View Post
the stupid ones are voting for either Obama or Romney anyway. They actually think the two parties are quite different, and that switching the executive office from one to the other will somehow make a quantifiable difference.
Well said.
ute4ever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2012, 01:27 AM   #244
Tex

Quote:
Originally Posted by ute4ever View Post
Well said.
Who are the smart ones voting for?

- Cali Coug

- Brigham Young
Old 05-30-2012, 04:04 PM   #245
Tex

The irony of Wisconsin is that after all the effort to recall senators, defeat Prosser, and recall Walker, which have either all failed or are expected to fail, the Democrats may have done Republicans a huge favor.

RNC Chairman Reince Priebus:

Quote:
"I don’t think there’s a state in the country where the GOP knows the voters better than Wisconsin… We’ve been analyzing this state for two and a half years. Contacting two and a half million voters, having all of that consumer data, the Prosser election, the state legislative recall challenges… You have a pattern here of success that is going to make it easier to win here in November.

“We’re not seeing any fatigue on our side at all. One of the biggest problems that the Democrats decent number of Democrats who tell pollsters and in focus groups, ‘we may not be Republicans, but we think this recall stuff is out of control. A legislative disagreement with Walker is not enough to have recall and spend millions of dollars on that.’ To many Democrats, this is absurd. That’s a problem in their turnout model that they don’t know what to do with.”
Bush lost Wisconsin in 2004 by 0.4%. The idea that Romney might potentially win it is nothing short of sheer awesomeness.

- Cali Coug

- Brigham Young
Old 05-30-2012, 07:12 PM   #246
ute4ever
I must not tell lies

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tex View Post
Who are the smart ones voting for?
Allow me to answer your question with a parable. Suppose all of the factions in the Nation of Islam agreed upon a President to govern their way of life, and is given the honorable title of "The Caliph." Then suppose there followed a worldwide election for one primary religious leader over the entire planet, a sort of Religious Head of State. Would you choose between "the only two that matter:" the Pope or the Caliph, or would you throw your vote away on Thomas S. Monson?
Old 05-30-2012, 08:45 PM   #247
Archaea
Assistant to the Regional Manager

Archaea is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Allow me to answer your question with a parable. Suppose all of the factions in the Nation of Islam agreed upon a President to govern their way of life, and is given the honorable title of "The Caliph." Then suppose there followed a worldwide election for one primary religious leader over the entire planet, a sort of Religious Head of State. Would you choose between "the only two that matter:" the Pope or the Caliph, or would you throw your vote away on Thomas S. Monson?
I would vote for the Pope.
Old 05-31-2012, 03:08 PM   #248
Tex

Quote:
Originally Posted by Archaea View Post
I would vote for the Pope.
I'm just curious which candidate is the Pope and which is the Caliph.

- Cali Coug

- Brigham Young
Old 05-31-2012, 05:01 PM   #249
ute4ever
I must not tell lies

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tex View Post
I'm just curious which candidate is the Pope and which is the Caliph.
I figured it would go over your head.

From President Uchtdorf:
Quote:
Perhaps there is no better laboratory to observe the sin of pride than the world of sports. I have always loved participating in and attending sporting events. But I confess there are times when the lack of civility in sports is embarrassing. How is it that normally kind and compassionate human beings can be so intolerant and filled with hatred toward an opposing team and its fans?

I have watched sports fans vilify and demonize their rivals. They look for any flaw and magnify it. They justify their hatred with broad generalizations and apply them to everyone associated with the other team. When ill fortune afflicts their rival, they rejoice.
If he had used political parties in his example instead of sporting rivals, I wonder if it would have made a lick of difference.
Both parties have their strong points and their weak points. Both have made great decisions and poor decisions. Sadly for you though, is that all of the jarring that you engaged with CaliCoug in 2008, only to have your party lose the election, seems to have cut you deep.

Last edited by ute4ever; 05-31-2012 at 05:05 PM.
Old 05-31-2012, 06:15 PM   #250
Tex

Quote:
I figured it would go over your head.
Well, you didn't actually answer the question.

- Cali Coug

- Brigham Young