cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board  

Go Back   cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board > non-Sports > Chit Chat
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-13-2006, 09:56 PM   #11
cougjunkie

cougjunkie is an unknown quantity at this point

I have laid down a bike twice in my life, once I was wearing shorts and laid it down in loose gravel, I slid about 20 feet.

Needless to say the hospital visit with the brush to clean my leg was not fun. They also pulled a 1 inch by 1 inch rock from just below my knee that was so in so deep they had to cut a pretty big whole in my leg to get it out.
Old 06-13-2006, 11:06 PM   #12
SteelBlue

SteelBlue is an unknown quantity at this point

I'm an occupational therapist. I recently worked with a patient in his early 50's who has been riding since he was 16. He was in a group of 10 riders and was hit by a lady who came across the yellow line around a corner. It was his first accident on his bike ever. They brought him in with the worst Tib/Fib fracture I've ever seen and with his foot hanging on by skin. His forefoot came in a plastic bag. Needless to say he lost the leg. I've seen too many of these guys. I know I'm seeing a skewed sample but I don't care.
SteelBlue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2006, 12:22 AM   #13
Zulu451
house-elf 3rd class

Zulu451 is on a distinguished road

If motorcycle accidents just killed people that would not be the problem. Hey, you are dead and no longer a burden to your family, friends or society in general. It is the guys who survive their accidents, and are taking the short bus to school and work for the rest of their lives. They are the ones who sit around drooling all over themselves while their wife wipes their butt for them and they get blendered cheeseburgers pushed through their gastric feeding tubes for the next 25 years while they wait for the impending painful death from a pneumonia. YOU WISHED YOU WERE DEAD!

If someone wants to ride a motorcycle, you should pay more than me for health and life insurance. Same as the two fat chicks on my avatar. You have increased risk, you should shoulder that increased risk.

Last edited by Zulu451; 06-14-2006 at 12:31 AM.
Zulu451 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2006, 12:24 AM   #14
creekster

creekster is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zulu451
Robin -

If motorcycle accidents just killed people that would not be the problem. Hey, you are dead and no longer a burden to your family, friends or society in general. It is the guys who survive their accidents, and are taking the short bus to school and work for the rest of their lives. They are the ones who sit around drooling all over themselves while their wife wipes their butt for them and they get blendered cheeseburgers pushed through their gastric feeding tubes for the next 25 years while they wait for the impending painful death from a pneumonia. YOU WISHED YOU WERE DEAD!

If someone wants to ride a motorcycle, you should pay more than me for health and life insurance. Same as the two fat chicks on my avatar. You have increased risk, you should shoulder that increased risk.
Be easy on Robin on this topic; he seems to be coming to a realiztion of the risk simply through posting to himself.
Old 06-14-2006, 12:31 AM   #15
Zulu451
house-elf 3rd class

Zulu451 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteelBlue
I'm an occupational therapist. I recently worked with a patient in his early 50's who has been riding since he was 16. He was in a group of 10 riders and was hit by a lady who came across the yellow line around a corner. It was his first accident on his bike ever. They brought him in with the worst Tib/Fib fracture I've ever seen and with his foot hanging on by skin. His forefoot came in a plastic bag. Needless to say he lost the leg. I've seen too many of these guys. I know I'm seeing a skewed sample but I don't care.
I take trauma call at a level I trauma center and as one can see in my posts see a very skewed sample of our population. The only thing that gets me more fired up are drunk drivers, people who pick up rattlesnakes, and hillbillies who get their peckers shot off while poaching deer!
Zulu451 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2006, 12:38 AM   #16
Archaea
Assistant to the Regional Manager

Archaea is an unknown quantity at this point

People pick up rattlesnakes, while the snake lives? What on God's earth for?

If a snake leaves me alone, I"m happy to leave it alone.
Old 06-14-2006, 12:40 AM   #17
il Padrino Ute
Board Pinhead

il Padrino Ute is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
IMO: If you want to ride a motorcycle, you must have a signed organ donor card, and health insurance. You can be the best rider, but you are subject to the whims of the SUV driving soccer moms who will run you down like a dog in the road. I have seen marvelously injured people from motorcycle accidents, and it is never the driver of the SUV that gets it bad.
I can agree with the increased insurance costs for riding a motorcycle, but why do you feel that one must have an organ donor card?

"This is now the joke that stupid people laugh at." - Christopher Hitchens on IQ jokes about GWB.
il Padrino Ute is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2006, 01:13 AM   #18
Robin

Robin is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:

And yet insurance for motorcycles is actually less than for other vehicles, since the motorcyclist presents less threat to others around him. Maybe the motorcyclist assumes greater personal risk to life and limb, but the SUV driver represents a greater threat to those around her, and contributes to pollution levels that cause increased risk of asthma.

If EVERYONE rode motorcycles, and if leather and helmets were required by all, and if trucks were confined to one slow lane of traffic, you would see a lot of broken limbs and road rash and a lot less death. Why should the motorcyclist assume the extra liability? It is the other cars that present the risk to the motorcyclists, and not the other way around. Motorcyclists live in a dangerous world, as Mike pointed out, where accidents are usually caused by others. Drivers need to learn how to look out for motorcyclists. A lot of drivers claim they don't see motorcyclists, but the truth is they simply usually aren't looking for them.

I am well aware that motorcyclists assume risks, because when you get run over by a fool in an SUV who is on a cel phone and not paying attention to the road, and then cuts into the HOV lane and knocks you off your bike before running over your leg, 'fault' will be a moot point. But passing on the liability of a road full of those idiots in SUVs to the motorcyclists is like telling a rape victim that she was responsible for the rape because her jeans were too tight.

Last edited by Robin; 06-14-2006 at 01:29 AM.
Robin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2006, 01:16 AM   #19
creekster

creekster is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
The only thing that gets me more fired up are . . . hillbillies who get their peckers shot off while poaching deer!
Or at least they CLAIM that's what they were doing.
Old 06-14-2006, 01:18 AM   #20
Colly Wolly

Colly Wolly is an unknown quantity at this point

Its really a damn shame. I wonder if athletes would balk at the pro leagues implementing a blanket no-motorcycle policy. I think baseball already does.

If you hurt yourself riding a motorcycle, the team you signed with should not be obligated to fulfill its contractual duties to you as you are unable to perform your duties on the field.

If you are a pro-athlete and still choose to ride under this policy, you better get AFLAC.
Colly Wolly is offline   Reply With Quote