cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board  

Go Back   cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board > SPORTS! > Professional Sports
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-11-2006, 04:22 PM   #11
Archaea
Assistant to the Regional Manager

Archaea is an unknown quantity at this point

How does saying a sport sucks make it so?

Each sport or game has some entertainment value.

Sports include track, swimming, football, basketball, soccer, cycling, skiing and tennis.

Games include golf, bowling, baseball, and the like.

Soccer has its frustrating parts.

Baseball is very slow, very monotonous and lacks endurance or any elements of typical sport, so I call it a game. Some people like the defensive manipulations and the baseball field. If I can sit in a field watching the babes and eating overpriced hot dogs it's okay.

But I prefer where the athletes must actually be fit and must exert themselves more than a total of a few minutes over several hours.

Now Cycling is king.
Old 06-11-2006, 04:25 PM   #12
Colly Wolly

Colly Wolly is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by fuegote
Hey, you like to watch cheeters, I'll watch floppers.

and please, someone help explain why baseball is called a sport.

My feelings aren't hurt but you sound very narrowminded every time soccer is brought up.

sorry none of your arguements had any substance.
I dont like baseball, so lets just get that out of the way. Baseball is just as bad as soccer.

You must be smoking dope, this thread was the first time I posted about soccer in any sort of negative way.

I bet you were real chapped that there isnt going to be a soccer stadium in Sandy, huh?

And if none of my arguments had any substance, why did you have to write so many paragraphs to address my points? LOL!

Last edited by Colly Wolly; 06-11-2006 at 04:37 PM.
Colly Wolly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2006, 04:36 PM   #13
ute4ever
I must not tell lies

ute4ever is an unknown quantity at this point

I like going to baseball games with a crowd. It's fun to talk, hang out, and eat overpriced ballpark food. The game itself is secondary.
ute4ever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2006, 04:36 PM   #14
Colly Wolly

Quote:
Originally Posted by Archaea
How does saying a sport sucks make it so?

Each sport or game has some entertainment value.

Sports include track, swimming, football, basketball, soccer, cycling, skiing and tennis.

Games include golf, bowling, baseball, and the like.

Soccer has its frustrating parts.

Baseball is very slow, very monotonous and lacks endurance or any elements of typical sport, so I call it a game. Some people like the defensive manipulations and the baseball field. If I can sit in a field watching the babes and eating overpriced hot dogs it's okay.

Now Cycling is king.
You are right, everything I typed is MY OPINION, and not universal law or anything. Obviously the rest of the world loves soccer. I am with the majority of Americans who find the sport unexciting compared to what basketball and football have to offer. If soccer was the only sport in the world, I would be an avid fan, but I am just glad there are better alternatives.
Old 06-12-2006, 03:38 PM   #15
Cali Coug

Cali Coug has a little shameless behaviour in the past

Relax, people! Whether or not you like a sport is a pure personal preference. Trying to argue to get people to like or dislike soccer or any other sport makes about as much sense as arguing about if they should like beets or jell-o.

I happen to like soccer. I think it is a great sport. I don't like hockey. I like baseball live. There is no way I can rationally explain why I like one and not another. It just is what it is.

Relax!
Cali Coug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2006, 06:14 PM   #16
fuegote

fuegote

Quote:
Originally Posted by hoyacoug
Relax, people! Whether or not you like a sport is a pure personal preference. Trying to argue to get people to like or dislike soccer or any other sport makes about as much sense as arguing about if they should like beets or jell-o.

I happen to like soccer. I think it is a great sport. I don't like hockey. I like baseball live. There is no way I can rationally explain why I like one and not another. It just is what it is.

Relax!
but Hoya, I never hear you respond to hockey posts in a negative manner. that's the difference. For some reason, anytime there's a soccer post all the naysayers have to jump out of the wood work to mention how much they hate it.
Old 06-12-2006, 07:06 PM   #17
bluegoose

bluegoose is on a distinguished road

I'm pretty neutral when it comes to being a soccer fan. I enjoyed playing as a kid, I've got my young ones involved in youth soccer, but I still have a hard time watching a whole professional soccer game.

After watching the Trinidad game on saturday, I can see where both of you are coming from. Stick brings up some valid points about the flopping. Karl Malone would have been proud. It was also good to see the underdogs pull out the "victory". The way I see it, there has got be some reason that we Americans are not seeing for soccer to be the world's #1 sports. Those fans are crazy about their teams. It amazes me how well they travel from all parts of the world. I'll be interested to see how pathetic the American following is at the game today.

I, for one, was cheering for Trinidad, despite my wifes family heritage of Swedes. I baptized severals Trinis on my mission, and they make the best curry in the world in my opinion.
bluegoose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2006, 09:56 PM   #18
fuegote

fuegote

My thoughts on the flopping. I've been thinking about that all weekend.

Think of the sport. You only have 3 subs and when you're subbed out...you can't come back in. You're done.

So, you take a cleat to the shin (which really hurts) or turn an ankle. You're going to "ham" it up just so you can rest a little and shake it off before you run on it for another 60-70 minutes.

I hate it. It sucks, but if you only have 3 subs and don't want to leave the match, what else are you going to do to buy some time.

Stick, I am sorry for being so aggressive with your posts. Your post broke the camel's back and I needed to get some things off my chest. You did watch and I thank you.

If you're a Euro, you're going to think most football games are dreadfully slow. You're accustomed to non stop play for 90 minutes with matches ending in less than two hours.

In american football you have 5 seconds of action followed by 30 seconds of waiting and that can last 3-4 hours. I love the non stop action of soccer, I also love football. Sorry again for taking my frustrations out on you.
Old 06-12-2006, 11:08 PM   #19
Colly Wolly

Its cool.