cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board  

Go Back   cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board > SPORTS! > Professional Sports
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-21-2006, 03:30 AM   #1
il Padrino Ute
Board Pinhead

il Padrino Ute is an unknown quantity at this point
Default I am watching ESPN Classic right now

It's a replay of Game 5 of the 1987 Eastern Conference Finals. Boston against Detroit.

The depth of teams in those days were incredible. It's disgusting how watered down the NBA has become in the last 20 years. Either one of these two teams would have worked Michael Jordan and his Bulls in any of those 6 championship years.

"This is now the joke that stupid people laugh at." - Christopher Hitchens on IQ jokes about GWB.
il Padrino Ute is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2006, 03:35 AM   #2
Parrot Head

Parrot Head is an unknown quantity at this point

You can't be telling me expansion (to Canada of all places!), high schoolers, streetball, and inflated egos and salaries are bad for the game?

How do you like AI and Chris (Time out!) Webber not showing up for fan appreciation day? I can let guys slide on some things, but that's pretty crappy.

Mr. Iverson, Mr. Webber, please say hello to those who make your lifestyle possible....

- Bronco, when asked how to describe PH
Parrot Head is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2006, 03:46 AM   #3
il Padrino Ute
Board Pinhead

Quote:
Originally Posted by Parrot Head
You can't be telling me expansion (to Canada of all places!), high schoolers, streetball, and inflated egos and salaries are bad for the game?

How do you like AI and Chris (Time out!) Webber not showing up for fan appreciation day? I can let guys slide on some things, but that's pretty crappy.

Mr. Iverson, Mr. Webber, please say hello to those who make your lifestyle possible....
I agree. While I can understand that any kind of celebrity wants to have some sense of privacy in their lives, I believe that they are somewhat obliged to accommodate the fans who have made them rich and famous.

As for what's become of the NBA today, I know it's odd to think so, but all that's happened really is bad. But then, perhaps I just have a bad attitude, eh?

:evil:

"This is now the joke that stupid people laugh at." - Christopher Hitchens on IQ jokes about GWB.
Old 04-21-2006, 05:13 AM   #4
MikeWaters
Demiurge

MikeWaters is an unknown quantity at this point

let's face it--this early drafting crap has really hurt the game overall.

You don't get to use colleges as your development league. Plus, due to the lack of college experience, these guys come in without anyone really knowing much about them.

We get to watch "athletes" and not "basketball players".
MikeWaters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2006, 05:23 AM   #5
il Padrino Ute
Board Pinhead

Amen.

It really is a shame that kids can go straight from high school to the pros. They have no concept pf the team game.

Another problem is that ESPN and it's highlights have ruined the game. Kids are no longer interested in learning the fundamentals. All they see is dunks and want to do the same. Rick Majerus was correct when he commented that the reason his Utah teams never had any highlights shown on ESPN was because nobody wants to see a down screen and a jumpshot.

Expansion has also been bad for the game. Far too many teams have diluted the talent.

I get the feeling that someday, expansion will move into Europe and we'll end up seeing the NBA Finals as the North American Champion vs. the European Champion. :evil:

Old 04-21-2006, 02:58 PM   #6
JohnnyLingo

JohnnyLingo has a little shameless behaviour in the past

Quote:
It really is a shame that kids can go straight from high school to the pros. They have no concept pf the team game.
Um, they can't. You have to be one year removed from high school to enter the draft now.
JohnnyLingo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2006, 02:46 AM   #7
il Padrino Ute
Board Pinhead

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnnyLingo
Um, they can't. You have to be one year removed from high school to enter the draft now.
Thanks for the correction. I didn't realize that.