cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board  

Go Back   cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board > SPORTS! > Cycling
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-17-2006, 05:31 PM   #1
bluegoose

bluegoose is on a distinguished road
Default Weekend ride report

Its been a awhile since we've done a weekend ride report. I'll give it a go, since a weekly saturday ride is all I'm able to do these days due to cold and darkness.

We were able to organize a good size group ride on Saturday. All skill and experience levels were present, which as a lot of you know, can make for a somewhat scary pace line. 8 of 9 were LDS, which was kind of cool.

Five miles into the ride, one guy caught the back wheel of someone who had braked slightly and went down hard on his right hip and shoulder. Fortunately he didn't break a clavicle, as he is a fairly big fella and we were moving along at about 22-23 mph at the time. Bike was rideable with only a slight wobble in the front wheel.

Our ride was about 42 miles total with almost 3,000 feet of climbing. The two bigger guys that came took awhile to finish the big climb. Once we re-grouped at the top, those 2 took off downhill and after an 8 mile screamin' downhill we didn't see them again. The last 12 miles were fairly flat with only a slight 1-2% downgrade, but we just could not catch them. Our little pace line was clipping along at 30-32 mph for most of it. They said they were cruising along at 28-29 mph with just the two of them, but they had such a huge leadout after the downhill they were out of reach.

On the last little riser about 2 miles from the finish I got dropped like a rock. I hit the base of the hill with my HR at 174 and it all went downhill from there. So I got a little alone time to finish. It was good for me to be able to quietly ponder the ride and the beauties of the earth, and not have others to bother me as I dry heaved after the sprint to the top of the hill.
bluegoose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2006, 05:54 PM   #2
Archaea
Assistant to the Regional Manager

Archaea is an unknown quantity at this point

Sounds great.

I had a little tri. Unfortunately I slept badly night before and awoke sluggish. Thus, swim went sluggishly and bike went worse. It was a short but steep bike, 24 miles with 3200 feet of climbing. Once I was passed by some slow people I simply jogged in.

As a result I punished myself by working hard yesterday and today, including three three mile run repeats, negatively splitting them. Man it sucks to get old and slow.
Old 10-17-2006, 07:28 PM   #3
creekster

creekster is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Archaea View Post
Man it sucks to get old and slow.
I heartily disagree. I am glad to finally have an excuse for being so slow.
Old 10-17-2006, 08:00 PM   #4
Archaea
Assistant to the Regional Manager

Archaea is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by creekster View Post
I heartily disagree. I am glad to finally have an excuse for being so slow.
Well, you have no excuses as you are the Greek God of Cycling for CG. So we expect you to be spot on.
Old 10-17-2006, 09:07 PM   #5
SteelBlue

SteelBlue is an unknown quantity at this point

At least you guys have the "old" excuse. I'm just slow.
SteelBlue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2006, 12:35 AM   #6
il Padrino Ute
Board Pinhead

il Padrino Ute is an unknown quantity at this point

I've been getting up each Saturday morning at about 4:30 for the last 2 months or so to ride along the Jordan River Parkway. I do about 30 miles each time. I'd love to be able to go more, but just can't do it with evferything else going on in life.

I get a nice adrenaline rush each time I see the Wasatch Range silhouetted against the sky just before the sun peers over the mountains. It's my favorite time of the day and I really enjoy being pretty much the only one along the trail that early.

Because it's a rather flat ride, I have on two different occassions towed my 11 year old behind me while he's on his skateboard. I may not win any "safe dad" awards, but dangit, he and I have had a good time doing that.

"This is now the joke that stupid people laugh at." - Christopher Hitchens on IQ jokes about GWB.
il Padrino Ute is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2006, 05:40 AM   #7
bluegoose

bluegoose is on a distinguished road

Good for you Paddy. Not about the safe-dad thing, but about getting out and hammering the bike every saturday morning. There have been several on here who have vowed to start cycling for exercise, but I believe you are the only one who has actually followed through.

I'm sure he at least has a helmet on (He does, doesn't he???). Steelblue and I have a common acquaintance who was rollerblading down a bike trail with his spouse when he fell, smashed his head on the pavement and ending up in the ICU for about 2 weeks with a brain bleed. It took him a good year to return to normal, and even 2 years later his wife said he occasionally acted out in weird ways.
bluegoose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2006, 04:09 PM   #8
il Padrino Ute
Board Pinhead

il Padrino Ute is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluegoose View Post
Good for you Paddy. Not about the safe-dad thing, but about getting out and hammering the bike every saturday morning. There have been several on here who have vowed to start cycling for exercise, but I believe you are the only one who has actually followed through.

I'm sure he at least has a helmet on (He does, doesn't he???). Steelblue and I have a common acquaintance who was rollerblading down a bike trail with his spouse when he fell, smashed his head on the pavement and ending up in the ICU for about 2 weeks with a brain bleed. It took him a good year to return to normal, and even 2 years later his wife said he occasionally acted out in weird ways.
Yes, he has a helmet. We have a rule at our house: no helmet = no skateboard or bike.

I'd like to get out more often, but right now it's tough to do.

"This is now the joke that stupid people laugh at." - Christopher Hitchens on IQ jokes about GWB.
il Padrino Ute is offline   Reply With Quote