cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board  

Go Back   cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board > non-Sports > Religion
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-29-2008, 06:09 AM   #1
SoonerCoug
Formerly known as MudPhudCoug

SoonerCoug is on a distinguished road
Default Time to stop defending the FLDS

http://deseretnews.com/article/1,5143,695274633,00.html

"A total of 53 girls between the ages of 14 and 17 are in state custody after a raid 3 1/2 weeks ago at the Yearning For Zion Ranch in Eldorado. Of those girls, 31 either have children or are pregnant, said Child Protective Services spokesman Darrell Azar. Two of those are pregnant now, he said; it was unclear whether either of those two already have children."

The FLDS don't deserve to keep their kids unless they're willing to leave the sect. The sect is obviously pushing underage marriage in a very big way. I had no idea the underage marriage was THIS widespread. And the FLDS women are lying to the media about having no knowledge of underage marriage.
SoonerCoug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2008, 06:18 AM   #2
Cali Coug

Cali Coug has a little shameless behaviour in the past

Quote:
Originally Posted by MudphudCoug View Post
http://deseretnews.com/article/1,5143,695274633,00.html

"A total of 53 girls between the ages of 14 and 17 are in state custody after a raid 3 1/2 weeks ago at the Yearning For Zion Ranch in Eldorado. Of those girls, 31 either have children or are pregnant, said Child Protective Services spokesman Darrell Azar. Two of those are pregnant now, he said; it was unclear whether either of those two already have children."

The FLDS don't deserve to keep their kids unless they're willing to leave the sect. The sect is obviously pushing underage marriage in a very big way. I had no idea the underage marriage was THIS widespread. And the FLDS women are lying to the media about having no knowledge of underage marriage.
I believe it was UtahDan who said Waters could live to regret his passionate defense of the sect. In Waters defense, I got the impression that he was in favor of due process for the group (I am as well) but he got carried away and took the defense further than it should have gone. They have done some messed up things to those kids.
Cali Coug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2008, 11:45 AM   #3
Indy Coug

Indy Coug is an unknown quantity at this point

I don't think it's morally inconsistent to want due process for the FLDS while not defending the above statistic on pregnant 14 to 17 year olds.
Indy Coug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2008, 11:56 AM   #4
MikeWaters
Demiurge

MikeWaters is an unknown quantity at this point

I've said that I support the punishment of those that have committed crimes (statuatory rape).

Do I trust the state? No.

If that means "too far", well then you must be a raging liberal anti-civil libertarian. And yes, the person that has leveled that charge against me is exactly that.

It's sad that some of you are just licking your lips waiting to attack me for defending civil liberties. The idea of taking away all children based on affiliation with religion....well, that person must also be an anti-civil libertarian. Guess what. He is.

I've long said that there are many Mormons who cannot morally reason, who do not understand ethics, who see only black and white.

QED.
MikeWaters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2008, 02:39 PM   #5
UtahDan

UtahDan is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeWaters View Post
QED.
Old 04-29-2008, 02:45 PM   #6
Cali Coug

Cali Coug has a little shameless behaviour in the past

Quote:
Originally Posted by Indy Coug View Post
I don't think it's morally inconsistent to want due process for the FLDS while not defending the above statistic on pregnant 14 to 17 year olds.
Neither do I.
Cali Coug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2008, 02:46 PM   #7
BYU71

BYU71 is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
I've said that I support the punishment of those that have committed crimes (statuatory rape).

If that means "too far", well then you must be a raging liberal anti-civil libertarian. And yes, the person that has leveled that charge against me is exactly that.

It's sad that some of you are just licking your lips waiting to attack me for defending civil liberties. The idea of taking away all children based on affiliation with religion....well, that person must also be an anti-civil libertarian. Guess what. He is.

I've long said that there are many Mormons who cannot morally reason, who do not understand ethics, who see only black and white.

QED.
There are also many Baptists, Jews, Muslims, liberals, conservatives, atheists, college professors, businessmen, politicians, used car salesman, BYU fans, Utah fans, who also cannot morally reason, who do not understand ethics and only see black and white.
BYU71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2008, 02:50 PM   #8
UtahDan

UtahDan is on a distinguished road

Quote:

Old 04-29-2008, 03:00 PM   #9
myboynoah

myboynoah is an unknown quantity at this point

I'm all for due process, but this latest revelation kills much of the sympathy I held for the mothers. I guess it's possible these girls hooked up with boys near their ages, but unlikely. These folks have made their own hell.

Religion rises inevitably from our apprehension of our own death. To give meaning to meaninglessness is the endless quest of all religion. When death becomes the center of our consciousness, then religion authentically begins. Of all religions that I know, the one that most vehemently and persuasively defies and denies the reality of death is the original Mormonism of the Prophet, Seer and Revelator, Joseph Smith.
myboynoah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2008, 03:11 PM   #10
SeattleUte

SeattleUte has a little shameless behaviour in the past

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cali Coug View Post
I believe it was UtahDan who said Waters could live to regret his passionate defense of the sect. In Waters defense, I got the impression that he was in favor of due process for the group (I am as well) but he got carried away and took the defense further than it should have gone. They have done some messed up things to those kids.
I think Waters has some weird feeling of affinity with the group.

—Paul Auster
SeattleUte is offline   Reply With Quote