cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board  

Go Back   cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board > non-Sports > Religion
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-14-2008, 03:26 PM   #11
K-dog

K-dog is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by BYU71 View Post
That had to be a discussion that got off track from the lesson itself. I am sure it never said in the lesson quide, "now perk the interest of the Sisters by asking if the Holy Ghost is male or feemale."

He is male, with feminine tendencies. That is how he can speak in a small still voice.
Apparently it got a little heated too. Lesson manual: "get the sisters to argue concerning the nature of the Holy Ghost and the divinity of a male dominated priesthood."

K-dog

P.S. Grrrrrrrrr
K-dog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2008, 03:28 PM   #12
Indy Coug

Indy Coug is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by K-dog View Post
I'm aware of that...that's why it was a follow-up question.
Are you asking if divine beings collectively can be both male and female, or if individual diving beings can be both male and female?

Yes to the former, no to the latter.
Indy Coug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2008, 03:34 PM   #13
K-dog

Quote:
Originally Posted by Indy Coug View Post
Are you asking if divine beings collectively can be both male and female, or if individual diving beings can be both male and female?

Yes to the former, no to the latter.
That's my primary thought on the subject but I've heard some interesting things focused on the plural nature of Elohim and the meaning behind it. Some think that Elohim is a collective referring to a male half and a female half combining to make a whole. Sort of a Father and Mother who are united in all things raising their children. I like the idea in some ways and wondered if others thought it had legs.

K-dog

P.S. Grrrrrrrrr
Old 04-14-2008, 03:56 PM   #14
DrumNFeather
Active LDS Ute Fan

DrumNFeather is an unknown quantity at this point

I'm too lazy to find the link, but Fus has proposed this idea as well, citing scriptures and everything. As I recall, it was an interesting thread...but that was a long time ago.
DrumNFeather is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2008, 04:57 PM   #15
Spaz

Spaz is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by K-dog View Post
That's my primary thought on the subject but I've heard some interesting things focused on the plural nature of Elohim and the meaning behind it. Some think that Elohim is a collective referring to a male half and a female half combining to make a whole. Sort of a Father and Mother who are united in all things raising their children. I like the idea in some ways and wondered if others thought it had legs.
Just to confirm I have the gist of the line of thought correct...are you talking about an individual divine being (God) as being both female & male, or are you talking about 'God' as referring to the partnership of two divine beings, one of which is male & one of which is female, working together as a single entity?

The latter is where my opinion lies, while the former I find unlikely but not faith-shaking were it true.

"It doesn't mean that if we lose a game or when we lose a game people won't then jump on and say the quest is over. Because they will. But they've missed the point." -Bronco Mendenhall on "The Quest"
Spaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2008, 05:02 PM   #16
Sleeping in EQ

Sleeping in EQ is an unknown quantity at this point

Few notions are more convoluted in the LDS Church than the HG. Of course the Lectures on Faith, which were the "doctrine" part of the D&C from 1835 until 1921, taught a kind of binitarianism, with the HG being the shared mind of the Father and the Son.

Today, many LDS people talk about the "Spirit" in a very superstitious fashion. At BYU-I, someone could be drinking a caffeinated beverage and those around her would say things like "the Spirit just left."

It's bizarre.
"Do not despise the words of prophets, but test everything; hold fast to what is good; " 1 Thess. 5:21 (NRSV)

We all trust our own unorthodoxies.
Sleeping in EQ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2008, 05:41 PM   #17
BYU71

BYU71 is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sleeping in EQ View Post
Few notions are more convoluted in the LDS Church than the HG. Of course the Lectures on Faith, which were the "doctrine" part of the D&C from 1835 until 1921, taught a kind of binitarianism, with the HG being the shared mind of the Father and the Son.

Today, many LDS people talk about the "Spirit" in a very superstitious fashion. At BYU-I, someone could be drinking a caffeinated beverage and those around her would say things like "the Spirit just left."

It's bizarre.

IN my opinion, the spirit leaves the room when those types walk in.
BYU71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2008, 05:57 PM   #18
K-dog

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spaz View Post
Just to confirm I have the gist of the line of thought correct...are you talking about an individual divine being (God) as being both female & male, or are you talking about 'God' as referring to the partnership of two divine beings, one of which is male & one of which is female, working together as a single entity?

The latter is where my opinion lies, while the former I find unlikely but not faith-shaking were it true.
The latter.

K-dog

P.S. Grrrrrrrrr
Old 04-14-2008, 05:58 PM   #19
K-dog

Quote:

It's bizarre.
I find the "spirit just left" stuff to be amusing.

K-dog

P.S. Grrrrrrrrr
Old 04-14-2008, 06:14 PM   #20
Spaz

Spaz is on a distinguished road

Quote:

It's bizarre.
Apparently I don't have the spirit with me just now, as I'm sipping on my 1-liter Cherry Pepsi.

"It doesn't mean that if we lose a game or when we lose a game people won't then jump on and say the quest is over. Because they will. But they've missed the point." -Bronco Mendenhall on "The Quest"
Spaz is offline   Reply With Quote