cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board  

Go Back   cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board > non-Sports > Religion
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-14-2008, 03:09 PM   #1
K-dog

K-dog is on a distinguished road
Default Yesterday the Relief Society

discussed whether the Holy Ghost was a woman because of its empathy. Many stated that it was clear the Holy Ghost was a man. Others thought it equally clear that we don't know either way. What do the mighty of Cougarguard say on the subject?

K-dog

P.S. Grrrrrrrrr
K-dog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2008, 03:14 PM   #2
Indy Coug

Indy Coug is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by K-dog View Post
discussed whether the Holy Ghost was a woman because of its empathy. Many stated that it was clear the Holy Ghost was a man. Others thought it equally clear that we don't know either way. What do the mighty of Cougarguard say on the subject?
If I had $50, I'd put it on "male".
Indy Coug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2008, 03:15 PM   #3
All-American

All-American is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via MSN to All-American

Quote:
Nephi said he had the form of a man. I've only ever seen the Holy Ghost referred to as a "he" or an "it." In Greek, by the way, "to pneuma agion" is neuter.

The idea that the Holy Ghost is a personage at all seems to be an LDS-specific thought, and a later one at that (see Lectures on Faith). Doctrine on the "Light of Christ" seems to fill the void left by the incorporation (inspiritization?) of the Holy Ghost.

Bottom line: I believe what it says in D&C 130:22-23, but it is pretty clear that we don't know a lot about what's going on. If it turns out that we've got some details wrong, I won't lose any sleep over it.
Old 04-14-2008, 03:15 PM   #4
K-dog

Quote:
Originally Posted by Indy Coug View Post
If I had $50, I'd put it on "male".
Thoughts on the belief that Gods are both male and female and neither male nore female exclusively?

K-dog

P.S. Grrrrrrrrr
Old 04-14-2008, 03:17 PM   #5
K-dog

Quote:
Originally Posted by All-American View Post
Nephi said he had the form of a man. I've only ever seen the Holy Ghost referred to as a "he" or an "it." In Greek, by the way, "to pneuma agion" is neuter.

The idea that the Holy Ghost is a personage at all seems to be an LDS-specific thought, and a later one at that (see Lectures on Faith). Doctrine on the "Light of Christ" seems to fill the void left by the incorporation (inspiritization?) of the Holy Ghost.

Bottom line: I believe what it says in D&C 130:22-23, but it is pretty clear that we don't know a lot about what's going on. If it turns out that we've got some details wrong, I won't lose any sleep over it.
So the Greek for Holy Ghost is neuter but Nephi said that it had the form of a man...interesting.

K-dog

P.S. Grrrrrrrrr
Old 04-14-2008, 03:18 PM   #6
Indy Coug

Indy Coug is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Thoughts on the belief that Gods are both male and female and neither male nore female exclusively?
That's a different question than the maleness/femaleness of the Holy Ghost.
Indy Coug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2008, 03:21 PM   #7
Archaea
Assistant to the Regional Manager

Archaea is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by All-American View Post

Is that a first declension neuter noun? Because pneuma looks like a first declension feminine noun, but the adjective makes me think it is neuter. Of course, I am usually wrong on these things so correct me.
Old 04-14-2008, 03:23 PM   #8
BYU71

BYU71 is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
That had to be a discussion that got off track from the lesson itself. I am sure it never said in the lesson quide, "now perk the interest of the Sisters by asking if the Holy Ghost is male or feemale."

He is male, with feminine tendencies. That is how he can speak in a small still voice.
BYU71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2008, 03:23 PM   #9
K-dog

Quote:
Originally Posted by Indy Coug View Post
That's a different question than the maleness/femaleness of the Holy Ghost.
I'm aware of that...that's why it was a follow-up question.

K-dog

P.S. Grrrrrrrrr
Old 04-14-2008, 03:25 PM   #10
All-American

All-American is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via MSN to All-American

Quote:
So the Greek for Holy Ghost is neuter but Nephi said that it had the form of a man...interesting.
We have a different conception of "spirit" than the ancients do. The word for "spirit" in both Greek (pneuma) and Latin (spiritus) could also have been translated as "breath," "air," or "wind." There is a great word play in John 3, when the Savior says that the wind bloweth wherever it wants-- the word he uses is the same as "spirit" the previous verse: pneuma. Inspiration is either the process of having the spirit of God stroke your intelligence, or breathing in; expire means either to breathe out or to have the breath of life leave you (i.e., to die).

The ancients regarded the spirit, the breath of life, or whatever else by which it may have been referred as as a vivifying force not necessarily specific to one being or entity. Greeks would have referred to the Holy Spirit in the neuter because as far as they knew, it was not a man, but, well, a spirit.