cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board  

Go Back   cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board > non-Sports > Religion
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

View Poll Results: Do you think Heavenly Father favors gay marriage and is part of His eternal plan?
Yes 2 13.33%
No 13 86.67%
Voters: 15. You may not vote on this poll

Old 02-26-2008, 08:47 PM   #11
Clark Addison

Clark Addison is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by jay santos View Post
I think Clark might have omitted the word gay and the sentence should read:

It is possible to believe that gay marriage is not part of God's plan, yet still not have a problem with a couple of guys running down to the Justice of the Peace and getting hitched.
Oops, yes, thanks, that's what I meant. I've edited my first post.

I don't know if that makes it more palatable or not to those who initially disagreed with me, but it is at least more clear.
Clark Addison is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2008, 08:49 PM   #12
Clark Addison

Quote:
Originally Posted by exUte View Post
in some obscure document, that marriage is ordained of God. Now, i'm real confused.
Yes, but it is also a civil contract. I really don't understand the great conflict here, so maybe one of you can better explain your position rather than throw out pithy one-liners (not trying to be snarky, I just don't understand what about my position you see as misguided).
Old 02-26-2008, 08:52 PM   #13
exUte

exUte can only hope to improve
Default You said that society merely

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clark Addison View Post
Yes, but it is also a civil contract. I really don't understand the great conflict here, so maybe one of you can better explain your position rather than throw out pithy one-liners (not trying to be snarky, I just don't understand what about my position you see as misguided).
sees it as a civil contract. I'm asking you what you think.
exUte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2008, 08:54 PM   #14
jay santos

jay santos is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Oops, yes, thanks, that's what I meant. I've edited my first post.

I don't know if that makes it more palatable or not to those who initially disagreed with me, but it is at least more clear.
And Indy marvels at my ability to read between the lines to uncover the true meaning. It's a talent.
jay santos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2008, 08:59 PM   #15
Clark Addison

Quote:
sees it as a civil contract. I'm asking you what you think.
It's both. It is a sacred covenant and a saving ordinance made in the temple. Obviously, I am not in favor of opening up the temple to gay marriage.

It is also a civil contract. Because I am married to my wife, we have various legal benefits. I can take sick time to care for her when she is ill. She has automatic inheritance rights when I die. If we were to divorce, we would each have visitation or custody rights for our children. I don't see the harm in opening up these types of benefits to gay couples.
Old 02-26-2008, 09:20 PM   #16
exUte

exUte can only hope to improve
Default So you would not allow gays to have

Quote:
It's both. It is a sacred covenant and a saving ordinance made in the temple. Obviously, I am not in favor of opening up the temple to gay marriage.

It is also a civil contract. Because I am married to my wife, we have various legal benefits. I can take sick time to care for her when she is ill. She has automatic inheritance rights when I die. If we were to divorce, we would each have visitation or custody rights for our children. I don't see the harm in opening up these types of benefits to gay couples.
the same saving ordinances as hetero's? Why should the church condone civil marriages but not temple? You know that's the next step gay Mormons would want. Why discriminate?
exUte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2008, 10:01 PM   #17
non sequitur

non sequitur is an unknown quantity at this point

What an idiotic question. Is football part of God's plan? What about muffins? Let's pass a law banning football and muffins.
...You've been under attack for days, there's a soldier down, he's wounded, gangrene's setting in, 'Who's used all the penicillin?' 'Oh, Mark Paxson sir, he's got knob rot off of some tart.'" - Gareth Keenan
non sequitur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2008, 10:05 PM   #18
Snowcat

Snowcat is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by non sequitur View Post
What an idiotic question. Is football part of God's plan? What about muffins? Let's pass a law banning football and muffins.
Follow-up question. is it in any way counter to God's plan.
Snowcat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2008, 10:50 PM   #19
Clark Addison

Quote:
the same saving ordinances as hetero's? Why should the church condone civil marriages but not temple? You know that's the next step gay Mormons would want. Why discriminate?
The Church doesn't have to condone anything, the government does. The church should be able to restrict marriages to anyone it wants. But if the government is going to grant special priviledges to married couples, I don't think it should discriminate.