cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board  

Go Back   cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board > SPORTS! > Football
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-05-2007, 04:58 PM   #51
HuskyFreeNorthwest

HuskyFreeNorthwest is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by BYU71 View Post
Can we just say it is clear to you. I know people who don't think so and at least two callers called in bitching about the price of tickets and the quality of the opponents.

Let me ask you this. I can't give some extra tickets away and yet for the Utah game I have people calling me constantly asking if I can get them tickets. I had the same thing for the Arizona game.

BYU stunk after 2001. I had people calling me asking if I could get tickets for USC and ND. Things aren't as clear as you think.
That is fine, I am sure there are people who have been treated well. Maybe BYU has decided that since you have to live in Utah to watch games you also have to live there to donate and buy tickets. We can leave it at that.

Your evidence about giving tickets away to 2 or 3 games however flies in the face of the true statistics. People were not more interested in watching BYU play from 2000-2005 with better quality opponents at home. BYU had their lowest average attendance during those years since before the stadium expansion.

I do wonder if Indy is upset that I am agreeing with him on this. I think he has me ignored on CB.
HuskyFreeNorthwest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2007, 05:04 PM   #52
jay santos

jay santos is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by HuskyFreeNorthwest View Post

Your evidence about giving tickets away to 2 or 3 games however flies in the face of the true statistics. People were not more interested in watching BYU play from 2000-2005 with better quality opponents at home. BYU had their lowest average attendance during those years since before the stadium expansion.
The ND and USC game those years, and every Utah game has been packed with people paying above face value outside the stadium to get in.

Every game this year after the AZ game, you could bought a ticket for less than half face value outside the stadium.
jay santos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2007, 05:04 PM   #53
Indy Coug

Indy Coug is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
That is fine, I am sure there are people who have been treated well. Maybe BYU has decided that since you have to live in Utah to watch games you also have to live there to donate and buy tickets. We can leave it at that.

I do wonder if Indy is upset that I am agreeing with him on this. I think he has me ignored on CB.
I haven't ignored you on CB.
Indy Coug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2007, 05:09 PM   #54
BYU71

BYU71 is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:

It is not important enough for me to spend the time researching why the attendance was the way it was. One thing that hurt 2001 was we came off of a less than stellar year the year before and the first game was before the students even got back in 2001.

I will also bet the games against ND and USC and GT and Syracuse, etc. were better sold than the games against the teams we were sure bets to win.

As long as BYU is winning and winning the conference, attendance will be just fine as long as they don't drop the UCLA's and replace them with the UTEPS.
BYU71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2007, 05:09 PM   #55
HuskyFreeNorthwest

Quote:
Originally Posted by Indy Coug View Post
I haven't ignored you on CB.
Oh, thanks.
Old 11-05-2007, 05:15 PM   #56
BYU71

Quote:
Originally Posted by jay santos View Post
The ND and USC game those years, and every Utah game has been packed with people paying above face value outside the stadium to get in.

Every game this year after the AZ game, you could bought a ticket for less than half face value outside the stadium.
True and against EWU you couldn't even give the tickets away. That of course means nothing to some guy who doesn't buy tickets and just looks at statistics.

The way I figure it the schedule was good enough this year at home that the price of $660 for a season ticket was worth it.

Next year is a rip off unless you consider a UCLA ticket is worth $510 and the rest of the tickets are worth $30 a piece. That is of course unless they raise prices again, not that those who don't buy tickets would notice.
Old 11-05-2007, 05:28 PM   #57
HuskyFreeNorthwest

[QUOTE=BYU71;146147]That of course means nothing to some guy who doesn't buy tickets and just looks at statistics.QUOTE]

Nice dig, here I thought CG was so much smarter and civilized than CB. I am sorry that facts of attendance don't line up with your theory regarding giving tickets away to people in your blood line.

The facts that you don't care to research and then mock someone who is willing to make a fact based argument is that when we were playing the Bowling Green, Long Beach State and Temples of the world there was so much demand for tickets that the stadium expanded by 20,000 seats.

When we were playing the USC, BSU, ND, Boston Colleges of the world we weren't selling out the stadium. For the bulk of fans, which are the people that fill the seats it is about winning games against anyone not about playing high profile teams.

For the last 5 years I have had problems giving away my 8 tickets on weeks I couldn't make it down even for the high profile games. Last year I had no problem giving away tickets to the games I wasn't able to come to, surprise we were good. Had BYU sold me tickets this year I doubt I would have had a hard time this year either.
Old 11-05-2007, 05:37 PM   #58
BYU71

[QUOTE=HuskyFreeNorthwest;146159][QUOTE=BYU71;146147]That of course means nothing to some guy who doesn't buy tickets and just looks at statistics.QUOTE]

Nice dig, here I thought CG was so much smarter and civilized than CB. I am sorry that facts of attendance don't line up with your theory regarding giving tickets away to people in your blood line.

The facts that you don't care to research and then mock someone who is willing to make a fact based argument is that when we were playing the Bowling Green, Long Beach State and Temples of the world there was so much demand for tickets that the stadium expanded by 20,000 seats.

My post response:

This thing has gone back and forth so much I want to make it clear what we are arguing about.

I am saying that if we dummy down the schedule more than it is already, eventually that will hurt season ticket sales. Are you disagreeing with that.
Old 11-05-2007, 06:02 PM   #59
Indy Coug

Indy Coug is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by BYU71 View Post
This thing has gone back and forth so much I want to make it clear what we are arguing about.

I am saying that if we dummy down the schedule more than it is already, eventually that will hurt season ticket sales. Are you disagreeing with that.
If we consistently win 10 to 12 games a year and are perpetually in the top 25, yes I do.
Indy Coug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2007, 06:03 PM   #60
HuskyFreeNorthwest

I am saying that if BYU is winning 9+ games every year that it won't matter who they play.

I think you and I can agree that WE (meaning you and I) would both like to play better teams, I would rather see LSU, Oklahoma, USC, Virginia etc in LES and BYU lose than Tulsa and Nevada. The facts about people attending the games just prove the opposite. From 1977-1992 when BYU sold out every game of the season BYU played the following OOC games
77-Kansas St. (who would be like Vandy not the KSU of today) Arizona and Long Beach State.
78-Utah State, all other OOC games were on the road, featuring powerhouses like Oregon State, Oregon and UNLV.
79-Weber State, all other OOC games were on the road including Long Beach State.
80-Long Beach State, North Texas State.
81-Utah State, UNLV

The fact that we went 52-10 through those years made it so that ticket demand was enought to increase the stadium capacity by 50%.

82-No non-conf home games.
83-Bowling Green and Utah State
84-Baylor, Tulsa and Utah State
85-UCLA and Washington
86-Utah State, Temple and Oregon State
87-Pitt and Utah State
88-Texas, Utah State and TCU
89-Washington State and Oregon
90-Miami, Washington State and Utah State
91-Utah State
92-UCLA, Utah State and Penn State

Following 92 BYU did start to get better games on the schedule and started winning a lot less. Attendance went down and BYU from 1993-2000 years of LaVell only averaged capacity during the 1999 year.

So in case you have missed my answer, yes fans care more about winning than schedule. If BYU is winning 9-10 games a year we can play Long Beach State and Bowling Green and the fans will show up, or at least buy the tickets and donate which at the end of the day is all this is about.

Last edited by HuskyFreeNorthwest; 11-05-2007 at 06:07 PM.