cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board  

Go Back   cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board > non-Sports > Religion
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-13-2006, 01:12 PM   #1
Sleeping in EQ

Sleeping in EQ is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Magic Number in Church History

Any guesses?

That's right, it's the number of doctrinal errors Mark E. Peterson and Marion G. Romney found in Bruce R. McConkie's Mormon Doctrine. Elders Peterson and Romney were reviewing the book at the direction of the First Presidency. In announcing their decision to the gathered Quorum of the Twelve, The First Presidency signed their names to a memo stating that Mormon Doctrine "must not be republished, as it is full or errors and misstatements, and it is most unfortunate that it has received such wide circulation." The First Presidency initially prescribed that Elder McConkie make a public apology for the book, but changed its mind three weeks later because the apology "might lessen his influence" as a General Church Authority.

Someone keep Grapevine away from ledges and sharp objects.

P.S.: I don't think this makes Elder McConkie any less of a General Authority.
"Do not despise the words of prophets, but test everything; hold fast to what is good; " 1 Thess. 5:21 (NRSV)

We all trust our own unorthodoxies.

Last edited by Sleeping in EQ; 07-13-2006 at 03:32 PM.
Sleeping in EQ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2006, 01:37 PM   #2
UtahDan

UtahDan is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sleeping in EQ

Any guesses?

That's right, it's the number of doctrinal errors Mark E. Peterson and Marion G. Romney found in Bruce R. McConkie's Mormon Doctrine. Elders Peterson and Romney were reviewing the book at the direction of the First Presidency. In announcing their decision to the gathered Quorum of the Twelve, The First Presidency signed their names to a memo stating that Mormon Doctrine "must not be republished, as it is full or errors and misstatements, and it is most unfortunate that it has received such wide circulation." The First Presidency initially proscribed that Elder McConkie make a public apology for the book, but changed its mind three weeks later because the apology "might lessen his influence" as a General Church Authority.

I think what it DOES show, however, is that even a well intended Apostle (I think he was well intended, others disagree, I know) using his best efforts and powers of reason can come to a host of incorrect conclusions about a range of things acting alone.

How much more true this must be for the rest of us.

*Sings* "We thank Thee, oh God, for a prophet......"
Old 07-13-2006, 02:55 PM   #3
El Guapo

El Guapo is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sleeping in EQ

Any guesses?

That's right, it's the number of doctrinal errors Mark E. Peterson and Marion G. Romney found in Bruce R. McConkie's Mormon Doctrine. Elders Peterson and Romney were reviewing the book at the direction of the First Presidency. In announcing their decision to the gathered Quorum of the Twelve, The First Presidency signed their names to a memo stating that Mormon Doctrine "must not be republished, as it is full or errors and misstatements, and it is most unfortunate that it has received such wide circulation." The First Presidency initially proscribed that Elder McConkie make a public apology for the book, but changed its mind three weeks later because the apology "might lessen his influence" as a General Church Authority.

That is interesting. I am curious, though, how we know that Romney's and Peterson's conclusions reflected true doctrine while McConkie's did not.

Don't get me wrong, I find Mormon Doctrine to have a lot of VERY odd statements. But if one guy is infallible, aren't two also? Wouldn't the entire quorum of the 12 need to review the book to accurately determine the number of errors, if any?
El Guapo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2006, 03:02 PM   #4
Sleeping in EQ

Quote:
Originally Posted by El Guapo
That is interesting. I am curious, though, how we know that Romney's and Peterson's conclusions reflected true doctrine while McConkie's did not.
I don't think we do know (or even need to). Disagreement can be a good thing. Try to follow the Spirit and encourage others to do likewise.

Quote:
Originally Posted by El Guapo
Don't get me wrong, I find Mormon Doctrine to have a lot of VERY odd statements. But if one guy is infallible, aren't two also? Wouldn't the entire quorum of the 12 need to review the book to accurately determine the number of errors, if any?
Of course two (or more) can be fallible as well. As to who should review it, TFP assigned Romney & Peterson (and TFP expressed agreement with their findings).
"Do not despise the words of prophets, but test everything; hold fast to what is good; " 1 Thess. 5:21 (NRSV)

Last edited by Sleeping in EQ; 07-13-2006 at 03:12 PM.
Old 07-13-2006, 03:09 PM   #5
Sleeping in EQ

Quote:
Originally Posted by UtahDan
I think what it DOES show, however, is that even a well intended Apostle (I think he was well intended, others disagree, I know) using his best efforts and powers of reason can come to a host of incorrect conclusions about a range of things acting alone.

How much more true this must be for the rest of us.

*Sings* "We thank Thee, oh God, for a prophet......"
Two scriptures come immediately to mind:

The first is when Nephi observes that his father Lehi didn't completely understand everything about his own vision. (1 Ne. 15:11)

The second is Paul's declaration in 1 Cor. 13: 12: For now we see through a glass, darkly...

Old 07-13-2006, 04:54 PM   #6
Dan

Dan is an unknown quantity at this point
Default BRM was a member of the Seventy

... when he penned the first edition of Mormon Doctrine. He conceded to produce a toned down second edition, which is the one we all have today. The first edition is a black-listed book. It is very hard to find one. It was this maverick production of MD by BRM that caused all GAs to have to funnel their books through the 1st P for approval.

Temet Nosce - \"Know Thyself\"
Dan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2006, 06:21 PM   #7
UteStar

UteStar is an unknown quantity at this point

Yeah, it may have over 1000 errors, but it is also a big book so it whittles it down to only about two errors every page. And that aint bad!
UteStar is offline   Reply With Quote