cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board  

Go Back   cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board > SPORTS! > Cycling
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-10-2008, 05:36 PM   #51
MikeWaters
Demiurge

MikeWaters is an unknown quantity at this point

The family can extend mercy, in that they can tell him that they forgive him.

But that should not stop the state from prosecuting him.
MikeWaters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2008, 05:40 PM   #52
creekster

creekster is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tex View Post
The "murder" comment was not directed at you, but at Mike Waters (with whom it appeared you agreed). Apologies for the confusion, but many times I'm trying to respond to multiple people with one post.

Here is your response. You'll notice that I commented RIGHT THERE that I didn't say he shouldn't be prosecuted. That is, the family and/or the state have a right to prosecute should they so choose.

Given that based on what little we know, it appeared to be an accident (and I'm going to give him the benefit until shown otherwise), I remarked how amazing it would be if the family chose to extend mercy. It might help them both heal a little more easily after a tremendous tragedy.

I pity that you don't share that feeling, but I don't begrudge you it. Stop acting like I'm unreasonable for how I feel, would you?
SO how do you feel? Quit using double negatives. Speak declaratively for once. SAying "I don't say he shouldn't be prosecuted" certainyl si not as clear as "He should be prosecuted", is it?

And as I said before, what circumstacnes, in your mind (if there are any) would allow you to conclude that this guy should just walk away facing notihing? UNder what is reported I can't imagine any.

At least we all agree that this is a terrible tragedy.
Old 03-10-2008, 05:41 PM   #53
Tex

Tex is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeWaters View Post
The family can extend mercy, in that they can tell him that they forgive him.

But that should not stop the state from prosecuting him.
From what little I understand of the justice system, the family would probably have great influence over whether or not charges are filed, what the charges would be, and even over sentence (in the event of a guilty verdict).

I think in these cases prosecutors (or district attorneys) are reluctant to prosecute without a willing and cooperative victim.

- Cali Coug

"Oh dear, granny, what a long tail our puss has got."

- Brigham Young
Tex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2008, 05:44 PM   #54
MikeWaters
Demiurge

Quote:
From what little I understand of the justice system, the family would probably have great influence over whether or not charges are filed, what the charges would be, and even over sentence (in the event of a guilty verdict).

I think in these cases prosecutors (or district attorneys) are reluctant to prosecute without a willing and cooperative victim.
Two victims are dead. Sad that if you are dead you can't be "willing and cooperative."

I'm sure the The Thin Blue Line will be in effect, and he will be talked to sternly and told never to do it again. Maybe even transferred to a desk job.
Old 03-10-2008, 05:44 PM   #55
Tex

Quote:
Originally Posted by creekster View Post
SO how do you feel? Quit using double negatives. Speak declaratively for once. SAying "I don't say he shouldn't be prosecuted" certainyl si not as clear as "He should be prosecuted", is it?
No, but I don't know enough to say "he should be prosecuted." I leave that up to the family and the judiciary. I only acknowledge that the avenue is rightly and justly open to them.

Quote:
Originally Posted by creekster View Post
And as I said before, what circumstacnes, in your mind (if there are any) would allow you to conclude that this guy should just walk away facing notihing? UNder what is reported I can't imagine any.

At least we all agree that this is a terrible tragedy.
If the family (and the court agreeing) were to extend him mercy, I'm not sure what the appropriate punishment would be, if any. I'm no expert on what the options are.

All I can say is, were this incident to happen to me, it would probably destroy my life. Living with the knowledge that I did such a thing would haunt me to my grave, far more than any jail time could ever do.

- Cali Coug

- Brigham Young
Old 03-10-2008, 05:44 PM   #56
creekster

Quote:

Tex, the victims here are either dead or in crticial condition. They will cooperate (especially the dead ones). The DA does nto need the family for anything.
Old 03-10-2008, 05:45 PM   #57
Tex

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeWaters View Post
Two victims are dead. Sad that if you are dead you can't be "willing and cooperative."
I was referring to the families. Our justice system has no way to recompense the dead for their loss.

- Cali Coug

- Brigham Young
Old 03-10-2008, 05:46 PM   #58
creekster

Quote:
No, but I don't know enough to say "he should be prosecuted." I leave that up to the family and the judiciary. I only acknowledge that the avenue is rightly and justly open to them.
SO after all that, the bottom line is you don't know. Man, you trully love to argue just to argue.
Old 03-10-2008, 05:46 PM   #59
MikeWaters
Demiurge

Imagine if one family wanted forgiveness, but the other two wanted to see justice. And then the DA says "forgiveness wins, my heart has been touched."

Wow. Tex's world is crazy.
Old 03-10-2008, 05:47 PM   #60
creekster

Quote:
I was referring to the families. Our justice system has no way to recompense the dead for their loss.
Our justice system is not abotu compensation. That would be our civil system. Our crimnal system is about punishment.