cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board  

Go Back   cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board > non-Sports > Religion
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-20-2007, 01:52 PM   #1
Archaea
Assistant to the Regional Manager

Archaea is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Nicean Creeds: Origins?

I know about Constantine setting up the conferences, but what about the theological debates during the conferences.

Does anybody have a good work that discusses what went on during those fourth century theological conferences.

I get my Church fathers mixed, so shoot me if I screw it up, but what were the beliefs as to God according to Origin, Jerome and others?

It seems odd that people now rely upon something that was dictated by an emperor wearing Sol Invictus to the conference. If Vladimir Putin or Hu JinTao dictated today a conference be convened to define a creed once and for all, how accurate do you believe the results would be?
Old 05-20-2007, 01:56 PM   #2
Archaea

Here's an interesting link.

In one sense, Arius sounds somewhat akin to LDS theology.

http://www.columbia.edu/cu/augustine...andt/nicea.htm

I've forgotten all this stuff so apologies for whom this is secondhand, second rate information.

More links.

http://www.sullivan-county.com/identity/trinity.htm

Last edited by Archaea; 05-20-2007 at 02:06 PM.
Archaea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2007, 02:23 PM   #3
All-American

All-American is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via MSN to All-American

Quote:
Originally Posted by Archaea View Post
I know about Constantine setting up the conferences, but what about the theological debates during the conferences.

Does anybody have a good work that discusses what went on during those fourth century theological conferences.

I get my Church fathers mixed, so shoot me if I screw it up, but what were the beliefs as to God according to Origin, Jerome and others?

It seems odd that people now rely upon something that was dictated by an emperor wearing Sol Invictus to the conference. If Vladimir Putin or Hu JinTao dictated today a conference be convened to define a creed once and for all, how accurate do you believe the results would be?
Origen predates the council of Nice, and is most known for having established his school at Caesarea, where Eusebius would later become bishop. Origen believed that the Father and the Son were of seperate but alike substances-- homoiousia, to be distinguished from homoousia, to be of the same substance. Eusebius was an admirer of Origen and seemed to be a proponent of his teachings. The debate of the Nicene council was essentially between the ideas of homoousia and homoiousia; the fate of the world hung on a diphthong. You'll notice that the Nicene creed doesn't really solve the problem. Athanasius, the bishop of Alexandria, would eventually win out the politicking battle and homoiousia was made heretical by the Athanasian creed.

I don't know much about Jerome, save that he translated the Bible into the Latin Vulgate. He doesn't seem to have stirred up much controversy in his lifetime-- I doubt that he ventured far from the safe grounds plotted out by the creeds.

Last edited by All-American; 05-20-2007 at 02:28 PM.
All-American is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2007, 02:26 PM   #4
All-American

Here's a link to Origen's De Principiis. Book one, in particular, gives a good sense of his thoughts regarding the nature of God.

http://www.newadvent.org/fathers/0412.htm
Old 05-20-2007, 02:41 PM   #5
Archaea

The debate is interesting in that it sprung from a minority position of Arius and Athanasius and Eusebius holding the majority position.

Perhaps to creat controversy we could baptize for the dead, Marcion, Pelagius and Arius, creating a Church of Heretics.
Old 05-20-2007, 04:26 PM   #6
pelagius

pelagius is on a distinguished road

Quote:

Arch, I recommend Roger Olsen's, The Story of Christian Theology: Twenty Centuries of Tradition & Reform. It covers much more than just the 4th century creeds, but it does include significant coverage of the development of the creeds and the players (like the Cappadocian Fathers and Athanasius).
pelagius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2007, 04:46 PM   #7
pelagius

Quote:
Originally Posted by All-American View Post
I don't know much about Jerome, save that he translated the Bible into the Latin Vulgate. He doesn't seem to have stirred up much controversy in his lifetime-- I doubt that he ventured far from the safe grounds plotted out by the creeds.
AA, I think the main controversy that Jerome was involved with was the Pelagian controversy. He and Augustine were both strong critics of Pelagius. Augustine was no doubt more influential in terms of Pelagius' ulitmate branding as a heretic, but Jerome said some pretty nasty things about Pelagius.
Old 05-20-2007, 07:33 PM   #8
All-American

Quote:
Originally Posted by pelagius View Post
AA, I think the main controversy that Jerome was involved with was the Pelagian controversy. He and Augustine were both strong critics of Pelagius. Augustine was no doubt more influential in terms of Pelagius' ulitmate branding as a heretic, but Jerome said some pretty nasty things about Pelagius.
Ah, you're just sticking up for your man.
Old 05-20-2007, 07:38 PM   #9
pelagius

Quote:
Originally Posted by All-American View Post
Ah, you're just sticking up for your man.
You got me. The acrimony wasn't exactly one sided.
Old 05-20-2007, 09:33 PM   #10
Sleeping in EQ

Sleeping in EQ is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:

I have an absolutely first rate book on this that I highly recommend. I've poked around more than a bit and William Rusch's "The Trinitarian Controversy" is fantastic. It has correspondances of Arius, Athanasius, Alexander of Alexandria, the Synodal Letter from the Council of Antioch, Eusebius, the Gregories (of Nazianzus and Nyssa)...it's a great book. The introduction, which concisely but accurately presents the positions of the 2nd century fathers, the apologists, and of other major thinkers like Hippolytus, Tertullian, Novation, Eusebius, and of course Clement and Origen (all the way up to the fourth century debates, and even to Augustine) is worth the price of the book alone.

Get this book!
"Do not despise the words of prophets, but test everything; hold fast to what is good; " 1 Thess. 5:21 (NRSV)

We all trust our own unorthodoxies.
Sleeping in EQ is offline   Reply With Quote